Scotland 1 - France 0

JAStewart

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A taste of reality again!!!!

I know the paranio will come out now but look at the facts. McFadden and Fletcher deserved their cards, in fact the boss should get into Fletcher for getting booked for mouthing off!

Big eeejit Pressley maybe was not the last man but deserved to get straight red for a blatant cynical "take-out", Neilson did pull the man's shirt in the box, maybe soft but are we not all calling for this to stopped anyway?

Scotland were beaten by a better side. Fact. And with the suspensions for the Georgia game we will now, as we expected, struggle badly to get out of this group.

Glorious failure again!

I know it sounds all very negative but we do tend to jump off the deep end when we acheive something. Face it, the French result was lucky, they could have won three or four nil easily, our previous run of wins included a home win against Faroe!

Wheesht, you're talking nonsense. McFadden deserved his card for petulantly leaving the leg in - Fletcher was not booked for mouthing off - he was booked for what must've been his second foul - a body check half way in their own half, so much so the ref let the game continue. It was a ridiculous decision.

Also, Pressley's challenge was not a red card - no way! It was in some ways a last ditch tackle but correct me if I'm wrong but a red card can only be issued if the challenge prevents a clear goalscoring opportunity (which it didn't) or if it is serious foul & dangerous play (which it wasn't either).

Also you fail to mention the Ukrainian subs blatant dive in the box which the referee acknowledged but didn't give a card. How does that work? Diving in the box is ALWAYS a straight yellow.

The penalty was a joke, Neilson barely had anything of Shevchenko and the ball arguably would've missed them both.

The fact is the referee has pandered to the big names in front of a home crowd here. Guaranteed if he had time to review the situations, he would've made a different decision. All he needed to do was take a couple moments of reflection. He was the sort of ref who has the card out of their pocket within a second of the foul - that's impulse refereeing.

Still, we deserved to lose, no question but the ref was shocking. The only suspension that I am worried about is Fletcher, without him, I think we lack alot. I don't think Ferguson gives us much and ideally would like to see Hartley and Quashie instead.

Wheesht you need to simmer down, only a few people expected something from last night but sorry, 3 wins outta 4 games is very very good. You can guarantee that Ukraine, France and Italy will take points off each other. If we manage to win our 'lesser' games in the group and pick up a few draws in the harder games, we're laughing. It's a big ask but somehow, had we lost to France and beat the Ukraine, I feel your opinion wouldn't be so negative. As it stands, in terms of Scotland, we may as well think like that. Correct me if I'm wrong but we are still top of the group and if you had said that at the start of qualifying, I would've thought you were insane.

I'm happy with 3/4, now we've got till March (I think) to regroup and hopefull take 3-4 points off Georgia & Italy. As long as we're in the hunt come the last couple games I'll be happy.

well said mario, wheesht was talking some pile of nonsense there.

shevchenko dived for penalty when he seen the ball soaring over his head, he also threw himself to ground when pressley slid in. Pressley wasnt even the last man cause caldwell was covering him.

most scotland fans would have been delighted with a draw before the game cause we all know that ukraine got to world cup quarter final and are a very good side.

So for scotland to be sitting top of a group with BOTH world cup finalists and a team that got to last 8, i would say is a brilliant achievement after 4 games!

Mario, I'll know the Ukranians all have long names :lol: but I do not think the ref was biased at all.

I stand corrected on the Fletcher booking, that was my fear creaping in that he would get his second there for mouthing in the 2nd half and also see red.

I disagree with you on the Pressley red. As I see it, if that was against my side I would demand a red for what was a synical tackle. The rule on last man tackle is just that but you have to remember that a player can be shown staright red anywhere on the park for various offences and big Elvis fell foul of that, not the last man red.

I did say the penalty was soft. But it is a footballs fans miscinception, muself included, that because a "soft" foul leads to a penalty it shouldn't be a awarded, false. A foul is a foul wherever it happens on the park.

We are all delighted with the start but don't lets get all "Argentina 78" and start believing a lot of what we read about being on course for qualification again. We won't get as lucky as we did last Saturday twice in one qualification tournament.

Take off the tartan specs and be realistic.

So for scotland to be sitting top of a group with BOTH world cup finalists and a team that got to last 8, i would say is a brilliant achievement after 4 games!

Now that is realism.

Sitting where we are now is a great achievement indeed but lets not get carried away that is my point here. We have won nothing nor have we even qualified for the finals of anything.

I was at Hampden last Saturday and the aftermath was akin to us having won the World Cup.

everyone is probably just enjoying it while it lasts, cause deep down we all know we wont be top for long!

If Scotland manage to somehow finish top or even second in this group of death then it would be one of the best achievements in world football ever.

good to see england doing so rubbish in a group of poor teams!

Take off the tartan specs and be realistic.

That's always been the problem with Scotland supporters though; this "we are crap but at least we know it" attitude. That's not supporting your team. Since when did realism have anything to do with it? ;)

Seems that Scottish supporters get more fun from England doing badly than they do from Scotland doing well! o_O

Seems that Scottish supporters get more fun from England doing badly than they do from Scotland doing well! o_O

It's a combination of both. Scotland doing well couple with England doing badly sends Scottish fans into a state of ecstatic happiness.

As for the game.

Pressley's challenge was not a red card. He had a man covering and it certainly wasn't dangerous. The ref got that one wrong.

As for the penalty, it could happen another 50 times and the ref will wave play on. Shevchenko was nowhere near getting the ball and decided to hit the deck after what appeared to be the normal contact between attackers and defenders when it comes to crosses. If refs started blowing for a penalty every time that happened, you would have a penalty after every single cross ball and corner.