Covid 19 / Coronavirus

Digby

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Roachmill said:

"Better than some" I would say. I did do a double-take at the radio today when I heard an actual Tory MP say the Scottish government had done some things better. Glad I wasn't eating at the time or I'd likely have choked on it.

I would have been a bit more surprised if Krankie could not have done better than Boris and his bunch of 2nd rate 'Good Time Charlies'.  :|

Da principle o testin aabody comin in tae da isles at ports and airports seems lik a very sensible idea.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/islands/2927305/covid-testing-at-island-entry-points-to-be-discussed-with-ministers/

But I canna help tinkin dat if we get dat set up, why can idder places no demand da same? Whit reason wid dir be to no allow ony idder town or area to hae tests on da roads in and oot? Whit maks wis different?

At first glance, yes it does seem sensible, and we should do it because we can!!!

However, looking past the headline leads me to wonder how we would treat those that test positive.  Would we quarantine them and the whole boat/plane as well just for good measure ?  After all, both are just floating/flying Petri Dishes..

How would we treat those who test negative ?  Would we keep them all in a 'holding area' and not release them  until the entire passenger/crew list have been tested.  ?  How quickly could you test a Northlink Ferry with 400+ passengers onboard ?

I read the link you provided and also followed on to the Faroe link on the page.

Testing a 2nd time (Faroe) after 6 days is not going to prevent the spread of the virus, it's just going to tell you that it's spreading. 

Furthermore, it would mean that, in theory, every last one of us would have to account for our movements 100% of the time.  A bit dystopian, but I guess that is the kind of thing that Hollyrood would relish..  :shock:

Do we actually have the capacity to do all these things ?

The countries that have succesfully eliminated the virus have shut their borders with strict quarantine measures on arrival for anybody wanting entry, anything less doesn't seem to work, the Faroese example in Muckle Oxters link suggests a single test on arrival definitely doesn't work, the twin negative tests 6 days apart has been more succesful but as Colin says it's still not enough to guarantee 0 cases without some kind of quarantine in place. Personally I think they're going to stick with suppression and continuing to put measures in place to try and keep any new strains at bay until a large proportion of us are vaccinated.

Edited by Capeesh

In a local context, I also happen to think that visitors should be tested at the point of departure for Shetland and, obviously, not allowed to travel if they are positive.  Not when they arrive here.

I am going to hate myself for saying this but, the only way to make sure we are 'virus free' is going to be by imposing something akin to a Police State..  Do we really want that ?

The alternative is continual 'measures' whilst we fudge ourselves into a way of living/dying with the virus.

23 hours ago, Muckle Oxters said:

But I canna help tinkin dat if we get dat set up, why can idder places no demand da same? Whit reason wid dir be to no allow ony idder town or area to hae tests on da roads in and oot? Whit maks wis different?

It could be allowed, but there would be far less point to it. We, as an island and some reasonable distance from nearest land masses have extremely few people coming in by other entry points than recognised ports and airports. Anyplace not an island as remote as us, how many possible entry roads lead in to them, and even if the massive logistic exercise of covering them was done, there's still those who'd get in un-noticed via any tracks etc, or simply by skuttin in owre sumeens rigs.

46 minutes ago, Colin said:

In a local context, I also happen to think that visitors should be tested at the point of departure for Shetland and, obviously, not allowed to travel if they are positive.  Not when they arrive here.

As I understand things, this is how flights abroad operate i.e. you have to present a clear test result (from within the previous 48 hours) certificate or you're not allowed onboard. As NHS testing does not furnish you with a certificate, you have to pay for a service that does. With all that faffery it'd be more than enough to put all but the most essential travellers off.

There's also the obvious problem in that what's to stop you catching the thing / developing symptoms between being tested and rolling up to the check-in desk? That's where the 2 week quarantine  "hotels" come in once folk make it into the country and, to be effective, we'd need similar here. The grumpy old man in me reckons, with vaccines getting pumped out at the rate they are, I'd imagine most of the adult population in Shetland would be covered by the time all of that was implemented.

Edited by Roachmill