Hallowe'en

Mario

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prepare to be bombarded with chances to buy pumpkins.

Break the mould! Bring back the Neapy-lantern! Make a stand for an end to americanisation! It's worth the extra effort.

And it's not "trick or treat", it's "penny for hallowe-en", any kids using the former should be promptly pelted with eggs themselves. Go on! Do it!

{Njugle's-Eye: Addressing the bigger issues in global politics :P }

ps I'm not joking though......show me a pumpkin and i'll stand on it, media nonsense...mumble grumble...

Break the mould! Bring back the Neapy-lantern! Make a stand for an end to americanisation! It's worth the extra effort.

And it's not "trick or treat", it's "penny for hallowe-en", any kids using the former should be promptly pelted with eggs themselves. Go on! Do it!

ps I'm not joking though......show me a pumpkin and i'll stand on it, media nonsense...mumble grumble...

What aboot kastin' stalks/kastin' kale?........Or maybe not!?! Haarly onybodee grows kale onymair, an carpeted hallways winna duh we d' gutter laek d' flaggit passidge.... :?

I remember when I was a wee lad going 'round Lerwick with my neepie lantern, collecting pennies in my old school sock. Those were the days and I miss them something rotten. Maybe I will go out this year, I am in my 20s but it would be a nostalgic trip for sure. I would very much enjoy the glaring looks of the people at the door - still, I hope there is something on in Lerwick. Last year Baroc said they had a costume contest on, I went, in full outfit only to find nobody there in outfit aside from me and my cronies - luckily, I was so drunk, I found it all highly amusing.

I mind certain kids from Sandvien and the like (Not that I’m being snobby – I used to live there myself at one point* ) would go out from 5pm until about 11pm, going to practically all the houses in Lerwick. Which was fine, if it weren’t for the fact that their “costumes†were often little more than a black essy bag, some dirt and a butchered neep with a fading torchlight crudely gouged into it. I mind they'd come along and just expect cash etc - more like muggers than guizers as I recall.

No jokes or wee skits from these sketchers – just a menacing “happy Halloween†and a shake of their cash receptacle. Half of them were at least 17! Ok, I exaggerate but as a kid I mind thinking that they were scary as.

No doubt the same wans who would follow the floats at the carnival to pick up the coppers that missed the baton twirlers or slightly drunk netball girl's buckets and tins….;-)

* escaped when i was 3 though!

I mind certain kids from Sandvien and the like (Not that I’m being snobby – I used to live there myself at one point* ) would go out from 5pm until about 11pm, going to practically all the houses in Lerwick. Which was fine, if it weren’t for the fact that their “costumes†were often little more than a black essy bag, some dirt and a butchered neep with a fading torchlight crudely gouged into it. I mind they'd come along and just expect cash etc - more like muggers than guizers as I recall.

No jokes or wee skits from these sketchers – just a menacing “happy Halloween†and a shake of their cash receptacle. Half of them were at least 17! Ok, I exaggerate but as a kid I mind thinking that they were scary as.

No doubt the same wans who would follow the floats at the carnival to pick up the coppers that missed the baton twirlers or slightly drunk netball girl's buckets and tins….;-)

* escaped when i was 3 though!

Aye, I was always dressed up well and had a pretty nice looking neep with me. I always felt that as time went on, guizers just expected to ge money by simply standing there. That's just pure nonsense. I remember when I was a kid, I at least had a wee act or a really rubbish joke to tell so I'd earn my 5 pence.

it was always 'penny for the guy' in my day.

there's a fancy dress halloween quiz in the angling club on 27th, that should be a good lark. i've gone as osama bin laden and brian/jebus in previous years with the same costume, only difference was a turban. :D

... and i hae nae doot du'll be dressed da sam dis year! :lol: :lol: :lol: . wait till du see's my costume :wink:

it was always 'penny for the guy' in my day.

there's a fancy dress halloween quiz in the angling club on 27th, that should be a good lark. i've gone as osama bin laden and brian/jebus in previous years with the same costume, only difference was a turban. :D

:D hoping to, yeah... who else wears that sort of garb?

Nice pic - I'd love to see that lad at my front door. Real quality costume. So aside from the Angling Club thing on Friday, there's nowt else on?

Damn, I get to excited around Hallowe'en, I'm hoping there is some other things happening this weekend. I guess I'll just have to wait till the Friday paper by the sounds of it :cry: