Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

One day, when looking out of the window, I am more likley to see someone sizing up my house to see how much I can be extorted for to pay for any social care I may need.

You cannot not be bold and tackle something because you think something else may come of it even worse.

Human Beans have developed and can sorta work stuff out.

Sadly, due to many social reasons, a less close knit community and the attitudes of some parents these problems can increase.

There used to be little tolerance about folk doing even the minor things wrong. Some one was always brave enough to say something, and yup, there were knives and fists around then, but folk had some more respect, or fear.

Now that we allow minor things to slip, parking violations, litter, drinking on the streets everything has moved to lower levels of seriousness.

I hear comments at work now about murder cases and perhaps deserving to die. We used to get this sort of attitude with rape cases where the victim had to prove she/he was of good bearing. And it is still an uphill battle to change the minds of mostly men, as it seems here too, mostly males. So the answer was to look at the way the law was about it, tweek it to make such practices totally wrong and to remove the stigma again imposed by the ruling class.

Perhaps it is a way to avoid the real truths about the society we all have created, do dismiss or scapegoat folk to cover our own, mistakes, as we are all so very perfect.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone we know go?

It would be reassuring that folk educated themselves and could see that there is a deeper problem than just what the eye could see.

Hi Shetland Peat, sorry, I don't read the forum regularly. There was a good turn out at the event and I think everyone left better informed than when they arrived. There is indeed a deeper problem and I think those who attended were already aware of this to some degree, it's those with absolutely no awareness of the potential impact of drug use upon their lives whether at home, within the community they live, or at work that are most concerning.

Another event is in the pipeline so I'll keep you informed of when, and where this is.

Guest Anonymous
why should it matter if he leaves his car open with keys in it. its his/her property.

It doesn't. But to assume that a druggie took it simply because they're a druggie is a little blinkered.

There's no way that this crime was commited to feed a drug habit (unless the car was strewn with valuables), so the matter of being 'a druggie' would be as irrelevent as if it were commited by an alcoholic.

I'm intrigued how you concluded that the said individual who took your car was on drugs?

Cos I know who it is now !

Then why are you offering a reward on Shetlink's classifieds and if you do know who it is you should be working with the police rather than half-incriminating yourself with posts threatening said individual.

I feel that if you make drugs legal then something else (probably even worse?) will become the new haunt of the criminal classes who will never fit in (and never want to fit in) with legal society but instead want to always make illicit profits and simply move on to something else if drugs are legalised?

And they will be easier to spot since they no longer have the hugh base of people to blend in among and delegate the release of their product to, who are also classed as criminals because they use,

I can think of nothing illegal that they could move into that could show the same turnover or have the same impact on society as illegal drugs.

Nothing that could draw so many in and walk under the radar with such ease because of the necessary silence that must be maintained within drug culture to protect sources and supply from detection and to avoid personal prosecution and stigma.

Illegal drugs are the only thing that has gone down in price over the last twenty years.

Prohibition will never remove the interest that humanity has in altered states; it simply removes any real control over how and where they reach them; it can only ever exacerbate the problem by building for it, a dark Disney world with its doors always open yet still being impossible to kick down in any real way because its doors are are an interlocked part of human nature.

Humanity's war on drugs is being waged against itself; like a dog that has been locked in the back yard and denied the existence of. Its bark just keeps getting louder and more people keep getting bit by it. At some point it is going to have to be taken in and trained how to behave in a more socially responsible fashion. If you think it can just be put down, then you better have one hell of a shovel handy to bury it quick because this dog is comprised of hundreds of millions of people and it can regenerate itself against any damage it suffers in an instant.

Guest Anonymous

Humanity's war on drugs is being waged against itself; like a dog that has been locked in the back yard and denied the existence of. Its bark just keeps getting louder and more people keep getting bit by it. At some point it is going to have to be taken in and trained how to behave in a more socially responsible fashion. If you think it can just be put down, then you better have one hell of a shovel handy to bury it quick because this dog is comprised of hundreds of millions of people and it can regenerate itself against any damage it suffers in an instant.

I think you'll find that your mythical dog has company.. There's two dogs in the yard.

The other ones called 'criminal Justice system'. It barks alot but hardly ever bites and even when it does, It doesn't really hurt. Word got around a long time ago about this pitiful mutt.

Maybe if we attached a mythical elastic band to the mythical 'mutts nuts', It would bite everything in sight!.. Including its cellmate.

Maybe if we attached a mythical elastic band to the mythical 'mutts nuts', It would bite everything in sight!.. Including its cellmate.

You have not described what the mythical elastic band analogy is to be in real world terms or how the behavior of the analogy dog is to be improved by driving the thing more insane than it already is.

Guest Anonymous

You have not described what the mythical elastic band analogy is to be in real world terms or how the behavior of the analogy dog is to be improved by driving the thing more insane than it already is.

And :?:

Did anyone we know go?

It would be reassuring that folk educated themselves and could see that there is a deeper problem than just what the eye could see.

There was a good turn out at the event and I think everyone left better informed than when they arrived. There is indeed a deeper problem and I think those who attended were already aware of this to some degree, it's those with absolutely no awareness of the potential impact of drug use upon their lives whether at home, within the community they live, or at work that are most concerning.

Another event is in the pipeline so I'll keep you informed of when, and where this is.

That is fantastic, it is always good to have participation. Though I sometimes wonder if having the "other side" say how it chewed them up and how the better they are now sorta thing could help.

There are the many who work it out for themselves, these folk go around sorta wondering a little of the worth of it all, but folk I have known may not have set the world buzzing with their tale, they do help in their own way.

These forums too allow folk to vent their frustrations but there needs to be some sort of self control. Even more so when it will not take long to work out who or what the subject of the vent may be.

Perhaps we could do a deal here and ask those who want to understand more PM you for further info.

At the moment I do not know anyone from Shetland I know who has died because of an illegal substance abuse, but I do know of at least one who so sadly passed away as a result of alcohol abuse.

The problem really isn't the substance abused but the reasons behind it. I sometimes feel that folks can be frightened about this side of the problem, as it can be very close to home. But, admitting to your self you need help is the first step, I feel the next step of seeking advice is stifled because of the stigma.

This is why I think we should look at legalising it in such a fashion as to be able to control it, and eventually, at least eradicating the social harm it appears to do.

We have started with alcohol, but alcohol is all around us and to remove yourself from this is a greater challenge.

Guest Anonymous
And; since you posted the elastic band theory as a possible solution to the issue being debated here; we are now waiting to hear what your elastic band really is, and how it is going to be of help.

Are we? Sorry to dissapoint but there is no solution.. No elastic band.. No dog.. No mythical 'theory'. :roll: