Xbox 360

Tito_Ortiz

I'm sitting on my hands in the hope that Sony will realise that when faced with the choice of a £200 XBox 360, £170 Wii, and a £400 Playstation 3...the majority of gamers will go for one of the other consoles.

I think I'll definately be buying a Wii though, if only just to play tennis with the new controller.

Don't own an xbox myself.. but from what i read they are starting to get some really good/fun games on the shelves.

and ofc the dance mats are always a good laugh at a party.

The Wii i think will become a household must in the next few years.. if this new controller works as good as i hope.. then there will be no need to go to the gym ever again :P.. but there could be a few more calls made to the psychiatric ward.. report some nutter has been waving his arms about like a loony in his/her living room

Just looked at the promotional video for the Wii and it does look a lot of fun although I think I'd maybe rather have a more "grown up" console first (if that makes any sense!)

Is it likely that Sony's Blu Ray technology will lose out to HDDVD's ? Also, I was told that PS3 games could cost as much as £80 a time?

Oh what to do . . . . . . . . ?!

I would doubt the games would be around £80. I think for every major console release in the last 10 years, there have been reports of the games being around £70-£80 quid a pop only for the games to retail at the normal £30-£40 range.

If Sony did start selling games at £80 alongside a console that costs £400+...it would be commercial suicide.

I'll be waiting for the PS3 myself although might have to have a look into the Wii in the meantime (there is always room for some childishness) .

Sony have alway seemed to me to really want to produce good games. Micro$ on the other hand are just into making money. Maybe thats me just being anti-micro$.

PS3 cost is mighty high but wasn't the PS1 £300 quid when released. Turn that into todays money and the PS3 look like a bargain. Sony are going to lose money on the first units sold too, which is an indication of how cutting-edge the technology in it is, the components cost a fortune. Ok so thats down to the Blu-ray stuff but the DVD player didn't make the PS2 a success and the music playing abilities of the PS1 never made it a success, that was down to the writing of good games on both counts.

Its all in the software, not the hardware.

The problem I can see with the PS3 relying on software to boost its sales (aside from the afore mentioned rumoured £80 games) is that there is no console specific title for it to push heavily at launch time.

Any Nintendo release is going to be pushed alongside a Mario game, and the XBox and XBox 360 were launched with Halo and Halo 2 respectively. As far as I can see, there really isn't any massive title that Sony will release that won't be available on the Wii or 360 within a few weeks. The only 2 big titles that I can think of that have been Playstation exclusive in the past are the Tekken series (which appears to have run its course) and the Gran Tourismo series. Even the former Playstation specific titles like Pro Evolution Soccer, Tomb Raider and Grand Theft Auto are now available on other consoles.

It's something I think Sony would need to address to become the definate leader in the Console Wars, they need a Sonic, a Mario or a Master Commander to be the drive behind their current sales much like Lara Croft was their drive behind the PS1.

Probably showing my age and my ignornace surrounding consoles - seeing as the last one I owned was an Atari 2600 ..

.. but the WipeOut 2097 game was pure excellence!! I nearly went out and purchased a PSP handheld thing just to play that again ... god I loved that game!

A souped up version of that would at least see one sale of this new console from moi?!

You've got a very good point Tomblands, from a marketing point of view this kind of character would be excellent for Sony.

Although I don't think Tomb Raider really drove PS1 sales that much, it was a success before that. And Sonic never did Sega much good.

And can the fact that so many games that were once specific to the PS* but then also became successful on other platforms really be held against Sony.

The Sony developers will inovate again and come up with new classics, Micro$ on the other hand I'm not sure will.

I'd definently recommend buying an Xbox 360, especially since the playstation 3 seems like a distant dream, April 2007?

As far as the package, go for the premium system every time, saves a fortune on the long run. You also get a one month trial of live where you can download about 50 game demos. Some of the demos are so extensive i often wonder whether "upgrading" to the full game is worthwile. If you've got a media center PC you can also stream mp3s divx etc from your PC wirelessly.

As far as games go you CANNOT go wrong with PGR3, simply stunning visuals (via component to HDTV), it's the consummate 360 driving sim. Call of Duty 2 is THE most intense FPS i have ever played, period, and if you ever needed a reason to buy the XBOX then check out the actual game footage of the upcoming Call of Duty 3 here:

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/callofduty3/video_player.html?id=ISFgn2Ct5bsPsjLd

As for price, you'll pay about 260 odds for it, although at christmas rumour has it there will be various xbox 360 + game bundles available for 250.

Whatever you do, get a wireless pad then hook the xbox up to a AV sender, then you can play it wirelessly in any room that has a TV in the whole hoose (handy when the wife chucks you oot to watch Eastenders!).

Don't regret my purchase of this piece of kit at all, i have a top spec gaming PC running COD 2 and it doesn't even come close to the XBOX 360.