Religion & Theology (& should we respect beliefs)

JAStewart

Wrapping up metaphysical concepts with fancy words wont change the fact that our brains are the wrong shape to realise the bigger picture and if it could the day to day stuff wouldn't get done. Most if not all religions begun with people messing with hallucinogenic substances anyway. We are all intrinsic parts of life the universe and everything, everyone holds all the answers but there's no cheat codes that will get you them all, therein lies the game I suspect.

42 is as good a doctrine as any.

Even if you are an atheist you should understand that religion is a very important part of the human psyche - a precursor to the type of rational consciousness we currently exhibit.

We might never know the direction we should be going to realise the bigger picture.

We might never know the direction we should be going to realise the bigger picture.

Do we know? Seems to me we're treading water going noplace, we just "are".

Noplace? As both spiritually and culturally the majority of the population "worship" machines in the same manner now that our predecessors "worshipped" the land, the kirk and the community?

I don't think we all can be seen to be treading water. Only those in the furthest recesses of our planet are still "treading water" and the west is doing everything possible to bring them under the scrutiny of the "machines" in a similar manner. :wink:

Further, and simpler, how many atheists accepted the christian oriented holiday of the moment? That must have stung a bit eh? :wink:

Funny, we were just speaking about that. In our house Easter means the school holidays, which might or might not coincide with the public holiday called 'Easter Monday'. It has no other significance. But it is a good time of year for a break.

I just find a certain interest in the fact that the true atheist is very quick to denounce all things spiritual and then take a traditional christian holiday without so much as a placard.

It is a progression of the greater whole of religious ceremony, ethics and morality ingrained in our culture that the true atheist adheres to and also denounces without batting an eyelid. It's kinda odd. NB i said religious, not christian, as i know fine well the literatii will be quick to jump up and point out the pagan origins of christian holy days. :wink:

I was working today, by the way. :(

Do we know? Seems to me we're treading water going noplace, we just "are".

Noplace? As both spiritually and culturally the majority of the population "worship" machines in the same manner now that our predecessors "worshipped" the land, the kirk and the community?

I don't think we all can be seen to be treading water. Only those in the furthest recesses of our planet are still "treading water" and the west is doing everything possible to bring them under the scrutiny of the "machines" in a similar manner. :wink:

Is "worshipping" machines actually going anywhere positive, or is it simply side-stepping a little, or even taking a step backwards?

As each new generation is born the eldest one is still dropping off the other end at circa three score and ten years, yet are we really any further ahead in comprehending what it's all about, why any of this is here, than our predecessors of Millennia past with their sun gods and idols were? Certainly our understanding of our surroundings has moved some, but in terms of the big picture, is that increase in understanding really worth tuppence?

Is there much diference between one micro seconed of existance and three score years and ten on the scale of infinity, but if it's a case of the whole Universe in a grain of sand then who knows, are ancient text thousands of years worth of accumulated wisdom or stupidity well the words are there and already part of something but I could not honestly say even with experience of unexplained that I had found God. I would fear that I may be underestimating reality and overestimating my Ego if I stated that I knew the nature and wishes of the driving forces. I dont need the word of moses to get me to grips with a basic understanding of morals and ethics, I find him a little out of touch with things here, today. maybe we could get a church of terry pratchit or something at least it may be less grim faced than some.