Young People Gathering

Colin

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/09/14/councillor-appalled-by-what-he-saw-at-harrison-square/

Several questions here.  The main(?) one (for me anyway) is "what business has Councillor Duncan got in travelling 30 miles (or so) at past midnight on a weekend to just to 'observe' events in the town" ?   (Guess that he might be breaking one or more of the 'rules' by doing that.  Hope that he feels 'good' about himself)  We already have a police force that is supposed to do that (observe) and I don't think that we need 'curtain twitchers'...

Disappointing though that so many 'young uns' have so much disregard for the health and safety of others.  At Mr Duncan's age, I would have stayed well clear of the lot of them...  :roll:

Disappointing though that so many 'young uns' have so much disregard for the health and safety of others.  At Mr Duncan's age, I would have stayed well clear of the lot of them...  :roll:

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/12000-people-day-could-die-covid-19-linked-hunger-end-year-potentially-more-disease

12,000 people per day could die from Covid-19 linked hunger by end of year, potentially more than the disease, warns Oxfam

As many as 12,000 people could die per day by the end of the year as a result of hunger linked to COVID-19, potentially more than could die from the disease, warned Oxfam in a new briefing published today. The global observed daily mortality rate for COVID-19 reached its highest recorded point in April 2020 at just over 10,000 deaths per day.

‘The Hunger Virus,’ reveals how 121 million more people could be pushed to the brink of starvation this year as a result of the social and economic fallout from the pandemic including through mass unemployment, disruption to food production and supplies, and declining aid.

Median age by country

400px-Median_age_by_country%2C_2016.svg.

"Covid deaths"

94% of Americans who died from COVID-19 had contributing conditions: CDC

(Probably the same for the rest of the world)

400px-COVID-19_Outbreak_World_Map_per_Ca

We have eviction ban and the furlough scheme which simply cannot be sustained forever in their current form,

But the fact that we have this is one of the reasons we are not seeing the fallout from the psychological effect lockdown will have.

Its not like any other recession because the lockdown can be switched back on at the drop of a hat with minimal warning and that gives the chilling effect which makes people hesitant to do things they normally would.

Could famine and suicide spurred by lockdowns kill more than Covid?

Here are the top 5 reasons people kill themselves according to Health.com

Depression and other mental illnesses

Hopelessness

Feeling like a burden

Stressful situations

Isolation

Does it not seem like Lockdown and isolation and paranoia and overzealous rollout of now edicts they just pulled from where the sun doesn't shine would exacerbate all of these?

Would it not be reasonable to blame Lockdowns especially very long ones that can happen several consecutive times for causing deaths and possibly more deaths even elder abuse since people will direct anger at the situation at those they view as causing/prolonging it?

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/09/14/councillor-appalled-by-what-he-saw-at-harrison-square/

Several questions here.  The main(?) one (for me anyway) is "what business has Councillor Duncan got in travelling 30 miles (or so) at past midnight on a weekend to just to 'observe' events in the town" ?

It doesn't say when he travelled in to town......

Perhaps he'd done that earlier on, and had had a 'rest' in the Masonic while he waited for 1am to roll round. :ponders:

"After leaving his home in Dunrossness just before midnight, councillor Duncan arrived at the Victoria Pier car park at half past midnight and took up position to watch the Harrison Square area."

You should have gone to Specsavers..  :thmbsup

Bugg*r!............I guess so....... :wacko:

I quit wading through it by the time I got to the "selfish idiots" quote, I'd had enough of sanctimonious twaddle, so missed that line.

......the "flea " he has done a damned sight more than most of us would have

Of course he has. Most of us tend not to go around flogging dead horses or sticking our noses in where they don't belong.

If people want to conregate and risk catching a lurgie, it's neither his, nor anyone else's business to 'save' them. Those who choose to conregate are individually responsible for their own safety, nobody else.

If anybody dosen't want to risk catching said lurgie, there is one simple, easy and effective method - Stay the hell away from everybody else at all times until this all blows over. Its called taking responsibility of your own fate, nobody else should be expected to take responsibility for it.

Edited by Ghostrider

Well done to the "flea " he has done a damned sight more than most of us would have .

Yes, most of us would have had the good sense not to visit Lerwick after midnight and go "creeping around the place"  in order to "observe" what is going on, particularly as the police were already "on the job".  

Do we need a "crusader" when the local police are obviously aware of things ?

He appears to have dates, times and numbers.  Surprised that he did not take photographs as well.

There might have been a few "kids" there but I guess that at just after 01:00am most of the "crowd" who appeared from "3 different directions" were coming out of local pubs and getting a chip supper on their way home.

No masks.  Bad news for the pubs maybe.

No social distancing (?) More bad news for the pubs maybe.

I wonder if the man has an "agenda"

He has accused others of being "idiots".  I also wonder if he owns a mirror ?

^ I would suspect he's taking his job description as Vice Chair of the Council Community Safety and Resilience Board a tad too much on both the literal and serious sides than it was ever intended to be taken. It is, as I understand it, more of an overseeing and planning/preparation remit role, than a 'hands on' one, but perhaps I have misunderstood. :ponders:

Self appointed White Knights are seldom ever an overall 'good' thing, but who knows, if he's taking the role this seriously and in this way, maybe he'll be out next weekend with his broom and shovel and barrow sweeping up the broken Bukkie bottles before somebody does themselves an injury, so its not necessarily all bad either. Maybe.....

Edited by Ghostrider