The Banking Industry - Charging Malpractice

Ally

Just spoke to lloyds TSB, who had written to tell all there customers (how nice of them) that they will now "no longer be informing you of charges on your account, and you will now be charged £10 for every pence you are overdrawn"

Was'nt that sweet of them?

You now know the penalties for going overdrawn. No excuses any more :wink:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoke to lloyds TSB, who had written to tell all there customers (how nice of them) that they will now "no longer be informing you of charges on your account, and you will now be charged £10 for every pence you are overdrawn"

Was'nt that sweet of them?

Surely that is some mistake?!?!

£10 for every pence you are overdrawn?

In defense of the banks .. these archaic systems don't talk well with each other either and to talk between banks your transactions end up in "inter bank clearing" systems that again are working on ancient technology.

Wherever the money is at any one time, I'll bet that its earning the bank interest when it should be earning you interest.

And Evian2, £10 for every penny is criminal, close your account and let them know why.

Anyone ever use credit unions? I started looking into them a while ago because from what I can see they are the only alternative to banks.

Banks are utterly evil boobalubes plain and simple :evil:

I got shafted to the tune of £60 nearly twenty years ago. Never again I said, and never has it happened since because I got careful.

You are absolutely right though when you say they love the people with money in their accounts. Throughout my life I had been paid crap wages and never had much to talk about in my account.

One day a relative died and left me a lot of money. I used to walk into the bank dressed scruffily and draw £500 cash. The girl behind the counter used to give me a disdainful look, then look at the balance of my instant access account, then look again, then ask me if perhaps I would like to sit down and have a cup of coffee whilst she got the money ready. The plan was that some smooth talking salesman would come over and sell me insurance, pension, stocks and shares. I always smiled sweetly and said no.

A few weeks after that I helped the deputy manager of a high street bank prepare their CV. She told me that anyone with 50k or more in liquid assets is seen as a very important customer and a person to roll out the red carpet for (metaphorically).

Why are you still with the RBS Ally if your having that many problems?

I've got an overdraft that I would need to clear before I could leave, which i've so far been unable to do. Plus there's the aforementioned direct debits which are a pain to setup again, not to mention arranging for my wages to be put into a different account. Still, i will move in the near future. I've heard good things about the cooperative bank, so i may give them a go.

The bank of trout gives a very good interest rate of 0.001% on every £1000 credited. You get a free stapler and voucher for B&Q to the tune of £5.27p ... and you also get a friendly call centre somewhere in darkest Peru!

I'll send you an information pack if you want to PM me ... signing up is no bother ... just a little squiggle on the 986th page of the contract and your first born and basically your soul is mine :twisted:

Go on, you know its the right thing to do! Just look into the eyes of the hypnotoad ... and e v e r y t h i n g w i l l b e a l r i g h t ! ! ! !

hypnotoad.gif

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Plus there's the aforementioned direct debits which are a pain to setup again, not to mention arranging for my wages to be put into a different account.

I believe that this is now easier to do than it once was (although I haven't personally tried it). I have a funny feeling that the Banking Gods decided that banks had to make it easier to transfer direct debits and the like, automatically doing it for you. It might take two to four weeks though...

I'll send you an information pack if you want to PM me ... signing up is no bother ... just a little squiggle on the 986th page of the contract and your first born and basically your soul is mine :twisted:

Well, dammit, the very thing, if I'd no gone and sold my soul already! :(

....now, if I could only mind whether I sold him t' punk coming on for 30 years ago, or the other year on ebay, when things were kinda tight, I might even be able t' buy him back. :?

• 1 month later...

Having just been charged £150 by Smile for 'overdraft fees' because they terminated my overdraft a month early, I've started putting MoneySavingExpert's advice into action. Printed out the 'give my money back you boobalubes' letter and will be posting it today.

It's not the first time they've pulled stunts like this and, quite frankly, I've had enough. I'm requesting a refund of £500 for the assorted charges and interest they've charged me over the last 10 months or so.

This account has been a nightmare and I decided to close it last month. This latest batch of charges have were levied the moment I told them I was closing the account and have since been used to charge me even more.

sphincters.

You're assuming that the fault is mine there, Frankie. Actual fact is that every charge they've levied is because they have departed from what they said they were doing.

From the very first month I used this account I realised that it was going to be impossible to comply with their T&C. I tried to pay off the account, only to discover that their hidden charges only appeared on the statement literally seconds before the due date. You would have to know their charging system inside out to pay the correct amount, or pay well above what you owed.

This happened several times; no matter what I did, it was always wrong and always resulted in more charges. Basically, with each month that passed they found new ways to charge.

This final straw comes because they blatantly broke their agreement and, despite agreeing with them to pay every penny I owed, terminated my overdraft immediately and have been charging me, but not displaying this on their 'up to the minute' on-line statement.

It has nothign to do with how much I spend and everything to do with how they're deliberately obscuring their charges so that it's impossible to comply.

Never mind the fact that their web-site is always down, phones take 20 minutes to answer, direct electronic payments require 3-4 days, etc. The system is designed to trip people up.

You're assuming that the fault is mine there, Frankie. Actual fact is that every charge they've levied is because they have departed from what they said they were doing.

From the very first month I used this account I realised that it was going to be impossible to comply with their T&C. I tried to pay off the account, only to discover that their hidden charges only appeared on the statement literally seconds before the due date. You would have to know their charging system inside out to pay the correct amount, or pay well above what you owed.

This happened several times; no matter what I did, it was always wrong and always resulted in more charges. Basically, with each month that passed they found new ways to charge.

This final straw comes because they blatantly broke their agreement and, despite agreeing with them to pay every penny I owed, terminated my overdraft immediately and have been charging me, but not displaying this on their 'up to the minute' on-line statement.

It has nothign to do with how much I spend and everything to do with how they're deliberately obscuring their charges so that it's impossible to comply.

Never mind the fact that their web-site is always down, phones take 20 minutes to answer, direct electronic payments require 3-4 days, etc. The system is designed to trip people up.

Are you saying they charge you even if you've never ever been overdrawn ?