Scottish Independence Referendum 2021

Davie P

Scottish Independence Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

As England is Scotlands biggest trading partner why leave. What has Scotland got that would make the EU want to have Scotland. Spain would most likely vote against having Scotland as it has its own problem with Catalonia. Scotland could end up being on its own. As money would be needed to run the country some things would have to change and here is three to start with. No more free prescriptions for medicine no free rail/bus travel food/fuel prices through the roof. There are better ways for Scotland to prosper.

I have no political allegiance to any party so the Prime Minister is very welcome, but doubt if I will go out of my way to meet him.

I would hope he is not led up the "garden path" with the "hot air" from our local town hall political representatives ,while democratically elected do not IMHO present the views of us all.

The bright ideas of many of our councillors and political "friends" are not necessarily shared by the wider community. They should remember that. 

PS. I would recommend a visit to Just Gents while he is here !

Edited by Urabug

41 minutes ago, Capeesh said:

Lets have a look at how the UK government treats councils in England to see if our council is onto a winner with Boris...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55754882

It's only a matter of time before all councils will be struggling even more for funds ,with the country now £2.5 trillion pounds in debt , or something like that, where is the money going to come from to fund all the many" hungry" departments . Something has to sacrificed, no money no honey.

Tough times ahead mainly caused by this pandemic. 

I can understand our council using Scottish independence to try and leverage more funds from central government whether it's Edinburgh or London. I think playing the two governments against each other is a high risk strategy and the people doing it are way out of their depth but that's just my humble opinion.

What I really don't like is being sold a pup  with pie in the sky promises. One being the bizarre belief that autonomy means the UK government would suddenly forget about the £2.5 trillion debt and bankrupt English councils and take the revenues they currently collect and blow annually from the waters around Shetland and gift them to us. (copyright Wir Shetland).

1 hour ago, Capeesh said:

I can understand our council using Scottish independence to try and leverage more funds from central government whether it's Edinburgh or London. I think playing the two governments against each other is a high risk strategy and the people doing it are way out of their depth but that's just my humble opinion.

What I really don't like is being sold a pup  with pie in the sky promises. One being the bizarre belief that autonomy means the UK government would suddenly forget about the £2.5 trillion debt and bankrupt English councils and take the revenues they currently collect and blow annually from the waters around Shetland and gift them to us. (copyright Wir Shetland).

There's still many eyes on what's left of our "oil "money and plenty of government officials who would like to see us spend it on projects, which should be government funded.

Who knows possible the PM maybe has ambitions to help us spend this money ,to create some employment and he will partly fund it.  Tunnels !!

Iceland and Faroe ,have, is it 200mile and 70 mile exclusion fishing boundaries ,this led to the demise of Aberdeen, Hull, and Fleetwood ,the end of the British trawlers, when they could no longer fish in Artic waters  the chances of Shetland ever getting our own exclusion zone, is slim and anyway with modern fishing techniques the amount of folk it would give employment to is probably very few, but still it would be good to have some controls over what should be our own waters.

Never get enough folk in Shetland to all agree about anything to make it happen.

Might be easier to identify all that is wrong and fix that before looking to go it alone.

EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zones) are for independent sovereign states not autonomous regions. For example the 'Falkland Islands EEZ' is the UK's EEZ, The 'Faroese EEZ' is Denmark's EEZ. If Scotland won independence they would have their own EEZ. It's up to the sovereign independent state to decide what they want to do with their EEZ.

The big fat lie that Wir Shetland tried to fool us with is this...

"Mr Tulloch sets out a case for autonomy based on Shetland’s “unique” position as an island group, that would see Shetland controlling the resources of its own 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). This would include the vast bulk of fossil fuels and a majority of the most productive fishing grounds at present in the UK EEZ."

link here...https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2015/12/28/wir-shetland-sends-explanation-to-islands-minister

I remember saying on here to supposed supporters of Shetland autonomy that we'd have more chance of a Faroese style of autonomy in an independent Scotland and was shot down in flames, then lo and behold a few months later I see Leslie Riddoch, a vociferous supporter of Scottish independence and admirer of the Scandanavian approach to government chairing a meeting in Shetland about Shetland autonomy.

Edited by Capeesh

• 1 month later...

Interesting development with Alex Salmond and others setting up another indy supporting party to stand on the list in the May election, the big questions are...Will they secure enough votes to pick up seats and who will they take seats from if they do?

Every party, including the indy ones, are in full panic mode so who knows what’ll happen?

I posted this on another thread but it's more approprite here

What would make this interesting to me is if the Alba party represent a fully independent Scotland, out of both the UK and the EU.

If that's made clear, along with the SNP plan of trying to rejoin the EU, it will be interesting to see how it splits the vote.

• 4 weeks later...