Superfast Broadband Voucher Scheme

Frances144

Has anyone worked out the mire that is the Voucher scheme launched to help connect to superfast broadband?

If so, how far have you got?  Do all the costs get paid or do you have to pay some contribution yourself? 

This is for a croft house in the middle of the hill - our family home with the broadband speed of a snail and little, if any, mobile signal.

Anyone recommend a supplier? - https://broadband.gov.scot/supplier-coverage-in-scotland/#_Toc50815288

I would think we would have to use satellite.

All advice much appreciated.  I do not understand this world anymore.

With mobile phone technology improving G4/G5 ect, how many people are going to pay for both land line and mobile phone contracts at the same time, yes I know there is contracts that do that..

I can see the conventional phone line become a thing of the past fairly soon whether it be fibre or copper with the mobile phone being the preferred option for many.

It's down to cost ,how much are we prepared to pay,or able to pay. 

In view of that why would any company want to spend money on something that is becoming obsolescent.

Why run fibre to houses then find it unused as folk use mobile phones instead.

Just my opinion.

In view of that why would any company want to spend money on something that is becoming obsolescent.

Why run fibre to houses then find it unused as folk use mobile phones instead.

Just my opinion.

Because cell-towers use fiber and copper and there are loads of places in Shetland with crap phone signal,

if you get no service or "emergency calls only" at home you are going to want a cable.

Has anyone worked out the mire that is the Voucher scheme launched to help connect to superfast broadband?

If so, how far have you got?  Do all the costs get paid or do you have to pay some contribution yourself? 

This is for a croft house in the middle of the hill - our family home with the broadband speed of a snail and little, if any, mobile signal.

Anyone recommend a supplier? - https://broadband.gov.scot/supplier-coverage-in-scotland/#_Toc50815288

How far away do you need to walk to find somebody with a better connection?

You might want to look into where the circuits actually are.

You can also get mobile phone signal boosters which take a signal from a good spot and rebroadcast it to the spot where you want to use it.

get a good signal in that one spot in the garden?

hook it up to a 12v put in a waterproof box and your house can now get a signal!

Unfortunately morons think these devices are used to make broadband faster and the all have bad reviews from idiots,

Gsm signal booster/repeater or Mobile phone signal booster this might be a cheaper option than satellite but you should find out a bit more technical info first so you can calibrate these to the correct frequencies.

"Unfortunately morons think these devices are used to make broadband faster and the all have bad reviews from idiots,"

Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

How can you honestly describe people who do not understand what is, essentially, a mix of fairly complicated technologies (and a whole host of "what if's") as "morons" and "idiots"?

Are people who do not understand Quantum and String Theory also "morons" and "idiots" or is that OK because (maybe) you don't understand them either?

I wouldn't go superfast into the new Voucher Scheme just yet. More info regarding Broadband in Shetland as a whole is likely to be come available in the start of the new year. 

There are a few options floating about how best to use the voucher scheme, so that it benefits everyone not just those closest to the exchange, but nothing will happen until R100 data has been released come the start of next year.

How can you honestly describe people who do not understand what is, essentially, a mix of fairly complicated technologies (and a whole host of "what if's") as "morons" and "idiots"?

How it interfaces with the phone and compatibility is the complicated part,

WHAT it is is not really complicated.

and for some reason there seem to be a large cohort who think "Mobile phone signal booster" it is an internet speed increaser.

That is annoying since they drown out anything from those who used these for intended purpose and gave genuine reviews.

such as in bad signal areas

Are people who do not understand Quantum and String Theory also "morons" and "idiots" or is that OK because (maybe) you don't understand them either?

Are you saying conceptualizing a radio signal or other wireless signal or at least its impact on electronics designed to give and receive these signals is beyond what Joe Average is able to acknowledge and comprehend?

It is my understanding these products can only provide internet equal to or lower than(hardware bottleneck) what it picked up from the 4g network.

pocket sized versions available too

A phone signal Booster takes signal from one place and brings it over to the place where you need it,

it is as if you have your own personal cell tower which is really just a mirror image of a cell tower further away!

I don't think a Signal booster is a conceptually challenging issue.

Radio signal boosters and TV signal boosters have been around for decades and there doesn't seem to have been many people who struggle to figure out what those are supposed to do.

Edited by NullVoid

@nullvoid

Despite your usual stream of guff, waffle, and YouTube clips that hardly anyone but yourself bothers viewing, and despite the fact that you appear to have set yourself up as an authority on just about everything posted here, you still do not have the right to refer to a large majority of the population as "morons" or "idiots" for not knowing what, apparently, YOU know.