Missing Unst Man

northislesnative

Hi, I'm a friend of Sandy's -just heard about him in the last few days and I am deeply shocked. I met him at the beginning of this year, so I can't say I'm a close friend, but he is one of a kind - I highly respect him for his desire to help those in need and to make the world a better place, as well as his desire to help the local community. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

I have read anything and everything I can find on-line, and I will not add to all the theories and conspiracies out there about his whereabouts. I'm just curious about a few things. Can anyone shed light on the following:

a) has there been any transactions from his bank account since his disapprearance?

B) his phone and his keys were on the desk, but what about his wallet? if that was left behind as well, did it have everything in it?

c) his car was being serviced in Lerwick - was it collected? if so, by whom? Did Sandy leave anything in the car?

I'm sure all these questions have been answered already, I would appreciate it if someone could let me know.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nakamura,

maybe all the conspiracists are finally getiing to me but if you are a friend as you alledge, why do you need to know these things. Sorry byt your questions smell of press being sneaky to me, looking fir genuine friends and folk in the community to make youtr story for you. Apollogies if i'm wrong, but i have my suspicions about you.. and some of the questions Jeff has asked are as dodgey. Let the police look into that, unless you are one in which case ask the family and his workmates. Seems to me a forum like this is not theplkace for folk to be sharing details like that about a serious case like this.

8O :!:

I'm not from the press. I don't like newspapers and never buy them.

Let me tell you something about myself. My mother died when I was seventeen. She had cancer and it took several months for her to die. You could actually see her bones through her skin towards the end. She went into hospital and one morning I was woken by my dad to say that she had died. Every morning after that I would wake up and for an instant feel like it was a normal day. Then immediately the truth of what has happened comes immediately back to mind and you feel it all again. It is a horrible feeling.

That is when you know someone has died. In a case like this you get no resolution, and people continually saying sorry doesn't help. The family want answers. Every day the various scenarious will be playing over in their heads. They will probably imagine much worse than is being discussed here. What they need is support above all but also answers. You cannot grieve when you have no resolution and pussy footing around is the last thing they need.

There are two important issues here. Firstly that they get their answers and secondly that the work that Sandy did continues. Not only for the sake of Unst, but also so that we can prevent ecological disaster. From all that I have heard about Sandy he was a good man with good intentions. It wont be some paranoid conspiracy theory that will be the answer but something rather more mundane.

Jeff

Also a newcomer to this board (and also stumbled on it through trying to get more news of Sandy). However, I know him and family, and lived on Unst for a long while.

To the other questioners - the Police do this kind of thing a lot. Believe me, they have asked all the right questions, and more. I think we can only hope and pray for a conclusion of some kind, to put the family and community out of its misery. Endless speculation is a very human response to a mystery, and a kind of displacement activity for grief, but it's not helpful.

The Man,

I appreciate your suspicion, but as Jeff points out, you cannot grieve when you don't know what happened, and in fact, I don't wish to grieve - i'm hopeful that he'll come bouncing back. While curiousity kills the cat, I'm sure the family and friends have already been bombarded with these questions so I'd rather leave them in peace. Everybody on this forum is eagar to know what happened, so that's why I raised my questions here. However, this was careless and inappropriate of me, as yonwifie points out, the police are doing this and it's not helpful to raise them here.

Let's hope and pray that we get some positive news from a suitable source in the near future.

PS.. just for clarification, I'm not from the press. I'm a friend who highly respects sandy.

Ok folks, I'm sure you're all aware that this is a very sensitive issue.

So, in the absence of any hard facts, and to avoid causing unnecessary upset, I think we should avoid conjecture.

I'm sure none of us want Shetlink to be the source of wild rumours.

I second this. This is a very emotive subject and one that is not for a public Internet forum! If anyone has serious need for information there is a perfectly good Government funded outfit to provide it. They're known as the police!

I am locking this thread.

Since locking this thread we have had several enquiries as to why.

As so many people were following it a bit more explanation as to our reason should be given.

Quite frankly the thread is never going to go anywhere apart from more subjective talk etc. No good can come out of it!! Shetlink must have some sort of stop gap where things are sacred.

If people know anything they are / you should be going to go to the police!

Perhaps if there is a twist in the story opening up a new angle then it could be unlocked.... but our "piece" at the moment is that it should stay locked for some dignity and self respect! For the guy .. and for ourselves!