WW2 spy in Ollaberry?

Fifi

• 1 year later...

There used to be a boom defence cable from Calback to Gluss which was raised & lowered to control shipping/submarine access to Sullom Voe. Anyone know anything about this?

Regarding this old query of mine, on the RCAHMS web site they have highlighted a wreck in Sullom Voe with the following comment - "The wreck of a WW2 boom defence vessel lies (apparently in shallow water) 160 metres SW off Little Roe Lighthouse. Three portions are recogniseable : Doors :Engine Room ; Bows "

The boom defence was obviously operated by ships, so that explains why there are no signs of any WW2 shore based buildings connected to the port defence

• 11 months later...

We moved to Oxensetter in Collafirth, Ollaberry in 1981. I was about 10 years old, and remember finding the remains of a bonfire site / brunt midden about 30yds from the house. Just dirty and dangerous enough to get my interest at the time.

I found a German 'Iron Cross' medal, it had been slightly damaged in the fire, but the Maltese-esque cross, crossed swords, laurel wreaths in the centre with a swastika on one side and the year 1939 on the other were all clearly visible. Any enamel and gold inlay were gone, but when cleaning it with some brasso I did find gold coloured residue, and identifying it from a book told me it would have had the cross edged in gold paint. The ring that the ribbon would have treaded through had melted into a blob.

The transmitter mentioned in this discussion was also in the fire, being a steel frame in was very rusty, but the frame I remember was definately a radio set of some description, some smashed valves and so on confirm that, but was it maybe just a pre-transistor radiogram? Just as likely.

Drew Ratter visited us asking if we had anything to offer for a history exhibition, I lent him the German medal. It caused quite a stir while on display, re-igniting debate about a Captain Robertson who stayed at Oxensetter during both world wars, and I've heard from several who mind him was a "known traitor", "gun-runner for the Kaiser" and other names I cannot quote here! Personally, I'd like to think he wasn't a nazi but more likely a shrewd merchant sea captain, who could command quite a price from the enemy, but would be expected by duty to serve our side. That would fit the character I have found in my research over the years.

I lost the medal when I moved house many years ago, but if my old landlord finds it I trust it is in good hands, as he runs the Shetland Museum.

The Shetland Times wrote a small piece on it and the stir it caused while on display at Drew's exhibition, not sure of the exact year, but definately early 80s. Folk say I should write a book on it, I beg to differ. Not enough info for a book, just a long long Shetlink Post.