Electric Vehicles

Colin

They have apparently found "globally significant quantities" of Lithium in Cornwall. That should certainly ease some of the concerns, as long as we don't exploit the Cornish!

However, I see that our governments seem to be anti-car, and perhaps there will in future, be less need for individuals cars in cities. (which would greatly reduce the need for charging points on streets.)  Going to vote Green?

I worry that people in retirement might not be able to financially afford to "step-up" to electric cars and thus have mobility decreased. In rural areas it will still be desirable to have your own  transportation.

Edited by Rasmie

6 hours ago, Rasmie said:

I worry that people in retirement might not be able to financially afford to "step-up" to electric cars and thus have mobility decreased. In rural areas it will still be desirable to have your own  transportation.

I don't think it will be long before there's a thriving second-hand market for electric cars.

And at some point, as a greater proportion of cars are electric, rather than ICE, it's going to be less convenient to drive an ICE car as filling stations close, and fuel prices rise as petrol and diesel become more of a niche product.

15 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

Private car ownership would be a far less bad thing for the environment if cars were made to last much longer. There's no practical reason why cars aren't built to last longer other than financial - makers don't want to lose the pay cheque of selling a complete new unit every time one of their previous ones racks up the theoretical 10 years/100,000k 'lifespan'.

The shell is the only thing that has the potential to end the life of a car, usually from corrosion, everything else it 'bolt on'. Make the shell from minimally corrosive metals and a car has the potential to last several human lifetimes only requiring parts that wear out are break replacing when necessary.

Totally agree, Even if you look at only brake pipes, why after over a 100 years of making cars are they still made of a material that can corrode

8 hours ago, Evil Inky said:

I don't think it will be long before there's a thriving second-hand market for electric cars.

I saw the first advert I had seen for an electric isles car a few weeks ago. £750 asking price.

I canna wait for the next generation of Isles fixes. Yet another use for the trusty ZX Spectrum perhaps? :)

3 hours ago, Spinner72 said:

I saw the first advert I had seen for an electric isles car a few weeks ago. £750 asking price.

I canna wait for the next generation of Isles fixes. Yet another use for the trusty ZX Spectrum perhaps? :)

Probably got 5 flats..  4 tyres and a battery...   :ponders:

4 hours ago, Spinner72 said:

I've never seen anybody drive a ZX Spectrum yet:mrgreen: