Religion & Theology (& should we respect beliefs)

JAStewart

I know, just messin wit ya. Humanist selection has superceded that of the natural variety.

Being of slightly belligerent mood today, I might follow up with:

Christmas is coming, as in Christ Mass, the mass of that bloke Jesus, also known as, and tacked onto Yule: the sacrificial midwinter feast.

What is it that staunch atheists celebrate at this time and what do they call it, or do they uphold their assertions and ignore what is undoubtedly 'just another day'?

Or is it, if you will, just Shopping Week? :P

( I think I asked this last year too, I just canna resist it. :wink: )

What is it that staunch atheists celebrate at this time and what do they call it, or do they uphold their assertions and ignore what is undoubtedly 'just another day'?

Or is it, if you will, just Shopping Week?

Staunch atheists probably wouldn't celebrate xmas. That's like a creationist celebrating Darwin Day. Xmas isn't about Christianity anymore, its about greed, turkey and money. I'm an Atheist but I can appreciate my Christian heritage.

Technically Christmas is actually a pagan celebration, well not Christmas, but the 25th of December. It was 'coincidently' chosen to be the day of Jesus' birthday as well.

I really hate it though when films go on about 'the magic of Christmas' or 'The Christmas spirit' just trying to make a greater importance about the commercial side. However in the film Elf it's justified.

I'm an Atheist but I can appreciate my Christian heritage.

Surely if you're an Atheist, you don't believe that you have a Christian heritage?

Don't be ridiculous. The existence of Christianity and the existence of God are completely different. If you don't think you have live in Christian culture, think about what you say and concepts you use "Oh my God, Jesus Christ, What the hell, this is heaven".

No, no, no. Sorry. Don't take offence. I wasn't trying to be facecious (how the hell do you spell that word?!) I was just making an observation. I don't know. I would consider myself atheist, so I don't know how you look at that.

But also (again, this is a ?) the existence of Christianity cannot exist without a tip of the hat to the existence of God?

No, no, no. Sorry. Don't take offence. I wasn't trying to be facecious (how the hell do you spell that word?!) I was just making an observation. I don't know. I would consider myself atheist, so I don't know how you look at that.

But also (again, this is a ?) the existence of Christianity cannot exist without a tip of the hat to the existence of God?

Yeah my comment was a bit defensive, I apologise.

Regarding the existance: No. Scientology exists and doesn't mean we have to tip the hat to evil lord Xenu

Yet another reason Religions should be given the same respect as fecal matter on the sole of your shoe. http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6436872

People like that really, really annoy me, if they even looked in the bible there are cases of doctors and physicians.

James 5:14-15

"Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up."

;)

Technically Christmas is actually a pagan celebration, well not Christmas, but the 25th of December. It was 'coincidently' chosen to be the day of Jesus' birthday as well.

Bah, humbug, indeed!

http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/CGG/ID/1143/Christmas-Pagan-Origins-of.htm

Now, chuck another log on the fire, Helga, and hand me another side of boar.