Royal Family

Is it joost me dat is seek o hearin aboot Prince Harry and his wife or girlfriend or whitivver? Is he even a Prince noo?

its hard tae hae ony sympathy we folk dat claim da media is ill wee dem and at da same time try tae get dir overprivileged faces aa ower da media. Surely if you want tae be left alone den goin on TV tae say you want tae be left alone is coonterproductive. If dey really wanted dir privacy dey’d move tae Skerries ;-) 

And does anybody hereaboots tink dat da Royal Family is an anachronism dat’s long ago hed its day?

This amused me https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/monarchy-in-crisis-because-there-is-no-fking-point-to-it-whatsoever-20210309206008

"Basically the monarchy is in perpetual crisis whenever anything goes wrong because the country notices it, realises what a complete waste of money and time it is and wonders how hard it would be to get rid of."

Has anybody got any figures for what it costs us to have a Royal family and how much do they bring into the country due to tourism etc. Would each of us be better off if we had a president or would it make no difference to us. The president would of course scam the system and would likely do jail time 

4 hours ago, tarsus said:

Has anybody got any figures for what it costs us to have a Royal family and how much do they bring into the country due to tourism etc.

It's not a simple calculation, and much of the costs relate to the maintenance and renovation of properties which would likely be funded by the government anyway. But here's a nice graph from https://www.statista.com/chart/18569/total-cost-of-the-uks-royal-family-by-year/spacer.png

Thank you for your input but that does not really tell me what it costs per individual, How many pounds a week would I be better off if they were not there / I do not know but I expect it is much less than a lot of people would think. Somebody out there must have worked it out.

I fear you're looking for a simple answer to a complex question - it depends on what is included in the calculations, and who you ask. Royalists will make the case that they're net contributors to the economy, anti-royalists generally consider them to be a net draw on taxpayers.

Each 'royal' has multiple incomes - almost like a mini economy of their own. Higher ranking royals are supported through a 'Sovereign Grant' (essentially tax payers money), most royals inherit extensive estates and earn taxes and rentals from their land, they have business interests that benefit from royal association, interest earned on their inherited wealth, incomes from the Crown Estate, multiple tax exemptions, loopholes, you name it.... the list is long, historical, and pretty much impossible to unpick in terms of how much it contributes to, or draws from, the economy. To remove the royal family from the picture is essentially a series of 'what if?' scenarios.

The money they bring in through tourism, which is often used by royalists as a justification for taxpayers to subsidise their existence, it nigh on impossible to estimate. As the Independent recently reported:

"we should treat even estimates of economic activity linked to the royals with a large dash of scepticism. The only way to reach these numbers is to estimate the counterfactual – what would have happened to UK tourism or trade if the Royal Family didn’t exist? Or if the official Royal Family was significantly smaller and less expensive to run?.... In the end, the question of whether the Royal Family is worth it, or not, is probably less a financial question than a political, moral and aesthetic one."

Whether the Royal Family cost me £1, £10, £100 or £1000 a year.... I morally object to taxpayers money being used to support the lavish lifestyle of an already unfathomably wealthy family.

Edited by Davie P

9 hours ago, Davie P said:

Whether the Royal Family cost me £1, £10, £100 or £1000 a year.... I morally object to taxpayers money being used to support the lavish lifestyle of an already unfathomably wealthy family.

Very much agreed. Why pay them one single penny for no justifiable reason at all?

Unless there are figures to prove whether they cost us money or not it is impossible to say if they should stay or go. It is easy to point the finger and criticize but you do need facts. I do think that they do not cost us as much as some of the schemes that our leaders have come up with over the years and that the money for these schemes have just been written off. It has been said this morning that the Test and Trace is not fit for purpose and that has cost billions. And the Royals may not cost us anything.

47 minutes ago, tarsus said:

Unless there are figures to prove whether they cost us money or not it is impossible to say if they should stay or go. It is easy to point the finger and criticize but you do need facts....  And the Royals may not cost us anything.

They do cost us money. That's a fact. They get grants and expenses every year. Whether or not there's a quantifiable net benefit to the economy that may trickle down and/or offset some of the taxpayers investment, and whether the unquantifiable benefits such as feelings of national unity, international diplomacy etc, is worth the taxpayers' money is what is open for debate. 

54 minutes ago, tarsus said:

I do think that they do not cost us as much as some of the schemes that our leaders have come up with over the years and that the money for these schemes have just been written off. It has been said this morning that the Test and Trace is not fit for purpose and that has cost billions.

Fair enough, but that's whataboutery. Just because some schemes have been poorly managed doesn't justify taxpayers money going to the Royal Family.