Shetland is now just a "county of Scotland"

Scorrie

It was called a county pre 1975 but even literature produced recently still describes it as such.

http://visit.shetland.org/about-shetland

If not a county, then this great piece of news would be non-existent

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2014/03/17/netball-squad-enjoys-intercounty-success/

It is not a borough or parish.

Whether Shetland is/was/will be a Scottish county is hardly the point for me, I feel no shared affiliation or identity with "Scotland". I have no issue with whether or not Scotland goes for independence, as I really feel quite indifferent and unaffected by what that lot do to themselves.

While the UK is large enough that the gross excesses of fringe thinking in the corridors of power is diluted by the rest most of the time to be almost tolerable, this isn't, and I don't believe an effect that can be expected to become established in a independent Scotland.

The majority of the electorate in Scotland is in the central belt and is predominantly leftist, this is clearly evidenced by Scottish voting patterns stretching back quite a while. We have seen a steady erosion of individual's rights and liberties under the last 15 years of limited leftist power out of Holyrood, and there is no reason to suspect that absolute power isn't going to exacerbate that in both speed of application and severity.

If Scotland will insist on paddling its own canoe, good luck to them, it really bothers me none what they do or where they end up. However, the only way I would consider continuing to live in Shetland as an integral part of an independent Scotland, would be if it was under more right wing rule. I'd rather stay in Shetland if it risked independence than tolerate any more looney lefty garbage as part of an independent Scotland, but if that doesn't happen I'd be actively looking to move to another country. Staying in a Shetland that is a county, or anything else of an independent Scotland, is the least desirable way I wish to spend my future.

Edited by Ghostrider

A couple of weeks ago I was having a look at that "Yes Shetland" facebook page and noticed a very cocky and arrogant attitude on it - in particular to anybody who doesn't agree with them. 

There was a woman who had innocently asked where the online petition in relation to Shetland, Orkney and Hebrides had come from and what it was.  The sneery reply she got from Yes Shetland was "Yawn.....who cares?.  80% and nothing less". 

Instead of addressing what I would call the "Shetland Question" they seem to dismiss and poo-poo any notion that Shetland might be looking for more autonomy.

This most recent post will hopefully not go unnoticed because it reveals the aggresive Scottish Nationalism that is lurking beneath the surface of the Yes Campaign...... 

Edited by Kavi Ugl

A job for Mr. Hall to do. If anyone is expert in this, it is he.

Kavi, that sort of response happens, you just need to not take such things so seriously and concentrate on the bigger issues. One would be, is there really a groundswell for an State of Shetland? This seems to be touched on many threads and at any chance.

Anyone know how you change a county into a state?

Still, the answer to the OP is that Shetland is a County of Scotland.

Probably the simplest solution would be for Shetland to join the Nation of Forvik. A kind of reverse take-over utilizing the Statehood that already exists with one of our closest neighbours.

Maybe we could elect a King or something. :)

Aye, aye, but would Forvik have us?!? Remember all those "underwater defences" too that were boasted about, we'd have no chance of a hostile union either, even an all out invasion by the entire SIC Naval Ferry fleet, if they survived the tide and got across the soond, they'd get get their bottoms ripped to shreds.

I think if the entire ferry fleet sailed with alll the Jarls squads from the last 10 years, that surely they could overthrow the Government and security forces of Forvik?

I think this is a very viable solution and should be considered forthwith. Someone should be painting the Proclamation immediately...

I think if the entire ferry fleet sailed with alll the Jarls squads from the last 10 years, that surely they could overthrow the Government and security forces of Forvik?

I think this is a very viable solution and should be considered forthwith. Someone should be painting the Proclamation immediately...

Erase 'Forvik' and replace with 'an Independent Scotland'....   :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...