Scottish Independence Referendum 2021

Davie P

Scottish Independence Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

10 hours ago, George. said:

I'm very glad to hear that you're no Royalist, neither am I and never will be.

But there is a price to pay. We are expected to pander to the old wee queen and the Greek waiter that she married.

Vote S.N.P. and tell royalty, loud and clear, just what they're worth to us.

I'm not a royalist either, but why vote SNP when they declared that they wanted to keep Lizzie as head of state ?

Edited by Colin

1 hour ago, Colin said:

I'm not a royalist either, but why vote SNP when they declared that they wanted to keep Lizzie as head of state ?

I've always thought that it was claimed to keep some people happy. Just like the Lib Dems, the Tories and Labour. Of course, IMHO, those three just pander to the guff.

But an awful lot of Westminster are descended from George II, Boris Johnson comes to mind.

Do the world a favour, vote S.N.P.

And it must be realised that in 1999 survey, two thirds of the Lib Dems supported retaining  the Monarchy.

Liberal Democrats

Edited by George.

46 minutes ago, George. said:

I've always thought that it was claimed to keep some people happy. Just like the Lib Dems, the Tories and Labour. Of course, IMHO, those three just pander to the guff.

But an awful lot of Westminster are descended from George II, Boris Johnson comes to mind.

Do the world a favour, vote S.N.P.

And it must be realised that in 1999 survey, two thirds of the Lib Dems supported retaining  the Monarchy.

Liberal Democrats

So we should vote SNP based on your thoughts rather than the SNP's declared intention ?   Sounds like a dangerous gamble to me..

I'm undecided, and whit's really useful is discussions aboot lang term pros and cons. Dis is a big decision dat will affect folk for mony a generation tae come, so lets no play silly buggers we it!

Dirs too much bruk spoken on social media (it's no sae bad here) dat is nothing more dan slagging aff politicians, historical grudges and thinly veiled racism - or sometimes joost flat oot racism! I'm no carin whether somebody looks lik Jimmy Cranky or somebody idder is a toff (dey'll be replaced soon enough onywye) or whit happened in da 1600s (unless it has direct relevance tae da matter in hand) or folk joost repeatin dir opinions and prejudices ower and ower again. It's far fae helpful!

I agree with a lot of what you've said @Muckle Oxters but not all. Some politicians have no right to complain about the slagging they've got because if they're guilty then they're guilty and have to take the flak, some historical grudges are justified (remember what James VI did to us?), and as I understand it you get a bit of racism from both sides of the argument.

But it would be a little more informative if a little less of the micky was taken, myself being one of the guilty bar stewards.

Edited by George.

36 minutes ago, George. said:

Some politicians have no right to complain about the slagging they've got because if they're guilty then they're guilty and have to take the flak

I'm no really fussed whether or no a politician gets a hard time - dey deserve to be scrutinised. But folk slagging dem on da internet.... whit does dat achieve? I certainly find it wastes a lot o folks time and attention hivin to read through it aa in da hope o findin somethin useful. If fok want tae 'slag' dem, write dem a letter or an email. I'm sure dey'll no be trawlin through Facebook tae see whit Jimmy fae Wastower wrote on Auld Maggie's page afore dey mak important policy decisions. 

36 minutes ago, George. said:

some historical grudges are justified (remember what James VI did to us?), and as I understand it you get a bit of racism from both sides of the argument.

I dunna 'remember' (i'm no 400 year auld!) ;-). Du mentions 'us' - it depends on whaa 'us' is, and den we're into da realms o 'us and dem' and I could equally point to numerous wyes Shetland has been treated unfairly by whaa-ever-else in da past. It's interesting fae a historical point o view and dir is plenty laws and whitno that can be traced dat far back, but I see nae particular relevance to da important decision we'll liklee be asked to mak soon. We could spend aa wir time goin back through history to find things we dunna lik and sayin 'look whit happen in da year 18-oatcake, wir ancestors wirna treated fairly by dir ancestors, so dir descendants most be a shower o knobs and we should cut wir noses aff tae spite dir faces - den dey'll be sorry'.

I tink we should learn fae da past but be lookin tae da future and tryin to find da best wye forward.

Edited by Muckle Oxters

I agree that it's an important decision @Muckle Oxters  and the facts folk need to help them make an informed choice are too often distorted for short term political gain and/or people wilfully misleading others to tip the balance toward their preference. It's one of the fundamental problems with a referendum - asking people to vote on something critical but not doing enough to make sure they have the information they need, and there's a challenge in how information is presented and by whom - true neutrality is almost impossible.

I find the FullFact website to be fairly neutral and has some interesting articles on Scottish Independence https://fullfact.org/scotland/

4 hours ago, Muckle Oxters said:

I'm undecided, and whit's really useful is discussions aboot lang term pros and cons. Dis is a big decision dat will affect folk for mony a generation tae come, so lets no play silly buggers we it!

Dirs too much bruk spoken on social media (it's no sae bad here) dat is nothing more dan slagging aff politicians, historical grudges and thinly veiled racism - or sometimes joost flat oot racism! I'm no carin whether somebody looks lik Jimmy Cranky or somebody idder is a toff (dey'll be replaced soon enough onywye) or whit happened in da 1600s (unless it has direct relevance tae da matter in hand) or folk joost repeatin dir opinions and prejudices ower and ower again. It's far fae helpful!

Well said Muckle Oxters, it seems that the SNP supporters are always telling folk that we should vote for independence. But I wonder if most or any actually know how such a vote will effect us in years to come. There is so little information on the actual outcome of becoming independent. These are huge issues and I for one will not vote blind. I would rather stay with what I know, than take a gamble that things will be so rosy in Nikkinoo land. 

it seems that those on here telling me to vote SNP to save the world ! And the constant hatred of anything Westminster really don’t have a clue of the outcome either or wouldn’t they be informing us of all the positives of ‘independence.

The William Wallace “Freedom “ attitude doesn’t answer the questions of how an independent Scotland will manage in the future, finance, borders with England, whether or not the EU were to allow Scotland back in etc. 
The E.U, will strip Scotland of its assets and have it sitting at the door with the begging bowl, dancing to its tune. That’s not independence.

So let’s hear from the staunch SNP people on here as to what the advantages are and what they think the negatives are, how we will survive financially, maybe you’ll convince me.

40 minutes ago, Windwalker said:

...maybe you’ll convince me.

At a very basic level I'd like my vote to go towards a party I align with and for said vote to stand a chance of making a difference at a national level. All while painting my face blue and shouting "FREEDOM!!!" at passers by of course /s

11 minutes ago, Roachmill said:

At a very basic level I'd like my vote to go towards a party I align with and for said vote to stand a chance of making a difference at a national level. All while painting my face blue and shouting "FREEDOM!!!" at passers by of course /s

Like it, but, if Scotland becomes independent the “national” level ceases to exist. Maybe your more informed about the benefits of independence than me or is being aligned more important than the outcome for the country ?

1 minute ago, BigMouth said:

Scotland voted to stay in the EU.

Your right that a majority of Scots voted to remain in the EU, but it was a U.K. wide vote, the majority voted out. Similar to the independence vote last a few years back, SNP supporters seem to have an issue with democracy, unless of course it goes their way.

for the record, I voted to remain in the EU, but fully accept democracy. Mind you the way they treated and continue to treat the U.K. now, has changed my mind. I’m glad we’re out.

Ahw come on, let’s start with the threats to cut off the UK’s electric supplies, block supply links etc. Macron is still at it. 

They don’t want the U.K. to succeed, why do you think they are causing issues at the borders. Now they want the UK’s supply of jabs and sturgeon is threatening to give them information to help them do it despite the government saying this information is classified. They are not happy the U.K. got out the block first and is leading the way, after they dithered for 3 months. Of course they still remind us they are our friends.

it’s pretty clear they will do what they can to hinder the U.K. succeeding.