Electric Vehicles

Colin

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/03/10/introducing-fees-for-electric-vehicle-charging-would-send-out-wrong-message/

The link says it all really but, should owners of electric vehicles be allowed to 'charge up' for free ?  

Every other bit of electricity we use costs us all dearly, so why should EV (?) owners get a free ride ?

Why not free petrol/diesel for other vehicles ?

Wonder if all the new houses that are to be built on the Staney Hill , will each have there individual parking and charging points!

Will the pavements throughout the country be full of "trippy lines" soon as folk try to get power to there cars for charging them.

Some property's it is a problem to get a parking space so how's one going to get power to the vehicle to charge it . 

Will not be free for long IMHO, money to be made and I would think the entrepreneurs are getting ready to pounce.

The really daft thing about it is the SIC are already spending our (?) money on the electricity anyway. 

Seems like the kind of thing you could expect from an organisation that will spend a pound to save a penny.

Funny thing is that the charging points, that I am aware of, are very close to SIC offices. 

Bet that lawyers are also aware of accident claims that will be brought about by people falling over charging cables..  Just WHO will be liable I wonder?

2 hours ago, Colin said:

The really daft thing about it is the SIC are already spending our (?) money on the electricity anyway. 

Seems like the kind of thing you could expect from an organisation that will spend a pound to save a penny.

Funny thing is that the charging points, that I am aware of, are very close to SIC offices. 

Bet that lawyers are also aware of accident claims that will be brought about by people falling over charging cables..  Just WHO will be liable I wonder?

Remember this being discussed when the wheelie bins were introduced, everyone was going to be "miracled" bins were going to blow all over the place, folk would have to walk on the roads to avoid them and get run over, it never happened so possible the same thing regarding cables .Ducts in the pavements?  

At the end of the day the government will need to replace tax revenue lost on Petrol and Diesel, so after the "honeymoon" period expect charges or a new road tax. (by the way, I have a large communal wheelie bin at the end of my drive and, and I often have to move off the road so I can get to work, as it has blown on its side)

Edited by Rasmie

10 hours ago, Colin said:

Don't forget that vehicles powered by internal combustion engines require the transport and storage of large quantities of highly-flammable liquid. Oil tankers run aground, petrol lorries crash, and filling stations catch fire, but the lawyers haven't closed down the oil companies.

1 hour ago, Evil Inky said:

Don't forget that vehicles powered by internal combustion engines require the transport and storage of large quantities of highly-flammable liquid. Oil tankers run aground, petrol lorries crash, and filling stations catch fire, but the lawyers haven't closed down the oil companies.

Using your logic, the power generating industry should be safe...  However, I was referring to the 'trip hazard'  of power cables being draped over public access routes...   Not aware of anyone who has ever tripped over an oil/gas well..  :shock:

Which burns most diesel per mile travelled, Gremista creating the electric that runs the electric car, or the car that runs on diesel itself.

Electric cars are all very fine, I suppose, until there's a power cut. Something toonies don't get affected by much, but a regular and often lengthy event for the rest of us.

8 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

Which burns most diesel per mile travelled, Gremista creating the electric that runs the electric car, or the car that runs on diesel itself.

Electric cars are all very fine, I suppose, until there's a power cut. Something toonies don't get affected by much, but a regular and often lengthy event for the rest of us.

Get a car that runs on peats...  :)

12 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

I'm guessing the fuel → electricity efficiency of Gremista is better than moving small quantities of fuel around all over the place and burning it in poorly maintained engines.

Perhaps small-scale, local power production and storage is an interesting solution to powercuts. Rather than a huge, centralised system, a more distributed approach might work. It's not without its pitfalls of course, but I think there's potential (ba dum) in this. Even if it's solar panels just for charging your car at home. I don't know.

On a related but different note, I thought this was an interesting alternative to batteries: https://www.wired.com/2016/05/forget-elons-batteries-fix-grid-rock-filled-train-hill/

It's pretty much what we do with hydro, but might be suitable for areas where huge reservoirs are not practical.

I may be wrong, but understood that the power station produces more than what is used, and as we can’t store it , is simply wasted. Therefore if you charge your car, especially at night it “generates” money for the power company without actually burning more diesel. Win win. Also understood that big users, say SIC can negotiate a total rate, so that switching off a couple of streetlights makes no difference to the bill. I may be off here so please knowledgeable  ones enlighten me.

The output from a diesel generating station can be regulated to a certain extent to cope with demand. They can boost output immediately when demand surges. The classic example I saw was when tv soaps finish at 8 pm every evening the demand for power surges as people switch on the kettle to make a cup of tea for 8 o'clocks.

By contrast wind generator output fluctuates wildly. I read a while ago that car charging systems are regulated by software that responds to those fluctuations and smooths the output for the other electricity users.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone was telling me they only pay 5p a unit for electricity to charge their car at night.

So..

If electricity companies aren't going to give us 24/7 5p unit electricity, then just fill up our car at night, and plumb it into the house during the day and use all that cheap night time electricity. :-)

Could be a good use for all those old retired electric cars, park a few in your garden, and use them to store all that cheap 5p electricity. :-)

Could even mount them on their ends to save space..

Related link:

Full Throttle on global vehicle to grid trials

spacer.png

Edited by Nigel Bridgman-Elliot

^I understand that at present it costs about 30p per kWh so after a full charge it will cost £20 or £30 from totally empty to completly full, and understand that will probably take you fifty or sixty miles along the road. Is that good or bad coz I don't know?

How much does it cost to charge an electric car?

Edited by George.