Knockin doon houses in Yell

marlin13

Some very clever chap at planning or Roads or what ever is decided they need to knock doon a house in Yell to make the road wider.

Whats really galling fur the fellow it owns the house is that hes just finished doing it up to a very high standard and had it on the market with interest from young local couples when the council wallah's decided on this "brilliant" course of action.

I'm not at all certain about the need for this......??? Perhaps it has somethig to do with the fact that if they widened he road on the other side they are thinking of the cheap and enviornmentaly friendly idea of shipping in stone etc from the scord as there is, it would seem, no stone t be had in Yell(allegedly) funny I seem to have seen the odd quarry about?????????

Anyway it seems about the same width as much of the other double track road in Yell to me, and I drive over this particular bit most days. As the area is on a corner and has several entrances to houses as well as a difficult to see junction. What would be much simpler would be to erect two signs one at each end which indicate a thirty(or less)mph speed restriction, it would only be over a short distance and should not slow anyones progress by much anyway as any prudent driver would be slowing down here anyway.

I am well aware that this does require a little paperwork as well but as there are obviously quite a lot of wallah's with sausage all to do , if they have time to dream this sort of nonsense up , it should be no problem to sort.

At the same time the road between Gutcher and Cullivoe is a disgrace, the Community and the Community Council has been calling for many years for the road to be widened but this just falls on deaf ears in Wallah land.

Cullivoe is home to a thriving haulage business as well as the Islands largest bus operator who both have to traverse this very narrow road many times each day with clearances on each side measured in only low single figures of inches. thankfully there have been remarkably few accidents but ones do happen.

Maybe the council has to wait for someone to be killed before they get the finger out.

We all know that budgets are supposed to be tight in the council, well if that is the case then prioritisation HAS to be the order of the day and knocking down houses to widen already adequate two lane roads is NOT acceptable in any shape or form when much more urgent roadwork needs to be undertaken. Burra feals aren't really acceptable as a replacement for even a decent hard shoulder when driving an artic or a 50 seater bus !

You Yell folk seem to bear the brunt of the very worst of council road officials more than most, I still clearly recall the ".... just WTF is this..." moment the first time I clapped eyes on the boanie twa lane flat straight rod somewhere in the hill with the one lane cattle grid and gate on the southbound lane suddenly spouting out of it. That sight surely was the ultimate illustration of all that ails the council, and it seems they've not exactly learned much in the ensuing 20 years either.

I agree lets knock all the hooses in yell down. There is only one thing Yell is good for and that is getting to Unst.

Can we no tow yell oot to see and sink it somewhere. Then we could pull

Unst a bit closer.

....but why would you want to get to Unst?

Okay, there's a brewery, but Yell had better pubs last I was there.....

• 2 weeks later...
What would be much simpler would be to erect two signs one at each end which indicate a thirty(or less)mph speed restriction, it would only be over a short distance and should not slow anyones progress by much anyway as any prudent driver would be slowing doon here anyway.

This would clearly be a much more sensible approach, not to mention substantially cheaper. (Maybe even a few speed bumps as well, although these are probably illegal on main roads ?). Why can't some people just accept that they need to slow down on certain parts of the roads? Can anyone tell me, is this need to widen the road just the council being illogical (and wasting a lot of money in the process), or is it a legal requirement to comply with some legislation?

The property in question is a lovely peerie hoose which the owners put a huge amount of time and effort into renovating: they stripped it back to its bare bones and transformed it into something which is modern, bright and cosy, and is perfect for a couple or a young family. I feel really sad for them about this, they are by no means 'happy' to 'sell' the house to the council (can a compulsory purchase order really be considered as 'selling'?). It will be fairly soul destroying and heartbreaking for them to have to strip out all the fixtures and fittings, and then see it bulldozed. I appreciate that there is a road safety issue here, but to me the idea of getting rid of the house as part of the equation is ludicrous, and even more so in a time of such a shortage o hooses in Shetland.