The Banking Industry - Charging Malpractice

Ally

(** MOD EDIT ** - Title has been altered to reflect the nature of the thread from Royal Bank, lerwick branch...)

Oh well, it's happened again.

I checked my account last night and had enough cash to last me a wee while and then BAM! - a bunch of direct debits that I expected to come out at the very start of the month hit me.

My fault i know, but I think we can all agree that banks are total boobalubes when it comes to charging. they must have made ££££s off me (and millions like me) over the years.

So, I check my account and I'm £52 over my overdraft. I immediately transfer £100 from my savings account and call the bank. I've done this a few times before and usually get a nice English chap that stops any reulting charges (provided I put the money in immediately) with a few clicks of his mouse.

Anyway, sometimes when I call I get a certain girl who talks to me like I'm a naughty schoolboy and usually won't refund my charges. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. So, I called today and she's away way to "see what she can do" and is going to call me back. I'm actually dreading her response- how weird is that?

I'll get back to y'all after she's called back.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the benefits of local people/....my faceless banker in manchester in some call centre had no such pity...."sorry, we cant do anything for you"

Quite simply solved. "I will be closing my accounts as soon as possible. PS I have just come into a lot of money".

For anybody that didn't see the link in the 'other' bank charges thread it is here -->

Reclaim unfair bank charges.

Apparently the bank charging you extortionate amounts is in fact illegal. Take a look at the link.

I have a genuine phobia of banks, which probably has it's roots in being perma-skint during 4 years at university. I go pale, I feel dizzy and my hands go clammy the minute I go in the door. God forbid I ever have to go for a meeting about a mortgage or something, I'll be hospitalised.

Did none of you guys realise that if you go over your overdraft limit you have to pay for it ?

Of course, but that's missing the point, Frankie. In many cases the charges levied are disproportionate and unfair. You could argue that they are punative and designed to dissuade you from managing your finances badly but, in many cases, these charges can result in further charges.

Is it acceptable for a credit-card to charge £40 for a late payment and then, because this £40 pushes you over your credit-limit, to charge another fee for going over your credit limit?

Work for the banking industry much, Frankie? I figure you must since nobody else could have sympathy for this kind of behaviour.

Just because I manage to force you to sign an agreement saying that I can burn down your house if you forget my birthday, doesn't mean that my actions are moral or legal!