Mobile signal / 4G / Wifi SMS

Davie P

I'm pleased to read that there's plans to improve the mobile network in Shetland, although it remains to be seen to what extent.

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/01/27/new-mobile-masts-to-boost-4g-coverage/

I get a sniff of a mobile signal in one window in my house. It wasn't really a problem (I'm old fashioned enough to prefer a landline) until banks and many other services started using SMS codes for identity confirmation, so if I want to check my balance I have to wander up the hill waving my phone around until I get the text.

I've tried the Vodafone Sure Signal boxes which use my broadband for routing mobile phonecalls but it doesn't do SMS, and I've had two stop working on me. And there's something fundamentally irritating about having to buy expensive boxes from Vodafone and use my own broadband to make up for the inadequacies of their coverage. It's not as if I get money off my contract for not getting a useable mobile service at home.

So, fingers crossed.....

^Would suggest that there are ways around mobile signal problems at home.

When I moved to Hillswick 10 years ago, the phone would work if I was standing right in the middle of the living room, or lying in the middle of my bed. In effect, no use whatsoever. For the last three or four years though, the mobile phones that I've used operate by connection to the wifi router when I'm in the house. That means the mobile phone works throughout the house now - and that makes a great big difference.

May well be worth considering something like that.

Edited by George.

24 minutes ago, Davie P said:

The problem isn't the actual mobile 'phone' signal which I get through the Wifi (the network on my phone comes up as 'Vodafone WifiCall'), the big irritation is that SMS text messages don't work over the Wifi.

I had exactly the same problem with the lack of SMS on Vodafone Wificall until I updated the software on my iPhone. Now it's text-message-a-go-go

2 hours ago, Davie P said:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately my old brick of a mobile probably won't be able to get a software update any time soon! But if Wificall an SMS works on an iPhone then I might investigate taking the plunge on a new mobile.

Davie P. As well as updating to a new phone, make sure your supplier allows you to use Wi-fi. If I mind right the likes of GiffGaff doesn’t. 

I'm on Vodafone, and it seems to be a relatively good coverage (apart from in my house!)

My understanding is that the SIC have a corporate contract with Vodafone so that swung my decision. My hunch was that the SIC must have done the research/applied some pressure to make sure the service in rural areas is OK? However, my hunches have been wrong in the past!

On 29/01/2021 at 16:49, Windwalker said:

Any views on the best provider, I’m with o2 and the coverage isn’t great in lots of places throughout the isles.

someone suggested EE, does anyone have any experience with them or is the likes of vodaphone better. 

Grateful for any thoughts

As I understand it, the mast on Collafirth is run by EE and it's the only mast around - but I get a vodafone signal. May well be worth considering.

Edited by George.

• 2 weeks later...
  • peeriebryan changed the title to Mobile signal / 4G / Wifi SMS

Looks good. I had a notion to put something like this in a while back, but opted for the plug-in style instead, purely because I wasn't certain what was going to need moving. I think these are a seriously good option though. Getting a couple of wifi zones across the house makes a big odds.

• 1 month later...