What makes us different, if anything?

If you have moved to Shetland, I'm curious to know, is there anything you think it's different about the people here. This could be in terms of community, or in terms of how we relate to the land or each other or.. well anything at all, really.

Good or bad.

I don't want to start a bunfight, so if there are any Shetland folks likely to get offended by less than complimentary responses, maybe just give this thread a hard pass.

Well PollyAnna, for your 1st ever post here I have to say that you certainly know how to make an entrance..  I hope that you are good at juggling hot potatoes.  :)

I would like to say that there are way more good-uns here than bad-uns.

There is a much better sense of community and most people are proud too belong to it.  It's a much friendlier place than other parts of the country.

Also generally speaking, that providing you do no damage, fenced land is meant to keep animals in, not to keep you out.

I have been here before, but it was a long time ago with an email address that was killed off when the business that provided it stopped doing such things, so there's no way to reset my long-forgotten password without hassling admin.

I like to think there are more good-uns than bad-uns everywhere, I'm not sure that makes us different.

The community thing is interesting. I think that view might depend on where you came from - would it be different for someone from an inner city than it would be from a small Highland village? I'm guessing so. But then as more people tend to live in cities then that might be the prevailing opinion.

And I wonder if that sense of community have it's drawbacks too, for someone that's not used to it?

I think the main thing that makes Shetland(ers) distinct is rooted in the geography - we're far enough away from other land masses to feel like there's a definitive border, and we generally can't get in or out under our own steam (we need Northlink or Loganair to give us a hand).

This results in many subtle and not-so-subtle feelings of 'like it or not, we're all in this together'!

A big thing fur me and da family is da feeling o safety. I'm lived in twaree idder places and dir wis always da worry aboot being burgled, mugged, scammed or whitiver else. I hadna realised how much o a tax da takes until I moved back and felt da relief o no hivin tae lock da car or hoose door, or worry aboot a crack ower da back o da head at da bank machine.