Proposed Co-op Stores in Scalloway & Sandwick ?

rum_beast

Do you support the CO-OP stores planned in Scalloway & Sandwick  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the CO-OP stores planned in Scalloway & Sandwick

• YES - I support both
    • I support the Scalloway Co-op, but not Sandwick
    • I support the Sandwick Co-op, but not Scalloway
    • NO - I support neither

Mr Carmichael where do you shop ?

Do you like the majority of us try to save a bob or two and do most of it at the supermarkets.

To late for government intervention now this should have been addressed many ,many years ago. when the country areas had loads of shops up an down the whole UK.

Only if the manufactures sell goods to everyone at the same or similar price will the small country shops be able to compete, and I do not see that happening anytime soon. 

Guess we all want a bargain.

I am for both developements for me Supermarket shopping is essential for low income families in communities, I believe the doomsday scenario is being over played especially by the number of Tesco van's you see delivering shopping, If anything i reckon it would hit Tesco more than the local shops as most weekly shops are done there. 

I would like to see a set of traffic lights on the east voe road and an pavement put on the sea side of the road plus a reduced speed limit from the view point above the Scord to 30mph. 

7 hours ago, XAM7102 said:

.......Supermarket shopping is essential for low income families....

I presume 'Supermarket' in this quote = 'low cost'?

If so, low cost tends to equate to lower quality, just look at the ingredients list and nutritional info on your average tin/packet/whatever of a brand name product and its Supermarket own label cheapest equivalent.

Padding out products with cheaper and frequently nutritionally inferior alternatives to achieve the reduced retail unit cost only creates an illusion of being 'cheaper', as invariably your average Joe needs to eat more/more frequently of the 'cheap' product to attain the same sustenance as from the more expensive regular product.

You get what you pay for, and I tend to think VFM is more important that tag price. Supermarkets were built on the 'pile em high and sell em cheap' principle, and still milk 'cheap' for all its worth, and in their book 'cheap' always equates the tag price.

I'm considerably less than sure that anything or anyone that relentlessly pushes those of low means towards lowest price tag lower quality items is good for anyone unless the vendor selling the stuff.

Low income households are far more likely to rely on public transport. In the case of Sandwick and Scalloway are the current bus timetables compatible with folk from say Nesting or Girlsta, or Whitness or Weisdale, or Dunrossness or Cunningsburgh being able to realistically use the store, or are the Coop relying on the rest of us, the nation's taxpayers digging deeper in our pockets to allow ZetTrans to provide additional different routes to make their ventures available to those on lower incomes in their catchment area.

59 minutes ago, Ghostrider said:

I presume 'Supermarket' in this quote = 'low cost'?

If so, low cost tends to equate to lower quality, just look at the ingredients list and nutritional info on your average tin/packet/whatever of a brand name product and its Supermarket own label cheapest equivalent.

Some things may be lower quality but the likes of pasta, cereals, rice, etc there aint much difference. 

I am pretty sure the BBC TV show "Eat Well For Less" highlights the difference in products with many brand names being unhealthier as they are packed with more flavourings and sugar compared to the supermarket own brand. 

Edited by XAM7102

1 hour ago, Ghostrider said:

You get what you pay for, and I tend to think VFM is more important that tag price.

This brings back memories of the old Chris Hodge debate years ago.

Yes, if you can afford it, value for money is where it's at, but sadly more and more people and households are in the position, as I have been and have no shame in admitting it, where they know the brand name tin of beans would be better in every way, but it just isn't an option.

32 minutes ago, Spinner72 said:

This brings back memories of the old Chris Hodge debate years ago.

Yes, if you can afford it, value for money is where it's at, but sadly more and more people and households are in the position, as I have been and have no shame in admitting it, where they know the brand name tin of beans would be better in every way, but it just isn't an option.

Why would the brand name tin be better in every way ?

Edited by XAM7102

Ok it wasn't supposed to be a detailed analysis, and I don't have a selection of tinned beans to work from even if I wanted to!

The point is that most people don't buy cheaper products because they think they are better value for money, they buy them because they simply can't afford to buy a "better" option.

30 minutes ago, Spinner72 said:

Ok it wasn't supposed to be a detailed analysis, and I don't have a selection of tinned beans to work from even if I wanted to!

The point is that most people don't buy cheaper products because they think they are better value for money, they buy them because they simply can't afford to buy a "better" option.

I do, that's the main reason i buy them, saving on better value things allows more money to spend in other area's and to save a bit for the future. 

Edited by XAM7102

1 hour ago, XAM7102 said:

Why would the brand name tin be better in every way ?

I'm not going to try and justify that they're 'better in every way', even thiugh they very probably are.

What I will point out though, is if you check out cheapest (by price tag) products which contain 'tomato sauce' of some sort, you'll find many of them 'bulk out' the tomato puree with fructose syrup.

I'm not claiming to have any nutritionalist knowledge but if someone offers me a choice between liquidised tomatoes or concentrated fruit sugar, I'm not thnking I'll be picking the latter as being likely to feed me best.

Price is definately a guide point when buying your dinner but, perversely, I find some of the cheaper tins of beans (from Tesco) taste better (to me) than the big brand names..  One man's meat.., I guess..

As XAM7102 pointed out, there is not much quality difference to choose with staples like pasta's/potatoes/etc.  and Tesco often sells them for pennies.

As for the Co-op; I don't find them much cheaper, if at all, than some country shops.  They are just a big country shop in the middle of town.. 

9 hours ago, Colin said:

As for the Co-op; I don't find them much cheaper, if at all, than some country shops.  They are just a big country shop in the middle of town.. 

Depends what your buying, many CO-OP own brand products are cheaper though some country shops also carry CO-OP brand stuff but i am not sure if its at the same price point, with the CO-OP you only get clubcard money back with thier own brand stuff where with Tesco its done on the total spend. 

^Very true, price is the great big guide point. Heinz baked beans, about a quid a tin, maybe a few pennies less. Into Tesco and they sell the same sized tins, different brands, for ---------- 22p a go. You won't get that from the Co-op.

A Co-op in Sandwick and Scalloway? Nah, go for somewhere that sells at a better price, and delivers so you don't need to get the bus when you need to then run half the way home coz you don't want the frozen food to melt before you get to within a hundred yards of the freezer.

Edited by George.

3 hours ago, George. said:

^Very true, price is the great big guide point. Heinz baked beans, about a quid a tin, maybe a few pennies less. Into Tesco and they sell the same sized tins, different brands, for ---------- 22p a go. You won't get that from the Co-op.

Co-op Own brand beans 0.32p

Co-op honest value beans 0.25p, not 0.22p but not far off it.