Religion & Theology (& should we respect beliefs)

JAStewart

^^ I just don't see what it achieves? Neither would I approve of someone telling someone else that their hair or taste in music was rubbish!

I may say that I dislike a hairstyle, or music type, but I would never infer that someone is wrong for liking it.

Very worthy and Politically Correct, I'm sure. But I'm not going to give up slagging people with mullets and James Blunt fans :)

^^ I just don't see what it achieves? Neither would I approve of someone telling someone else that their hair or taste in music was rubbish!

I may say that I dislike a hairstyle, or music type, but I would never infer that someone is wrong for liking it.

Very worthy and Politically Correct, I'm sure. But I'm not going to give up slagging people with mullets and James Blunt fans :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wasn't trying to be PC, I hate all that bull! :D ........... :shock: I would slag a mulleted Blunt fan! :oops:

If someone believes in a god, any god, then who are you to tell them its rubbish?

We might suggest that their god is wrong because some kill in that gods name. Some persecute in that gods name. It spawns hatred of the most unacceptable sort (homophobia, sexism, racism as I've said). This is all before we even begin to go on to the 'reasons' for why that god doesn't exist.

should religious people such as paulb be made to answer for the acts of this few?

Not held to answer for all the hells religion has released, no but to point out the lunacy and corruption inherent in the system which has them on their knees in a forum designed to debate such issues is not only fair play but it's the right thing to do.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself, what would Jesus do?

If he was real, that is. http://img2.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/innocent/innocent0002.gif

Guest posiedon

I seem to recall a while back that you "do not count" Buddhism as a religion. What kind of statement was that? You can't decide what is or isn't a belief system to suit your own preaching. Buddhists may be atheist or 'adeist' but they still practice a belief system or religion.Wink

Show me where I said that (pretty please) If you can't, then please retract it.

I seem to recall a while back that you "do not count" Buddhism as a religion. What kind of statement was that? You can't decide what is or isn't a belief system to suit your own preaching. Buddhists may be atheist or 'adeist' but they still practice a belief system or religion.Wink

Show me where I said that (pretty please) If you can't, then please retract it.

I'll retract the parenthesis, as it is incorrect, but the idea is there:

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66249#66249

:wink:

As JAS stated, "it is fulfilling" to mull over the fripperies of the over-evolved under-used human psyche, so concepts such as your questioning of Buddhism stick in my noggin for a bit. I still think that Buddhism is a religion.

As is earth/sun worship if one should choose to do so.

To expand on my previous point: If I became a rampant environmentalist, set up a shrine with satellite photos of earth in my home and chose to sing "Blowing in the Wind' every thursday, I think i could justify my fanatical obsession with Mother/Father Earth as being a chosen religion, muster like-minded followers and do nothing but good for everybody. The vast majority of the tattered shreds of superstitious bunkum, born of hearsay and misinterpretation, that have transcended history to the modern era may be destructive, bigoted and at times downright evil in the wrong hands but there is still a lesser-seen visage of 'goodness' born of religion in charity, community and service that I cannot bring myself to decry merely because I don't think there is a big bloke with a beard watching my every move. Religion can have it's place, psychologically, emotionally, socially and practically when managed in a reasonable and 'enlightened' fashion.

That is why I take issue with atheist bigotry. :wink:

I recommend the god Sol...

Sol brings life.

without Sol there would be no life.

Sol brings warmth.

Sol brings power.

Sol brings food.

Sol has the power to destroy humanity.

You can listen to the voice of Sol on the radio.

All other gods worshipped by man came from Sol therefore he is more powerful than any other god.

Sol was created in 1899, with an ABV of 4.5%

Stella was created in 1926, with an ABV of 5.2%

so although Sol indeed came first, Stella is more powerful.

both provide warmth, and both can bring food (usually from stomach to pavement - though it requires greater quantities of Sol to achieve this), however i believe Stella provides a greater sense of power, and is therefor is the drink of choice for the discerning destroyer of humanity.

not that i'm for one second trying to rubbish your god, i know just how uppity people can get when their beliefs are called into question. Sol is a perfectly acceptable drink so long as it's not shoved down the throats of those who prefer tea, coffee, tequila or liquid lsd.

i hope this helps you on your quest for enlightenment. :wink:

Religion can have it's place, psychologically, emotionally, socially and practically when managed in a reasonable and 'enlightened' fashion.

But its not managed in an 'enlightened' fashion generally. Also, it can mess up one's psychological capabilities, ruin lives emotionally and socially, and practically used as a murder weapon in extreme instances.

Despite this, I still don't mind religion staying around, so long as it doesn't infringe on my own, or others liberties, which (unfortunately) is what religion does best.

Despite this, I still don't mind religion staying around, so long as it doesn't infringe on my own, or others liberties,

That's quite a Shetland-liberal, live and let live attitude that has a lot to be said for it, but in "the God delusion" Dawkins makes quite a strong case for not going with the current PC thing of "people should be left to believe anything they want, even if it is wrong" - he comes across a bit of a zealot on TV, but certainly puts a well argued case on paper.......

• 1 month later...