Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying, what you brought to the debate was nothing then; thanks for the clarification.

Once again you've proven yourself to be a masterdebater.

bullshyte doesna baffle that many folk , the vast majority can see whats goin on n dunna like it , and dunna need to waffle on wi ficticious nonsense gleaned off the internet in great spiels of masterdebation as pointed out properly by northern exposure

god help us

Perhaps but we should maybe first try coming together to find a more practical and workable solution to the situation ourselves.

I know.....

We could start an internet forum......

....where like minded, and alternate minded, people have (virtually) open debate.........

We could call it .....................

erm...........

Shetlink ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm a newbie here so please be gentle with me! I've read a lot of the posts in this topic & to be honest haven't found much other than a lot of misinformed opinions held by people who have the attitude that the way they live their live's are correct & there is no room in our community for others to live their OWN live's based on their own self-beliefs. It should not be a matter of legislation as to what we fill our own bodies with, if the correct systems of regulation & distribution were to be put into place then nobody, or very few people would die due to substance abuse. All potentially dangerous substances could & should be dispensed by a health proffessionals, ensuring that the substance is of a high quality & that the individual is consuming their substance of choice responsibly.

Something in which Shetland society fail miserably at doing by the attitude that is held by a lot of older Shetlanders towards alcohol.

Can you honestly say that you never exceed your alcohol limit for the week ? Usually in one sitting, or by the time you leave the Thule !

I have to go & see my GP regularily to get my opiate substitution prescription at least once a month, which I take the same daily dose each day. I work full-time in a proffessional occupation which can be very demanding at times & consider myself a contributing member of this community. My work colleagues hold me in high esteem & I NEVER turn up to work still half sozzled from the night before. I sometimes wonder how many people would be queing outside the Lerwick Health Centre...down the South Rd if any of you folk out there who like a drink would need to get a prescription for extra booze because they had polished off their weeks units in 1 night & needed a prescription for more ?

Why not ? I've been a drinker, Shetland style & have done more damage to my body by exceeding my weeks units. As alcohol is the biggest drain on our wonderful NHS why not stigmatize drinkers who are regularily damaging themselves, in the same way the "moralists" stigmatize drug users ? Stigmatization is not what I want for good folk who drink a bit too much, nor is it what I want to see drug-users experience as it has a negative effect on self esteem & possible recovery ( if that is what you want )

What we need is to go back to the British System of drug treatment, get rid of the criminals that control it, put it into the hands of the NHS who could charge for certain prescriptions ( recreational drugs ) & make a few bucks on the side.

I apoligise if I have repeated any older posts as I just skimmed through the first 30 pages!

This " war on drugs " started by Nixon has been a lie though with the clever use of the media. 100years ago, my friends grandmother who was brought up in a mining village in Scotland used to pop down to the chemists every saturday & buy a small bottle of opium tincture ( diamorphine ) for her father. The only crime there was the odd fight between the miners in the local, no gangs threatining violence like is so often reported in the media nowadays. It was kept strictly for once a week & what wasn't used they used to treat ailments. She said her father never took it more than once a week, normally for a hangover cure on the Sunday & that her mother always took a bit for herself. :lol:

Next came the British system that prescribed diamorphine, cocaine, barbituates & amphetamine to people already addicted to a substance. This proved highly succesful as it removed the user from any outside criminal influences & also the need to obtain money to pay for their drugs if they had to commit crimes to support there habit.

There are less than 30 of these "old timers" left in the country now & they are having to fight for the right to stay on prescriptions that they have been stable on for over twenty years, with no incidence of crime among any of them once they were given NHS prescriptions for the drugs they were addicted to.

Now we here our latest Goverment talking about the road to abstinence & recovery....wait for it, it applies to the DRINKERS among us with a hike in the price of alcohol & for the courts to take into account more thoroughly the effect of any alcohol that may have been consumed, as well as your general drinking pattern should you get into trouble.

For the last 20 years the Government has advocated maintenance treatment as far as opiate treatment goes & there is at least 330,000 people who Medical Maintenance Therapy is essential for keeping jobs, paying the mortgage, feeding the kids....yes, all the things that normal people do...but they're ON DRUGS!

Well they could be anyway, addiction knows no boundaries when it comes to class, intelligence, or occupation. Even Florence nightingale had an opium habit...it's true, check it out.

So if the crack-pot politicians ( I only voted for lib/dems because they advocated maintenance therapy...DOH! ) decide to apply arbritary time limits to people in drug -treatment who are living normal lives & chuck them out onto the street corner as it were. What's going to happen then...?

I can see Mr.Big rubbing his hands already waiting for all his old customers back...

It's scientifically proven with statistics that the longer someone is in treatment will have a better chance of relapsing than someone who is reduced of their medication against their will.

So, we seem to be worse off now than we were 100 years ago.

British Drug Policy is now draconian compared to other countries in the E.U. It's time the drug laws were transformed, prohabition of any substance has never worked, all it does is create a black market.

We need to be thinking "out the box", people have taken drugs since time began. Opium was one of the "spices" that were traded 1000's of years ago & will continue as long as people want to experience different states of mind. How can we really make substance use as harmless as possible?

Thanks Mr. clootyap, I don't expect many people to embrace my views I am only doing this to try to educate people on the real issues surrounding drug-treatment in the U.K. at this time. Our laws are draconian compared to other E.U. countries & there is murmerings coming from the Tory / Libdem / Tory politicians of arbitery time limits being imposed on people in drug treatment. This of course would be a disaster as research & science shows us that people on opiate substitution prescriptions can / do contribute to our society through occupations, voluntary work just the same as anybody else. To force somebody who may have been on medication for 20+ years off it when they are leading a normal life, paying taxes just the same as anybody else is sheer idiocy. It will only inflate the sale of illicit opiates controlled by criminal gangs who don't give a flying fek about the persons well being, or for that matter the state of the country.