Covid 19 / Coronavirus

Digby

How aboot dis for a plan.... We should aa try to work sense until folk come up we a vaccine.

I should liklee try to find a YouTube video o folk workin sense, as YouTube videos seems to be da wye tae mak a point here. But I doot it widna be very interestin - it wid joost be folk doin normal stuff, spikin aboot da weather, gettin on wee each idder, wearin facemasks... and generally workin sense.

This disease mutates too quickly for a vaccine to be effective for the same reason we don’t have a “Cure” for cold and flu

You may be vaccinated against the variant common in December but by February or even January the disease could have mutated to have adapted to the vaccine and be ready to infect already vaccinated individuals.

All it took was for the disease to breed inside a Mink in Denmark and BOOM the risk of immunity to the existing and the vaccine no-longer working within a few generations (viruses breed quickly), we are also getting tonnes of asymptomatic strains developing these spread much more quickly as they do little to alter the behavior of the infected that could get you heard immunity until next years strain.

You could get 18 vaccines a year for a relatively mild disease or you could let everyone go back to their normal lives and offer a special safe space for those afraid of getting it to hide in until this blows over.

Maybe just an updated version of the Anderson shelter but barracks or commune design means you would be less reliant on one of those spooky meat, cloth and flesh covered coronavirus walking skeletons to deliver your food and potentially infected individuals could be kept far away.

Green Bank West Virginia is a safe space for those apparently allergic to WIFI the proof is in the pudding that safe spaces can work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMChO0qNbkY

Have you looked into how the first vaccines were developed? i think it gives great incite into how diseases evolve and adapt.

selectively breeding of the potent strains the disease and putting it through an environment that would create a disease with maladaptive characteristics making a less potent version that would be sent into the patient to die leaving the patent with antibodies capable of killing the real Macoy of the disease.

Diseases like Cold, Flu and SARS type viruses adapt quickly the reason we limit seasonal flu vaccines to specific people is because the odds of a vaccine resistant strain spreading is high.

ordinary flu vaccines like those in 2018 or 2019 only a small few and since most of the people they meet were unvaccinated against cold and flu thus if a vaccine resistant strain spreads in the wild it has no innate advantage over the ordinary flu in the wild.

if you took Roundup resistant weeds that have developed naturally as a response to that being in the environment and planted them in areas where no herbicides were used its poison tolerance would not help it out compete the existing wildlife the adaptation may even die out as no selection pressure would reward these genes further down the line in descendants of those specimens.

Edited by NullVoid

Forgive me NullVoid, but I’m no goin tae got intae a langwinded debate we somebody dat weaves such a confused (or mibee joost confusing) web o disjointed theories and uses dubious YouTube videos as dir main source. If du came we some evidence I might be interested in dat, but I hae nae interest or time fur sittin watching aa yun bruk.

I’m quite happy to tak da sensible precautions recommended by da medical professionals and toddle alang we things. For all I ken or care, dir mibee is some grand conspiracy workin against wis aa ahint da scenes but as lang as I hae twaree friends, family and food on da table den I’m no dat buddered.

Forgive me NullVoid, but I’m no goin tae got intae a langwinded debate we somebody dat weaves such a confused (or mibee joost confusing) web o disjointed theories and uses dubious YouTube videos as dir main source. If du came we some evidence I might be interested in dat, but I hae nae interest or time fur sittin watching aa yun bruk.

I’m quite happy to tak da sensible precautions recommended by da medical professionals and toddle alang we things. For all I ken or care, dir mibee is some grand conspiracy workin against wis aa ahint da scenes but as lang as I hae twaree friends, family and food on da table den I’m no dat buddered.

What conspiracy are you talking about?

i was merely talking about possible solutions and ways people made vaccines since it was the same way you breed wolves into the vast range of different shapes dogs come in.

First vaccine was a guy chanced upon a disease like cowpox to inoculate against smallpox, odds of finding that for every disease are slim so you have to make it.

As for the other think i was talking about "safe spaces" I was not saying that they ARE allergic to WIFI i am just saying they believe they are in danger,

because it would be ridiculous to force everybody to live like Mennonites to accommodate these people there is a better way.

give them a nice place where they can feel safe, not because they arent talking nonsense but for their own psychological well being.

Because we have those who will NEVER be willing to lift the lockdown,

create an equivalent to Green Bank that can be a Lockdown resort for the new normal cult so they can live their new normal and we can get on with our lives, just furlough them an bring in some guy who did the same type of job but got laid off over the lockdown.

Edited by NullVoid

Does du really tink it's desirable or achievable to segment da community in da wye du proposes?

Fae whaur I see it wir community is a broad church dat welcomes and accommodates folk o all opinions and beliefs, and is aa da stronger fur it. I'm no sure dat diggin aroond on YouTube and circulatin evidence-less nonsense to fuel folk's paranoia helps we dat.

the objective is for them to not worry about getting infected and return when they feel safe.

not necessarily a matter of opinion but the fact that so many are having to put their lives on hold for an infinitely expanding Lockdown.

This way only the people who want to be in lockdown have to be.

Seems like a win win!

should we just continue to have police beat up anyone who protests the lockdown, record lines at foodbanks and mass layoffs and evictions inching closer and closer once the furlough ends, forever?

Are we going to stick with Ad-Hoc law creation and Police confiscating Easter eggs and nonessential items next year?

(unless they are protesting or celebrating something PC no rules on masks or against gatherings there)

What Evidence do you need, if you are more specific i could perhaps provide?

I could just hazard a guess that you want me to prove Lockdown isn't working or its doing more harm than good.

I am not talking about measures taken to slow the spread i am talking about needless shutdowns,

During polio did we have problems with Coopers being deemed essential to make barrels and boxes but logdrivers being nonessential so they couldn't get the wood?

Like Meat not being packaged because bulk supplies of plastic wrap and tape not getting to market on account of it being "nonessential"

NO this is a new thing not existing prior to 2020 due to all the government of belt and road countries imposing lockdown edicts.

Why are we seeing more outbreaks in poorer areas?

because richer areas can actually buy 2 weeks worth of food and refrigerate it and afford to stay at home.

better build another Nightingale hospital for 20,000 and order 40'000 ventilators for 3 actual patients and another empty testing facility  that is always overbooked.

Does du really tink it's desirable or achievable to segment da community in da wye du proposes?

Fae whaur I see it wir community is a broad church dat welcomes and accommodates folk o all opinions and beliefs, and is aa da stronger fur it.

Why not, both the left and right of the political spectrum have made it the mainstay of their work for decades.

You'll be welcome and accomodated unless raise questions concerning the Govt/Medics rhetoric on the 'rona, than you're a reckless, irresponsible, callous 'Covidiot......

You'll be welcome and accomodated if you let every Tom, Dick or Sally wander in and out of your country as they please, but dare question the wisdom of such a policy and you're racist, xenophobic or something.

You'll be welcome and accomodated if you yield to the demands of people who have undergone significant artificial chemical treatments to alter gender specific aspects of their appearance to be more like those of another gender, and/or have had surgery to significantly alter their genitalia, to be identified as a gender of their choice, otherwise you're transphobic, homophobic or god knows what.

You'll be welcome and accomodated as long as you don't express an opinion that some self-righteous do-gooders on a white-knighting crusade deem *might* be 'offensive' to some other segment of the community, then of course you are the scum of the earth who must be silenced at all costs. Holyrood is doing their best to make it so as we speak.

You'll be welcome and accomodated as long as you conform to the perceived societal 'norm', but choose to live any form of 'alternative' lifestyle, which bothers nobody and affects nobody but yourself, and you have Social Services continually badgering you, that you must be a 'nutter' and 'you must need help'.

Yeah, the status quo works very well at making everyone "Welcome and accomodated", doesn't it.

I don't think segmentation of the population need be a concern for anything, with the way religion, politics and nowadays the lifestyle and thought police fragment the population every day. 'Welcome and accomodated', *if* you get with the most popular program on the day, not everybody 'welcome and accomodated' every day, regardless.

Edited by Ghostrider

Nah nah, I'm no gettin involved we dis level o apocalyptic pleepsin. Dry your eyes boys and try no let folk annoy you sae much.

I'm finished me wark so I'm aff for a walk and I'll liklee nip intae da shop. Da only inconvenience is dat I'll pit me mask on whin I get dare.

On me walk I'll liklee meet some folk dat subscribe tae a different religion, vote for a different political party and dirs a wife dat works in da shop dat came fae anidder country. Dir's even a gay fellow I sometimes meet. My heavins! Whit is da world comin tae!

Dey'll liklee try to pinch my pint o milk, or try tae convert me, or try tae turn my pilly intae a tootie, so I tink I'll joost byde home and complain aboot dem on da internet.

Yes

That's the most long winded way of saying 'No' that I have ever seen

I did link to it you could have read it too most of that was a reply to your other comment about infection

I see. 

So really when you presented this as fact:

Professor Carl James Heneghan of the University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine published a study that finds the difference between wearing a mask or not is negligible.

what you actually meant was something more along these lines:

Professor Carl James Heneghan of the University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine published a study  wrote an opinion piece in the right wing press that finds the difference between wearing a mask or not is negligible. cherry picks some points from a Danish study into whether surgical masks which are designed to stop a person spreading an infection would also be an effective prophylactic for a non infected wearer.

I'll rephrase my original question, had you read the study prior to your original post? 

HUR DURRR I IGNORE THE FACT MOST MASKS BEING USED IN SHOIPS ARE NONSURGICAL!

what you actually meant was something more along these lines:

Professor Carl James Heneghan of the University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine published a study  wrote an opinion piece in the right wing press that finds the difference between wearing a mask or not is negligible. cherry picks some points from a Danish study into whether surgical masks which are designed to stop a person spreading an infection would also be an effective prophylactic for a non infected wearer.

I'll rephrase my original question, had you read the study prior to your original post? 

Yes, do you have a point to make or are you going to just be pedantic over this?

Article was about masks something the World Health Organization flip flopped on!

You have a problem with cherry picking yet 100% ok with sites appointing ministries of truth to “check facts” and could not fathom these ministries cherry picking and slandering as per own bias, if not now once they are allowed to take root.

I noticed you added "wrote an opinion piece in the right wing press"

Why exactly did you see it pertinent to add that?

back to my original point

To be honest most will in time view these “fact” checkers as spokesmen for a political party.

Why not just have a multiparty fact checkers since social media companies insist on them,

All you need is a few international partisan organizations and for national political parties to endorse their favored one

So under every shared article

www.Any.website/article

for a hypothetical example:

The Labour party declares this false

Ukip declares this a mixture of fact and fiction

The Conservative Party declares this false

The SNP declares this false

The Liberal Democrats declare this false

Why not we are headed in that direction anyway

Edited by NullVoid

HUR DURRR I IGNORE THE FACT MOST MASKS BEING USED IN SHOIPS ARE NONSURGICAL!

What conclusion did the Danish study draw about non surgical masks?

I realise you haven't read the study, but I suggest you do, if you want to continue the discussion in a way that doesn't make you look like, dare I say it, a 'triggered snowflake'. 

Yes, do you have a point to make or are you going to just be pedantic over this?

The point is that you posted an absolutely untrue statement to try and  misrepresent the effectiveness of masks. There is nothing pedantic about me pointing that out. Reality is still important, for the most of us at least.

Article was about masks something the World Health Organization flip flopped on!

You have a problem with cherry picking yet 100% ok with sites appointing ministries of truth to “check facts” and could not fathom these ministries cherry picking and slandering as per own bias, if not now once they are allowed to take root.

Yes I have a problem with cherry picking.  The rest of your sentence is gibberish.  

I noticed you added "wrote an opinion piece in the right wing press"

Why exactly did you see it pertinent to add that?

Erm, because that is what it is. Or do you find 'The Spectator' a bit too leftie for your liking perhaps?

back to my original point

To be honest most will in time view these “fact” checkers as spokesmen for a political party.

Why not just have a multiparty fact checkers since social media companies insist on them,

All you need is a few international partisan organizations and for national political parties to endorse their favored one

So under every shared article

www.Any.website/article

for a hypothetical example:

The Labour party declares this false

Ukip declares this a mixture of fact and fiction

The Conservative Party declares this false

The SNP declares this false

The Liberal Democrats declare this false

Why not we are headed in that direction anyway

Only that isn't the whole of your original point. You've deleted the bit where you posted an absolutely false statement to try and make it look like masks had been proven ineffective.

Oh you still didn't say if you'd even read the study or not, but don't worry about it, folk can draw their own conclusions.

Yes I have a problem with cherry picking.  The rest of your sentence is gibberish. [because i dont like the idea of questioning "fact checkers" it is impossible for an origination with fact in the name to be nonimpartial]

The "gibberish"

[you are] 100% ok with sites appointing ministries of truth to “check facts” and could not fathom these ministries cherry picking and slandering as per own bias, if not now once they are allowed to take root.

You are just dwelling on me citing this incident of a fact checker

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cnn-washing-machine/

I bet we would be arguing over the existence of this washing machine if i had used that example to argue against the absurdity of these ministries of truth.

Although it should have been obvious that the Babylon Bee piece was just a spoof of the ongoing political brouhaha over alleged news media “bias” and “fake news,” some readers missed that aspect of the article and interpreted it literally.

Gonna need some proof a substantial amount of readers believed this, surveys polls etc! where are they!

anyway here is a completely real news story about setting aside differences everything after this video is NOT a reply to your post

I do prefer to live and let live, but that doesn’t work when dealing with people who refuse to leave you alone.

I the following is my anecdotes and opinions but I think the difference between left and right are inconsolable without a compromise.

If not they will just stack the deck against the other and just keep kicking as hard as they can until the boot goes on the other foot and they get the same until the pendulum swings back and the cycle repeats.

Left wing types think the Right is Evil/Stupid

Right wing types think the Left is Loopy/Mislead.

Each categorizing smarter ones in the former and dumber in the latter,

Its not really about how intelligent you are its about what kind of life you want to live possibly a genetic component every place has a mixed bag and one dominates the other.

There are also plenty of liberally minded people who hate the liberal political establishment so much they back the other team,

Plus plenty of Conservatively minded people who hate the Conservative political establishment so much they back the other team.

When they leave their communities to settle elsewhere right wing types gravitate towards the open range/ small town and in extreme cases go off grid.

Left wing types gravitate towards settling in larger cities and in extreme cases mega cities.

We need the ports, roads, truckers and transport system.

Want to get something from Fair Isle to Yell?

You will likely pass through Mainland Shetland where many crucial supplies are also docked making the mainland island unsuitable for a quarantine island.

Lets say if we encouraged everyone afraid of catching covid to a go to safe place and made everyone who stayed ineligible for NHS Covid-realated treatment (excluding key workers) so they don’t overload the nhs after all it was our choice and I will willingly wear my DNACPR(if covid) band if that’s what it takes to get the lockdown lifted.

Those unwilling to hunker down in the Covid-bunker either die or achieve immunity while the Pro-Lockdown guys wait until it is safe to return to a land inhabited by those either strong enough to survive or smart enough to dodge it.

Men tend to be more competitive and women trend to be collectivist,

Pre lockdown you literally saw the latter moving in herds and that’s why the line for the women’s toilet is often full of people who don’t even need to go.

Stacking the deck has consequences.

In Zimbabwe “conservative” Ethnonationalists won.

Decided to oppress the “liberal” natives who saw some benefit in Europeans being there so besides taking the land they also slaughtered the Zimbabweans who worked with the Rhodesians because they were obstacles to his Nativization programe.

Make Rhodesia Zimbabwe again.

In Mainland China “Liberal” Maoists won

Killed many traditionalist type people and to this day introduces policies to oppress dissenters during “The cultural revolution".

interesting parallels between these and the modern western left

If you hate the Chinese gov in china you get a low social credit score and aren’t allowed to leave China or work to get the money to save and get away.

In Korea You have Communists in South Korea that should just move north but cant and a regime that goes to great lengths to stop people leaving, surely a peaceful population exchange would help if it were possible.

Personally I hope the left and right can set aside their differences and focus on oppressing Centrists, Nonpartisans and Swing voters like in above video though I might end up a head in the mountain of skulls as a result

Same with Lockdown and Anti-lockdown, controlling disease in a small area is more cost effective than forcing everyone to lockdown and has less odds of wildlife spreading disease as we can realistically only limit human contact all it takes is a fluffy kitten to rub its head against your leg and you are at risk because it might lick your skin and give you coronavirus.

Nah nah, I'm no gettin involved we dis level o apocalyptic pleepsin. Dry your eyes boys and try no let folk annoy you sae much.

I'm finished me wark so I'm aff for a walk and I'll liklee nip intae da shop. Da only inconvenience is dat I'll pit me mask on whin I get dare.

On me walk I'll liklee meet some folk dat subscribe tae a different religion, vote for a different political party and dirs a wife dat works in da shop dat came fae anidder country. Dir's even a gay fellow I sometimes meet. My heavins! Whit is da world comin tae!

Dey'll liklee try to pinch my pint o milk, or try tae convert me, or try tae turn my pilly intae a tootie, so I tink I'll joost byde home and complain aboot dem on da internet.

:lol: :thmbsup

• admin changed the title to Covid 19 / Coronavirus