Scottish Independence Referendum 2021

Davie P

Scottish Independence Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

2 hours ago, MuckleJoannie said:

Michael Gove was brought up in Aberdeen.

Tony Blair was brought up in Edinburgh.

Any tangible contribution to Scottish politics by any of the two has been less than minimal, and has only come about through their involvement in English politics in the UK political sphere. IOW, coincidental rather than intentional.

Edited by Ghostrider

12 hours ago, MuckleJoannie said:

Michael Gove was brought up in Aberdeen.

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster?

Very Aberdonian.

Minister for the Cabinet Office?

Very Aberdonian.

Member of Parliament for Surrey Heath since 2005.

Aberdonian to the root.

JMOOC.

Edited by George.

• 1 year later...

It's going to be interesting, thats for sure.

As a lifetime pro-independence supporter, of course the idea is exciting but I am concerned about the timing. 

Mostly however, I hope we see no mention of the EU in the run up to any potential referendum. It has been relegated to "something we don't talk about" but the fact that up to 20% of the Yes vote last time was about getting Scotland out of the EU, it could be a big setback if EU membership is proposed.

11 hours ago, Spinner72 said:

Mostly however, I hope we see no mention of the EU in the run up to any potential referendum. It has been relegated to "something we don't talk about" but the fact that up to 20% of the Yes vote last time was about getting Scotland out of the EU, it could be a big setback if EU membership is proposed.

Does it really matter if the EU becomes an election issue ?   We all know that it's on the table anyway.

I respect Spinners views as I respect the views of those against Scottish independence, the chances of everybody agreeing on anything is zero. Thankfully because we are fortunate enough to not live in Putin's Russia or North Korea we have the best solution to these instances where we can't find universal agreement... 

Democracy!  

Put it to the electorate and they'll decide. 

That's the beauty of democracy, it's never static, it's one of the vital sparks that makes it all work. 

Yes, we voted to remain in the UK in 2014 and that's exactly what happened. Things have moved on though, the electorate has decided they want another referendum. 

The mandate to deliver a second referendum is ironclad. The parties who put it forward in their manifesto's have been democratically elected and have achieved a majority in the Scottish parliament to deliver it. 

Even if you're dead set against independence, or if you were a bit confused or didn't know what you were voting for when you put that X in the box, don't worry, democracy comes to the rescue again!!

The second democratic failsafe is the referendum itself where we, the electorate, get to decide how we proceed with a yes or no to a simple question.