Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

The phrase "Never debate with fools, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" springs to mind.

https://peterreynolds.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/simon-heffers-disgusting-prohibitionist-rant/

Things don't look like there going to be heading anywhere near the direction of solving the problem, anytime soon and it seems there are still plenty of Daily Mail readers, kept in a righteous, berserker fury to keep flaming torches flying at anybody they see fit or unfit; depending on whatever f****d up logic system they use to arrive at there conclusions.

"The table is tilted, folks. The game is rigged."

Get ready for more of the same but worse and at an ever increasing cost to us all...

except of course the likes of Mr Camercleggiband.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could always have balanced and reasoned love n hugs style debates with the skanky little hoodies as the come out your house windows carrying your stuff or educated discussions wi hash heads about turning out to thier work n producing , sure that will put closure on all drug related problems overnight. Debating with a fool is one thing , debating wi the police if your stuff will ever be found after your personal belongings have gone is quite another

You seem to operate your entire opinion about drug use around one particular stereotype that you hold on to; that wears a hood, shoots up smack, smokes loads of hash and is waiting to steal your video.

On what particular scientific study did you base your claim that someone who smokes hash is not going to make their work; say compared to the hungover, weekend, scoopdemup crew?

It may be somewhat of a surprise to you, that the majority of people who are using out there, have no interest in your video or partaking in any illegal activity whatsoever but yes, at present there will always be elements of criminal activity to be found somewhere among the drug culture, due in no small part to the fact that they are kept illegal and some people who see the gap in the market, that the powers that be seem to miss time and time again, will always see the profit margin there waiting, be it because they are in a tricky situation or securing there own supply at cheaper cost or just because they might be an amoral hound for a pound.

"If you build it, they will come" and the situation they have built for us concerning drugs legislation has done nothing but ensure a never ending s***storm of grief.

Legalise it; legalise it all and then the who's who of what, may get a bit clearer between who uses, who abuses and who just knocked off your video and is trying to get out of accepting the blame because "the drugs made me do it your honor and rehab seems a nicer option than the jail your honor"

Trust me, I'd like nothing better than to see the guy who is running with your video; sit in a cell for six months, twiddling his thumbs in frustration but if this means I am also to be judged by the same standard at the cost of perhaps my kids, home, job, then your option seems less inviting.

Just because we are in favour of the legalisation of drugs does not mean we are in favour of drugs. I have kids and I don't want them to use but if they do at some point choose to partake in drug culture; I want them to have some kind of safety net that is not made of steel spikes and that I can reach them from to give advice and help, should they need it, without the stigma and hate spat out from certain corners because they have dared to tread on the DARK SIDE of the perceptions of some.

"Drug taking is here to stay and one way or another we must all learn to live with drugs"

This is not a choice; this is the way it was, is and always will be...

Deal with it.

Good health to all and if you're not even trying to keep the head this new year, at least try and remember where you leave it.

:wink:

The phrase "Never debate with fools, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience" springs to mind.

https://peterreynolds.wordpress.com/2010/12/18/simon-heffers-disgusting-prohibitionist-rant/

Things don't look like there going to be heading anywhere near the direction of solving the problem, anytime soon and it seems there are still plenty of Daily Mail readers, kept in a righteous, berserker fury to keep flaming torches flying at anybody they see fit or unfit; depending on whatever f****d up logic system they use to arrive at there conclusions.

"The table is tilted, folks. The game is rigged."

Get ready for more of the same but worse and at an ever increasing cost to us all...

except of course the likes of Mr Camercleggiband.

You seem to operate your entire opinion about drug use around one particular stereotype that you hold on to; that wears a hood, shoots up smack, smokes loads of hash and is waiting to steal your video.

On what particular scientific study did you base your claim that someone who smokes hash is not going to make their work; say compared to the hungover, weekend, scoopdemup crew?

It may be somewhat of a surprise to you, that the majority of people who are using out there, have no interest in your video or partaking in any illegal activity whatsoever but yes, at present there will always be elements of criminal activity to be found somewhere among the drug culture, due in no small part to the fact that they are kept illegal and some people who see the gap in the market, that the powers that be seem to miss time and time again, will always see the profit margin there waiting, be it because they are in a tricky situation or securing there own supply at cheaper cost or just because they might be an amoral hound for a pound.

"If you build it, they will come" and the situation they have built for us concerning drugs legislation has done nothing but ensure a never ending s***storm of grief.

Legalise it; legalise it all and then the who's who of what, may get a bit clearer between who uses, who abuses and who just knocked off your video and is trying to get out of accepting the blame because "the drugs made me do it your honor and rehab seems a nicer option than the jail your honor"

Trust me, I'd like nothing better than to see the guy who is running with your video; sit in a cell for six months, twiddling his thumbs in frustration but if this means I am also to be judged by the same standard at the cost of perhaps my kids, home, job, then your option seems less inviting.

Just because we are in favour of the legalisation of drugs does not mean we are in favour of drugs. I have kids and I don't want then to use but if they do at some point choose to partake in drug culture; I want them to have some kind of safety net that is not made of steel spikes and that I can reach them from for advice and help, should they need it, without the stigma and hate spat out from certain corners because they have dared to tread on the DARK SIDE of the perceptions of some.

"Drug taking is here to stay and one way or another we must all learn to live with drugs"

Deal with it.

Good health to all and if you're not even trying to keep the head this new year, at least try and remember where you leave it.

QFT

"

Of course we will.

Here's to all of our tomorrows Koy - ;)

complacency and constructive support will ensure this , but i'm not alone in saying it does not have or need to be the case, it may well reach the point where the groundswell of popular opinion leads to more positive action as a bit of bleeding heart condoning

complacency and constructive support will ensure this , but i'm not alone in saying it does not have or need to be the case, it may well reach the point where the groundswell of popular opinion leads to more positive action as a bit of bleeding heart condoning

Good luck with that. :roll:

-Dr Michael Gossop-

"Every society has its own drugs. People have always used drugs to alter their states of consciousness, eagerly seeking out whatever naturally-occurring substances can be used as drugs and wherever possible deliberately cultivating them. Every part of the Earth that is capable of producing drugs has been used for this purpose. Vast areas of Europe are covered by vines. The cannabis plant flourishes in Africa and Asia; and from the Middle East down through Asia the opium poppy grows. In the British Isles some of the best arable land in the country is turned over to the production of that most English narcotic, the hop. In the Americas there are plantations of the coca plant, tobacco, and cactuses containing mescaline, and throughout the world there are mushrooms containing other hallucinogenic drugs. The only people with no traditional drug of their own would appear to be the Eskimos who live in a land so bleak that it does not permit the cultivation of any intoxicant.

Drugs play an important part in the lives of every one of us.

Drug taking is an almost universal phenomenon, and in the statistical sense of the term it is the person who does not take drugs who is abnormal.

Many people are likely to react against any suggestion that they are drug takers, to see it as some sort of accusation. The comfortable but quite mistaken orthodoxy insists that the 'normal' people who make up the majority of our society do not use drugs; set in sharp contrast to this sober normality are the 'abnormal' minority who do."

This is not a choice; this is the way it was, is and always will be... [qoute]

Maybe so , but then the particular little druggie bar steward who stole my car and wrapped it up last night will have to contend with whats going to happen to him when I get my hands on him..............whats good for the goose.......

Yes i did , my partner has lived here for 20 years and never had any reason to take keys out or lock the car. So does that mean that because of a few druggies everyone else has to be more vigilant while they get pampered.......................I dont bloody think so. :evil:

I should add that we live in quite a remote area off the beaten track and not a a roadside but in a private drive.

I should have perhaps reminded mhutch that the quote which has so upset him was from Michael Gossops book 'living with drugs'; Professor Michael Gossop is a leading researcher at the National Addiction Centre (Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London), and heads the drug dependence clinical research and treatment unit at Maudsley and Bethlem Royal Hospitals. In the mid 1990s he was responsible for devising and initiating the influential NTORS (National Treatment Outcome Research Study)

In 1998 he was presented with the European Addiction Research Award for "outstanding contributions to the advancement of addiction research". He is the founding editor of Addictions Abstracts, and has published more than 400 articles on addictions, including 9 books.

Here's what others have to say about his work:

Living with drugs is perhaps the best book currently available on the subject.

He gives a more accurate picture of drug addiction and outlines ways in which the control of drugs may actually promote the effects they seek to prevent. It is an enjoyable book, well written, richly illustrated from published reports and official documents, easy to read, and giving a balanced perspective.

Dr Gossop's avowed intension is to correct the most common misconceptions about drugs and drug taking. In particular, he sets out to get rid of medical tunnel vision and replace it with a broader psychological and social perspective. He achieves this effortlessly and very successfully.

Dr Gossop presents his views clearly and unambiguously with a wealth of anecdotal and scientific information on every page

Given that we live in an age where drug use is commonplace, this authoritative book would be an asset on any intelligent person's bookshelf.

good god , how full a which mind bending substance are you ?

I have no idea if Prof Gossop was full of any mind bending substance but I suspect his opinion is more based around years of research on a professional level and not just some blatant display of willful ignorance, by trying to shout the loudest about something he knows little about. :wink:

the particular little druggie bar steward who stole my car and wrapped it up last night will have to contend with whats going to happen to him when I get my hands on him

I understand your anger and your quest for justice upon said little git but are you planning to take it up with the individual involved in the crime? or would you like "a few druggies" taken out also on the way round? or are you planning to burn down the house of everyone who the local fish wives focus group has ever had their suspicions about because they heard they like the whacky baccy?

If the thief had been under the influence of alcohol, would you want the blame to be shared by everyone who has ever had a tipple or would you see that as a non sequitur?

Besides his hilariously putrid 19th century arguments, mhutch is measurably wrong simply because KOYAANISQATSI is the one who is proving him as such. Outstanding.

KOYAANISQATSI has spoken eloquently on the topic, providing evidence and logical solutions while mhutch has simply provided something which I might as well have read from the Sun or such other fine, well-written, literary journals.