HEROIN/DRUGS.

I note that a large amount of heroin has been intercepted and that is good but if you look at the worldwide figures for deaths from heroin against worldwide figures for deaths from smoking drinking why are these substance users not being targeted.

It's not just VAT, there is also 'Duty' on tobacco and alcohol that further pushes the price up.

If they made them both 'illegal', then a good portion of the governments income would disappear.

Looks like we're stuck the 'societies drugs of choice'...

4 hours ago, cicero said:

I note that a large amount of heroin has been intercepted and that is good but if you look at the worldwide figures for deaths from heroin against worldwide figures for deaths from smoking drinking why are these substance users not being targeted.

Because those substances are legal and users are meant to use them in moderation. 

The campaign on drugs in Scotland has failed miserably, time for a rethink and a new strategy , first step is to legalise some types of cannabis without the physcoactive THC in them.

Edited by XAM7102

2 hours ago, George. said:

^Regarding the U.K, you pay V.A.T. on tobacco and alcohol. Perhaps the deaths caused by the two of them don't matter as much, after all you've paid the tax so Westminster is happy for you to pay the price.

A bit of a lazy attempt at Westminster bashing there, when actually...

With VAT assignment a further 15% of Scotland's budget will be based on VAT revenues raised in Scotland – although the power to set VAT rates will remain reserved to the UK Government.

The Scotland Act 2016 legislated to assign half of the VAT receipts raised in Scotland (the first 10p of the standard rate and the first 2.5p of the reduced rate) to the Scottish Government's budget.

https://www.gov.scot/policies/taxes/vat/

^I'm quite sure that you're correct.

But Westminster collects all alcohol excise duty on the British Isles and, as I understand, that's a wee bit more than the relevant V.A.T, but I may be wrong.

And of course, I wouldn't like anybody to think that I was having a go at Westminster. After all, it's not my style:thmbsup

Edited by George.

1 hour ago, XAM7102 said:

The campaign on drugs in Scotland has failed miserably, time for a rethink and a new strategy , first step is to legalise some types of cannabis without the physcoactive THC in them.

You can buy CBD flowers (and tinctures, vape carts, edibles, etc) online so long as the THC content is below... I can't remember 0.1% or something.

17 hours ago, cicero said:

O dear, Am I right in thinking that our leaders are not really concerned or interested in our welfare and are only interested in the money they can get even if the product kills us.

I wouldn't have quite put it that way but, if the cap fits, wear it.

It might also be worth noting that just outside of living memory, the British Government fought a war with China in order to gain a market for Opium.  Ho hum...  Pick your poison..

FWIW; 

it is obvious (to me anyway) that the so called 'War on Drugs' has failed.

I have thought for years that the best way to deal with addictions is to put the same substances (clean) in the hands of the NHS.  That way, registered addicts are taken out of the hands of the drug 'overlords' and into the community where they can be supervised and maybe weaned off the stuff.  This approach should(?) cause the dealers to be faced with a shrinking market for their poisons and, if there is no money in it, they will move on.

If that fails, just build a bunch of padded cells and chuck the addicts inside them.  :thmbsup

^My apps, Colin. Perhaps I should have put it out differently.

On 26/05/2021 at 12:35, Colin said:

It might also be worth noting that just outside of living memory, the British Government fought a war with China in order to gain a market for Opium.  Ho hum...  Pick your poison..

And, of course,

On 26/05/2021 at 12:35, Colin said:

I have thought for years that the best way to deal with addictions is to put the same substances (clean) in the hands of the NHS.  That way, registered addicts are taken out of the hands of the drug 'overlords' and into the community where they can be supervised and maybe weaned off the stuff.    

Michael took the drugs, but what do him and his workmates do for us lot?