Covid 19 / Coronavirus

Digby

You also wonder about the stats.......

Government administered tests and Government infection figures...... Governments don't exactly have a impeccable track record in such things now do they.

Yeah, I know some are already saying 'Oh, FFS, Ghostie's got is tinfoil hat on again'........and *if* I was advocating Corona was all an imaginary conspiracy of a New World Order and turning countries in to Police States, I'd agree with them, but I'm not saying that.

A balanced view depends on taking in to consideration ALL viewpoints, no matter how out there, apparently bizarre or obscure, considering them and then drawing the middle ground from them.

So far the POV that's being predominantly swallowed hook, line and sinker is the word of 'the man'.....who, lets face it as often as not is as out there and crackpot as those of the tinfoil hat brigade.

Yeah, 'dirs somethin gyaan aboot' no doubt, but is it as widespread, virulent, contagious or lethal as the man says it is? Is it even what the man says it is? We just have the man's word for anything of it, and you can either believe him, disbelieve him, or take it as advisory. Personally I'm sticking with the latter, meantime at least.

So, we have a forty odd bed ward sitting ready and waiting, which last I heard had barely seen a patient. We supposedly have 27 infected people in the isles...... Does anybody reading this actually know who any of them are? Are YOU one? Come on, there must be at least one of the 1+%, that posts on here.

(** mod edit - comments removed **)

Yeah, we had a very 'visual demonstration' with a patient airlift last weekend. I'm not going to dispute that somebody was seriously ill enough to require that Medivac, and I do sincerely hope that they have improved considerably as a result of it, whatever their ailment...... It may well have been this so-called 'Corona', like the man said..........but, I'm only taking that as advisory meantime, remember.

Yeah, I hear that 'they say' two anonymous folk in an anonymous old folk's home tested positive, I also hear 'they say' a GP someplace tested positive, and I also hear 'they say' that some wife that lives up the road says her kid tested positive after being at a party someplace........ The trouble with 'they say', as always, is that its not always true, and almost never accurate.......

Okay, so lets say all of the above folk are kosher, thats a minimum of 6, any takers for the other 21 vacant positions?

The Heir to the Throne and the PM both allegedly have it...... How very careless of the two most senior men in the realm, and at the same time....... Or a feeble attempt at empathy and camaraderie to help the plebs get with the program. Hmmmmm......... Tough call where those two are involved.......

Who knows, it may all be the God's honest gospel truth the man is spewing out, but there's also smoke and mirrors, and the trouble with the man is he's as good at the latter as its almost impossible to tell it from the former, and he can flip flop between them seamlessly.

Yeah, I'll practice 'social distancing', its good advice for any winter quarter, for there are always assorted spewins, skytters, caulds an flus or 'something gyaan aboot', and I prefer not to get them, or if I already have one but don't know it, not to pass them on the few folk I do come in to contact with. Its no hardship, as what's being pushed as 'social distancing is a hell of a lot closer than I prefer to be to a whole shed load of humans I could name......

Folk in hysterics like it was the Bubonic Plague returned and the damn fool panic buying is seriously getting on a raw nerve now though.

What's fact, and what's smoke and mirrors will only be known after the fact, if at all, so, until then, on advisory.

If its gonna get me, its gonna get me, and if it kiils me, I'll be dead. Gotta go of something, sometime. Kinda always figured it would come to me at 80 or 90 (mph, not years) obliterated in the face of oncoming traffic, but whatever.

Panic never helps with anything let alone solves it, but sometimes pragmatism does.

Edited by admin

I don’t think many are panicking, but I’d like to think they are taking on board the advise and lowering the risk to themselves and others.

The idea that this is some world wide conspiracy is just daft, the large numbers of people dying around the world is worrying and where this differs from flu is younger, fitter folk are also being killed by it.

One of my close friends can confirm that they are related to one of the latest people from a care home, who has been tested and confirmed to be positive for Coronavirus. Despite being very healthy for their age, they have been hit hard and whilst your own views may be “If it’s gonna get me, it’s gonna get me and if it’s gonna kill me I’ll be dead” is all very well, but for my friend this is a very worrying time of concern for her much loved relative. 

To suggest that, as we don’t know who the 27 locals are, therefore is someone feeding us a pile of bull, is not only ridiculously but unfair to our medical services. I agree it’s unlikely to be 27, because due to the lack of testing it will be 100s more. So I , like many others who care about catching this vile virus and want to continue living, are hoping that if I take all the precautions and advice, that it’s not gonna get me, it’s not gonna kill me and I’ll remain alive.

A balanced view depends on taking in to consideration ALL viewpoints, no matter how out there, apparently bizarre or obscure, considering them and then drawing the middle ground from them.

Flawed logic. A "balanced view" would involve discounting "viewpoints" for which there is no evidence, and adjusting your position as more evidence becomes available.

Also, for your conspiracy theory to hold water, it would require many thousands of healthcare workers, including locals who have already been willing to stand up against central NHS advice, to en masse be willing to mislead the public. I consider that to be very unlikely indeed.

Edited by Davie P

Some people ARE panicking, look at the state of the shelves in Tesco's over the last few weeks.  If they weren't panicking, they wouldn't have been panic buying.

The cries on social media to shut down construction sites, shut down this, shut down that; the economic fall-out from this is going to be huge.  Many companies do not qualify for assistance if wanting more than £250,000 as directors are having to give personal guarantees and if they have already used company assets as security on other loans, they won't get a penny.

We will know within the next two to three weeks just how deathly or not this pandemic is.  The media is partially to blame for whipping up fear into a frenzy, instead of accepting that people's immune systems do deteriorate with age and older people do die yet the majority of people will survive.  We don't live forever.  Society has a problem on the whole with accepting that death is part of life.

Never mind, let's try to protect everyone, have no jobs to return to, be bankrupt, have no food and die of starvation.  As Ghostrider has pointed out, sooner or later we have to reach critical mass.  Italy is reported to have had problems a couple of years ago with a normal flu outbreak, their hospitals couldn't cope back then.  Italy is on the verge of social unrest with people starving there and folks have no savings left.  Lockdowns can only last for so long.  Governments need people working in order to provide services, etc.  And when folk have had the virus, recovered, they are going to want to return to work IF there is a job remaining for them.

We already know how deathly this pandemic is. We just need to look at other countries, such as Italy, or are their figures all made up as well.

Whilst I accept older people’s immune systems deteriorate with age, can I remind you this is affecting people if all ages. We all know and accept that death us part of life, but try telling that to the parents of the healthy 14 year old who has just died with Coronavirus.

As the owner of a business that’s had to shut it doors, I for one would rather be bankrupted than dead. At least I can do my best to rebuild my business. These conspiracy theories does nothing to help the situation and at worst invite sceptics to ignore the advice and put more strain on our vital services

@ Windwalker - Nobody wants to lose anybody, but whether we like it or not, people die all the time around the world.  This isn't the world's most deadliest pandemic - fact.  It is the first many people have any experienced in their lifetimes, yes.  The flu, TB, etc., also affect people of all ages.  The majority of people have recovered from the virus, something the media seems to want us to ignore.  Not conspiracy theories, just plain facts.  Go on John Hopkins University website if you don't believe me.

And what about completely skipping over the effects of the NHS being flooded with cases? It's a pretty sizeable gaping hole in the take it on the chin approach. It was enough to get the government to change their plans - which should be telling you something (and it's not just about their reelection chances before anyone makes that cheap shot). Also the fact that it was near universally slated as a terrible idea across the globe by the majority *gasp* actual experts.

There is no doubt that Corvid-19 is a "nasty little sausage", and that a lot of people are "at risk", but we should all "get a grip" and stop slavishly following the televised "saturation" coverage.  Every time I put the telly on, I see nothing but "talking heads" telling us what we must/must not do.  I didn't know that we were a country so full of "experts" !!, and I'm getting a little fed up with the "glee" that the media seems to have in thrusting so many crap and meaningless interviews on us.

I got a dose of Swine Flu a few weeks back.  Didn't enjoy it one bit and felt quite ill but, I was dismayed to find out that NHS Shetland knew it was about but didn't advertise it. !!  I wonder how many people with "underlying health problems" died from that one ?

Also, why keep that one quiet but shout from the rooftops about "Kung Flu/Woo Han Floo" (call it whatever you like).

Ghostrider is not the only one getting "frustrated" with the whole business.

@ Windwalker - Nobody wants to lose anybody, but whether we like it or not, people die all the time around the world.  This isn't the world's most deadliest pandemic - fact.  It is the first many people have any experienced in their lifetimes, yes.  The flu, TB, etc., also affect people of all ages.  The majority of people have recovered from the virus, something the media seems to want us to ignore.  Not conspiracy theories, just plain facts.  Go on John Hopkins University website if you don't believe me.

Sorry, been out for my one a day walk. I agree, there has been worse pandemics, and hopefully most who get this will hopefully get a mild version. The conspiracy theory issue was a reply to Ghosties post. I think he fell out of bed this morning and bashed his head, he needs a padded foil hat.  ;-)

As I see it the main reason for all this lockdown is to let the health services cope, with what could be a fast increase in those needing hospitalised, hopefully saving as many lives as possible. If I can do my bit to help that, I will. 

There is no doubt that Corvid-19 is a "nasty little sausage", and that a lot of people are "at risk", but we should all "get a grip" and stop slavishly following the televised "saturation" coverage.  Every time I put the telly on, I see nothing but "talking heads" telling us what we must/must not do.  I didn't know that we were a country so full of "experts" !!, and I'm getting a little fed up with the "glee" that the media seems to have in thrusting so many crap and meaningless interviews on us.

I got a dose of Swine Flu a few weeks back.  Didn't enjoy it one bit and felt quite ill but, I was dismayed to find out that NHS Shetland knew it was about but didn't advertise it. !!  I wonder how many people with "underlying health problems" died from that one ?

Also, why keep that one quiet but shout from the rooftops about "Kung Flu/Woo Han Floo" (call it whatever you like).

Ghostrider is not the only one getting "frustrated" with the whole business.

I agree that the telly is full of this on most channels from morning to night. I would be happy just having an update once a day. Time they all stopped yappin and stuck on some good films etc

As I see it the main reason for all this lockdown is to let the health services cope, with what could be a fast increase in those needing hospitalised, hopefully saving as many lives as possible. If I can do my bit to help that, I will. 

100% agree. And the knockon effects of health services being inundated with coronavirus cases is other more 'routine' treatments being affected. And if we hit saturation with coronavirus, other urgent cases will be competing for resources.

For the people on here advocating the 'survival of the fittest' approach', spare a thought for the health professionals who would be left with the hellish decision of who would receive treatment and who would be left to let nature take it's course.

• admin changed the title to Covid 19 / Coronavirus