The normal cost is 14-15 p per kWH, but I see my supplier Scottish Power stating they have reduced prices for charging vehicles overnight at home. My current diesel car costs  about £5.85 for 55 miles. about 10.6 p per mile. So the price you are quoting,  George,  is bad.

Edited by Rasmie

Taking into consideration that the life span of batteries are approx 8yrs,and which are very expensive to replace I wonder if many will want to buy used vehicles that come anywhere near this age consequentially affecting the resale value.

Taking this into consideration I wonder if it really does work out cheaper to go electric, might be for those lucky enough to afford a brand new car.

I don't think there will be any choice. It will be drive electric, or get the (electric) bus. The price of diesel and petrol will be forced up so that people can't

afford them. Most people will probably end up leasing as the cars are so expensive, and like a mobile phone will just be a monthly bill.

15 hours ago, Rasmie said:

The normal cost is 14-15 p per kWH, but I see my supplier Scottish Power stating they have reduced prices for charging vehicles overnight at home. My current diesel car costs  about £5.85 for 55 miles. about 10.6 p per mile. So the price you are quoting,  George,  is bad.

I've just checked the prices stated by EDF on https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/costs where they charge 26p per kWh for, as stated, a Tesla vehicle. So why the difference?

^^the difference is between plugging in at home, and,  those prices are for superchargers or rapid chargers. If you have to charge up on the motorway it looks like you'll pay through the nose. Also the governments will have to claw back the tax they lose on Road tax and fuel tax so expect there to be some increased costs in future. 

> Pay just 4.5p per kWh during off-peak (12 am to 5 am GMT every day)

I notice on the EDF site prices are even lower now !

> the life span of batteries are approx 8yrs

I wonder if these will last longer ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8EBI-N0KTk
> New Battery technology that lasts decades,
> Lithium Titanate Oxid - LTO

-------
A battery with a lifespan of a human being? Yes, with up to 30 000 cycles, it may serve you 82 years (one cycle per day).
-------

I want to use these in my next EV, since they can be charged @ -30c, so no worries when its cold outside. :-)

In the next decade the evolusion of batteries will be huge. 

Autonomus Smart transport is where it will eventually go, you will probably have a monthly contract and when you want to go some where you will select your journey on a device and a few minutes later your transport will arrive and take you where you want. 

Private car transport will decline.

Edited by XAM7102