Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the lack of pot is the cause of folk taking smack then legalise pot, but smack is far too destructive, and is not something you will ever get me to agree to not because I'm blinkered but because I have witnessed far too many times the damage it does.

That post shows that folk need to take more responsibility for their surroundings and community. If you had a better understanding of the subject you could have been in a place to help rather than stand back because you know not what to do. You may not have bought the blinkers but you are not forced to wear them.

Again, you are being emotive and think you have the right answer. You are not to be blamed, it is the whole of society to blame.

I wonder what you did to try and understand what went on.

With my friend and his death through drink, I have been through a process of education, I can see why these things happen and am trying to learn from this, I have not met his kids since.

But there are no calls to hang the guy at the shop.

Perhaps you may see that Govs and they way they raise money are not always the right or OK thing when it comes to substance abuse.

why on earth would it cost 15 grand a year. it costs about £1.30 for 5mg and 10mg are £1.50 so even multiples of doses would only cost pounds a day. they give clean needles so it would not be a major task for them to adim the drug as well.

the amount of stuff caught really is worrying if even if its only 10% which is probably to high there are a lot of druggies out there. they will not get better by them selves. just making the stuff legal will not cure anyone.

Yes it appears that the ghostrider is actually someone who by some means has educated themselves on the issues surrounding addictions of all sorts. It's a relief to know there are some people who do think before they type & not just spout of a load of kak based on uninformed opinion.

Making any substance legal will not " cure " anybody, but it will reduce the harm that a lot of substances cause purely because of their legal status & will allow individuals to alter their state of mind without being labelled as criminals or having to mix with any criminals. As for creating addicts, that's a no-brainer. Without a black market the only way for people to access hard drugs would be through a health proffessional who wouldn't prescribe anybody drugs unless the individual can prove that they use that drug. Usually done by simple urine tests.

So it would very possibly reduce the number of young people coming into contact with harder drugs.

The figure quoted Paul accounts for what you mention, but also the treatment. Folk need help to go from one state of mind to another, the plans are not to give out free opiates but to give the one to one guidance and help that is requires. Also families will have to be repaired, the mental issues that go with that.

You cannot just lock folk away you do not want to deal with. Not at 40 grand a year each.

Best to get them earning their respect back, and working on restoring their self respect. Then they can join in. The savings, if it just about money will be ongoing as families will rely less on the state as more folk return to work. Or are able to return to work.

I have met folk who take up to 500 ml a day.

Why does OP8S 'attack' everyone with a different opinion ?

Personally, I think that the only way forward with drug abuse is to remove the criminals who are supplying it and, the best way I can think of doing that is to start prescribing it to registered addicts on the NHS.

Prescription charges (if any) should go some way towards recovering the cost and addicts will get clean drugs administered by doctors etc.

Every fix they get from a doctor is one fix less that the dealers supply. Take the organised drug gangs out of the loop and you should see a great reduction in the problem.

Maybe the nature of the drug?

The addicts, or those who become addicts are victims of many things. And the harm the money from the drug trade does makes any of the problems seen on the street in Lerwick or Preston quite small.

The dealers are the ones to remove, but to a level, some are doing it to finance their own addition, hence small fry.

Good posts GR.

Good thoughts Colin

then we get onto drugs like crack/cocaine. there is no way that a doctor is going to give that stuff out. what about the other drugs as well most are to dangerous and harmful for them to be dealt with in the same way.

your right its going to cost loads to give therapy to each person. but it will be worth it if it was to work. infact to use some of the trusts funds to send them to a decent rehab unit and give them a good start.

even morphine can only be given for so long before it becomes toxic to the body. so it has to be part of the treatment that they are prepared to reduce overtime. any drugs bought after they are on a program must then be treated as jail time.

ive noticed that some pushers seem to get lighter sentances if they are from shetland than say from south.

Colin I dont think OP8S is attacking anyone, I think what he's doing is pointing out that when educated they would think differently.

The frustration comes from knowing something is 'fact' and then seeing people argue black is white without even bothering to self educate. Clearly for many this is a drop in subject that they moan about over a beer in the pub with thier mates , its not something they have spent any amount of time properly researching because its not something they are really that interested in.

Not saying that anyone who contributes to a thread should be an expert but simply saying if you want your 'opinion' to be crediable then maybe do some reading first.

Cocaine is a mental addiction substance that will affect the body only because of the mind. Opiates bond with the nervous system to block various signals being transmitted across the synapses.

Most alcohol is odd because the alcohol does not make us drunk, it stops a chemical being made in the brain that controls how we act. Some folk who have had brain injuries can act drunk, because of the same thing.

The body makes its own painkillers as we know, though I have posted links to an American study here on these forums about long term drug taking and how the body copes, some records date 20 years or more.

The treatment for cocaine is benzodiazepine, a type of medicine that has nitrazepam, or commonly known as Mogadon. It is normally given to get the user a good nights sleep. The rest of the treatment is talking to trained professionals.

I know there are sometimes calls for tougher sentences, though a large number of considerations have to be looked at, I think we know them. You can view some of these cases and their deliberations on this site

http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/1/0/Home

You can see the complications of a fair system being exercised and how important it is.

ive noticed that some pushers seem to get lighter sentances if they are from shetland than say from south.

Could it be that Shetlanders are victims(?) whilst the 'Soothmoothers' are here with evil intent??

there is that. but look when you read up on the mules history they are just as much a victim as the shetlander.

just watch the value of the drugs found against the sentance its not evan handed.

if they are pushing the stuff then they are guilty of a very evil crime and personally they should go away for a long time. the addict caught with just there own stuff is a diffrent matter. pleding they are just supporting the habit is rubbish they are causing others to suffer.

Legalising hard drugs and supplying them cheap or free through whatever system is objectively putting a safety net in place for loosers , magic , deficate on the folks wi ostheo arthritis and save the junkies. I propose most of the spade work being done here to free up legislation on behalf of the stunned is young folk wi a conscience that are thinking "oops turd, we're getting in a bit deep here" , perhaps one or two who like hash but refuse to recognise all drugs get shipped in en mass together and of course the good ol troll contingent. Legalising soft drugs and condoning hard drugs will alter nothing in respect to Shetland. Alcohol is legal and widely available but doesnt stop home made potent wine , bottom blasting beer brews or stills that blind you. As airy fairy drug legislation wont stop cheaper drugs being brought in .

Is neither young ..nor a drug taker ..nor a troll. Is however someone who has done her reasearch and a lot of it and found hard evidance to prove that it has and continues to work in other EU countries, the fact that the Swiss saw addiction figures drop by 90 percent must perk your curiosity surely?

Colin I dont think OP8S is attacking anyone, I think what he's doing is pointing out that when educated they would think differently.

I don't want to, and will not, start an argument about this. It's just not worth it but, when I see phrases such as "load of kak" and "uninformed opinion" in the same line, it just seems to me that the post is bordering on a personal attack against whoever it was had the temerity to express an opinion.

As for people being 'educated' into holding a particular opinion... go figure it out.