Religion & Theology (& should we respect beliefs)

JAStewart

Yet more from Pat Condell

I'm tempted to call him a genius for his ability to get a complicated message across, but tbh, I don't think he really says anything which isn't common sense. I just think we tend to have a kind of liberal fog which stops us from seeing it.

To add even more substance to what he says, consider the recent publication of an "offensive" cartoon in a Swedish paper over which Muslim groups are planning to take legal action. As of 1st October new Eurpoean legislation will come into force which *could* (whether it is even enforcable remains to be seen) make this kind of free expression illegal, since it could spread religiously oriented hatred.

If I may be so bold as to propose, that certain beliefs are deserving of exactly that emotion, whether they are religious is irrelevant.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/09/04/europe/EU-GEN-Sweden-Prophet-Drawing.php

The Racial and Religious Hatred Act comes into force in October.

Snippets from TFA:

The new law creates an offence of using threatening words or behaviour to stir up religious hatred. Offences can be written, spoken, broadcast or published words or actions. Religious hatred includes hatred against a group defined by their religious belief or lack of religious belief.

The new offence can be committed by broadcasting, writing in a blog or on a website, recording sounds which are threatening, or in the performance of a play if there is an intent to stir up religious hatred.

Offences can be punished by a prison term of up to seven years and an unlimited fine.

Where a company is found guilty of an offence and it is shown that the offence was committed with the consent or connivance of a director or manager, that person as well as the company itself can be punished.

Gotcha so far.

There is a wide exemption for freedom of speech. The Act states:

"Nothing in this Part shall be read or given effect in a way which prohibits or restricts discussion, criticism or expressions of antipathy, dislike, ridicule, insult or abuse of particular religions or the beliefs or practices of their adherents, or of any other belief system or the beliefs or practices of its adherents, or proselytising or urging adherents of a different religion or belief system to cease practising their religion or belief system."

Lawyers - don't you just love 'em :wink:

One comment on TFA caught my eye:

Prosecute George Lucas

By Simon Painter

As 'Jedism' is a recognised (in some places) religion, does this mean that George Lucas can be prosecuted for inciting hatred, fear and the path to the dark side?

:lol:

Your statement displaying some knowledge of this Jesus fellow seems to claim some personal knowledge of his demeanour. By this are you claiming some gnosticism Koy? I never took you for the christian/jewish type but, then again, now that i think about it, you do express yourself with a certain zealous fervour right enough. :razz:

Well, either that or perhaps you may know this guy, Dr Jesus Smith, who may well be uppity and indeed toss, for all i know. Thus avoiding any issues of 'profanity'. :wink:

I never took you for the christian/jewish type but, then again, now that i think about it, you do express yourself with a certain zealous fervour right enough.

Rumbled :roll: Spot on, I'm Just checking the faithful are ready to be tested.

That last bit was just me typing in Tounges the arrangement of the letters was just an unfortunate coincidence. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Im sure jesus is a good guy and im seen him in cunningsburgh many times and he aye has his boiler suit on , riggers boots and toorie cap and also a kindo wax cloth waterproof jacket , im also seen him in lerick and once gave hime a lift doon fae voe in my blue chariot , he had been biggin a garage dat day for some man because he is such a good guy and seein as da devil maks work for idle hands hes likly wanti ta mak sure he doesna get catched oot . On dat occasion he showed me a miracle of being ambidextrous.

Im sure jesus is a good guy and im seen him in cunningsburgh many times and he aye has his boiler suit on , riggers boots and toorie cap and also a kindo wax cloth waterproof jacket , im also seen him in lerick and once gave hime a lift doon fae voe in my blue chariot , he had been biggin a garage dat day for some man because he is such a good guy and seein as da devil maks work for idle hands hes likly wanti ta mak sure he doesna get catched oot . On dat occasion he showed me a miracle of being ambidextrous.

Is dat da wan dat walks aboot wi da "virgin" mary ? :lol: :o :!:

Why religion is stupid:

We're not allowed to show a single image of the Muslim prophet, Muhammed (well, actually, MUSLIMS are not a allowed to show pictures of Muhammed, we can, but thats way too over the heads of the illogical extremists) lest we get terroristsed.

Yet, we can show a cartoon of Jesus and Bush turdting on each other and the American flag, as shown (hilariously may I add) by South Park when they dealt with this issue.

Regardings muhammed and such, if you think that its not cool to show a picture of him, then you're making a distinction between whats right and wrong to make fun at, which is wrong, because then Catholics could demand that no-one makes fun of catholics and so on until the world implodes to do people being PC.

Why can't we all just get along...

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. If we are not already in Hell, nor Heaven...does that not mean that we are all in Limbo? If they suddenly drop the whole Limbo thing then do we not all fail to exist?

Perhaps they are considering dropping it due to overcrowding. They might reinstate it again in a few years?