Proposed Co-op Stores in Scalloway & Sandwick ?

rum_beast

Do you support the CO-OP stores planned in Scalloway & Sandwick  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the CO-OP stores planned in Scalloway & Sandwick

• YES - I support both
    • I support the Scalloway Co-op, but not Sandwick
    • I support the Sandwick Co-op, but not Scalloway
    • NO - I support neither

5 hours ago, XAM7102 said:

Depends what your buying, many CO-OP own brand products are cheaper though some country shops also carry CO-OP brand stuff but i am not sure if its at the same price point, with the CO-OP you only get clubcard money back with thier own brand stuff where with Tesco its done on the total spend. 

I would prefer it if both the Co-op & Tesco took the loyalty(?) money off the headline price.

18 hours ago, XAM7102 said:

Co-op Own brand beans 0.32p

Co-op honest value beans 0.25p, not 0.22p but not far off it. 

No, it's not far off it but I'm not a multimillionare so I'll buy it at the best price that I can - after Tesco have delivered it to me. Great, especially when the last bus comes in to me at 18.20, six days a week coz there's none on a Sunday.

But not far off it, or so I've been old:mrgreen:

Edited by George.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/08/09/new-supermarkets-would-have-no-impact-on-smaller-shops-developer-insists/

I'm not for or against either development but, I think that the first paragraph of this article is so plainly 'wrong' and misleading that it beggars belief.

How can the opening of a new store have no 'detriment' towards existing establishments?  Are they trying to convince us that there is a pool of potential customers with unspent money just lying around for them to hoover up?  etc. etc. etc.

It is plainly obvious (to me anyway) that any customer who switches allegiance from one store to another will have an impact on the 'loser'.

Maybe they are just going to magic up some new customers for these stores...  Problem solved...

Good luck to the SIC on making the ‘right’ decision on this. I can see it now - refuse them and folk will complain that they’re backward, restricting choice, forcing folk to have to travel to Lerwick to do a big shop etc, approve them and you’ll have just as many complaining they don’t care about existing businesses, local jobs, local food producers etc. 

Here's the full Retail Impact Assessment - good luck at making sense of it! https://pa.shetland.gov.uk/online-applications/files/953C3248ADDB20F61F783AA1F872D6A7/pdf/2021_106_PPF-RETAIL_IMPACT_ASSESSMENT_AND_ECONOMIC_STATEMENT-387700.pdf

After a quick read, it seems that there's a subtle but very important differentiation between having no impact and having no impact on viability - the latter essentially means that the Retail Impact Assessment tries to make the case that whilst there will be an impact, the shops can still survive and remain viable.

There's also some interesting statistics in there that makes a case that Shetland shops trade at higher than UK average profit (they use much more complex language, but that's the thrust), so it'll just be the local shops' profit margins that'll be impacted.

Obviously, the Retail Impact Assessment has been written from a specific perspective with one aim in mind, so make of it what you will!

8 hours ago, Colin said:

https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2021/08/09/new-supermarkets-would-have-no-impact-on-smaller-shops-developer-insists/

I'm not for or against either development but, I think that the first paragraph of this article is so plainly 'wrong' and misleading that it beggars belief.

I think that's down to the reporting of the report, rather than the content of the report :-)

Edited by Davie P

8 hours ago, George. said:

If there is more than one shop, there's competition. That is surely beneficial for the customers.

Only if the competition doesn’t destroy the peerie guy who was there first - which more often than not happens when big retailers that can offer more choice and lower prices move in.

From memory the Co-Op in Lerwick moved to where it is now around 1990ish, Tesco - or Presto as it was first - maybe 5 or 6 years later? Since then, my guess would be that around half of the independent grocers in rural areas as well as most of the grocers/bakers/butchers/fishmongers that existed in Lerwick have gone. Most bigger rural villages had 2 or 3 shops each in my early memory, most now just have one. 

Whether anybody’s view is that having big retailers is good or bad, I don’t think there’s any getting away from the fact that they make it very difficult for smaller, independent shops to survive. 

Edited by shetlander

Fair comment but, often, the so called 'little guys' don't help themselves.

Scalloway already has two fairly decent shops.  Both are pretty well stocked/run and the staff are always friendly and helpfull.  However, pricing seems to be an issue, and most customers are looking for value for their spend. 

eg;  Cigarette filter tips.  OK, it's maybe not the best example but, it is one that irritates me personally.

Co-op in Lerwick charges £1 per packet.  Shop 1 in Scalloway charges £1 per packet.   Shop 2 in Scalloway charges £1.50.  Why the 50% extra markup in Shop 2?   (They also charge a bit extra for ciggies etc. )  Are they trying to drive smokers out?

If this was the only incident, it could be accepted, but it isn't, and it's not to defficult to see which one would be most hurt by the addition of an extra store.

Shop 2 is already being 'hurt' as it is very rare for me to by just tobacco stuff on it's own as I nearly always buy something else as well, and that happens in Shop 1.

Personally, I have no intention of traipsing down to the East Voe for anything at all unless I have no other option, but will continue to buy my filter tips at Shop 1.

A new store would be goods news for folk living around the East Voe and would also help those living on Trondra/Burra.  How much, I don't know but you can bet that somebody has tried to work it out.

Everybody is talking about the effects of an extra shop, but nobody is really considering the customer here.  It's up to the smaller guys to compete for their footfall.

Only time will tell if a new store would be a success.

On 10/08/2021 at 15:58, George. said:

If there is more than one shop, there's competition. That is surely beneficial for the customers.

I tink da problem is dat dir will be less shops. Or mair accurately, a bigger shop we lots o peerie branches.

Fae my point o view, da most worrying thing wid be da demise o da local shop's 'fancy goods' departments. Dey're cultural institutions!