Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All youse wanting it legalised, my goodness you trust the british govt, dont you? If they cant look after pensioners, patienmts, unemployed, squaddies, ex-squaddies, working folk, single mothers, muslims, christians, ayone but themselves, how the HELL do you seriously - living in the real world for ten seconds here,- expect them to run a scheme looking after asddicts to drugs, supplying them, etc. What happens when the first recovering addict decides to try it again and o.d.'s and dies (lets face it thats how most heroin od's happen, and YES that is a fact before anyone asks., The doctor who runs Phoenix House in glasgow told me himslef last year) Theior family are quite understandably upset and sue the governmenet for negligence, irresponsiblity (isd that a word?) etc.

They cant organise themsleves, how are they goingh to organise a topic like that. Would you want jack straw or john precsott/redi in charge of your wee brothers/sister/daughter/son who were jjunkies? I sure as hell would nhot!

Who or what pays for it? You going to tell me the tax on it would pay for the outgoings? Haw!

Sorry, in a utopian world, yes, great idea. in 21st century Britian, nope, cant see it. In which case, be realistic and in the meantime, until we're all weraing togas and kloving they neighbour, look for workabel alternatives.

Just a suiggestion. :roll: :)

All youse wanting it legalised, my goodness you trust the british govt, dont you? If they cant look after pensioners, patienmts, unemployed, squaddies, ex-squaddies, working folk, single mothers, muslims, christians, ayone but themselves, how the HELL do you seriously - living in the real world for ten seconds here,- expect them to run a scheme looking after asddicts to drugs, supplying them, etc. What happens when the first recovering addict decides to try it again and o.d.'s and dies (lets face it thats how most heroin od's happen, and YES that is a fact before anyone asks., The doctor who runs Phoenix House in glasgow told me himslef last year) Theior family are quite understandably upset and sue the governmenet for negligence, irresponsiblity (isd that a word?) etc.

Why would they sue the government ? My family wouldn't sue the local off-license if I died of alcohol poisoning.

They cant organise themsleves, how are they goingh to organise a topic like that. Would you want jack straw or john precsott/redi in charge of your wee brothers/sister/daughter/son who were jjunkies? I sure as hell would nhot!

Are you serious ? Who do you think deals with junkies at the moment ?

The answer is the Police, the Prison Service and the NHS, all of which are run by, er, the Government, the same jokers you say can't be trusted to look after junkies.

Vanilla Ice was never my favourite flava. What does that mean in context? Are you refering to cystal meth and ice, drugs, etc, or what? If so does that mean your in favour, Trout?

Confused. :wink: :?:

The context was one of sarcasm. Crystal meth is also known as Ice, as well as a whole swaith of other terminology.

Legalising something won't make a lot of difference. There will still be people that don't qualify for the 'scheme'. These people will continue to flout the law and turn to crime to fund their habbit. For example some people on Methadone trade it for Heroin, hence the reason why the majority have to attend pre-arranged appointments and consume it on the premises.

Legalising something won't make a lot of difference. There will still be people that don't qualify for the 'scheme'. These people will continue to flout the law and turn to crime to fund their habbit.

Some people steal ( and commit other crimes ) to fund their addiction to alcohol or gambling. Does this mean drinking alcohol or betting on horses should be made illegal ?

For example some people on Methadone trade it for Heroin, hence the reason why the majority have to attend pre-arranged appointments and consume it on the premises.

If both heroin and methadone could be obtained legally, this wouldn't be a problem.

Supposing the government legalise heroin. They could buy it from the same countries that are selling it now. The Britain would again be responsible for funding war around the world as these countries could continue to trade arms. One day they may even invade Britain - yes what a wonderful idea legalise the lot and see what would happen.

Supposing the government legalise heroin. They could buy it from the same countries that are selling it now. The Britain would again be responsible for funding war around the world as these countries could continue to trade arms. One day they may even invade Britain - yes what a wonderful idea legalise the lot and see what would happen.

Well, buying it from the countries that are selling it illegally would be one option. However, it might make a little more sense to manufacture it in the same factories in this country that currently make heroin / diamorphine for medical use. I don't know about you, but I'd rather fund GlaxoSmithKline than the various Afghan drug lords.

Legalising drugs is not the answer at all. Hard drugs cause very real misery for all and making it easier to get hold of is not going to help matters.

And, while we are on drugs, the price of all drink should be hiked up big style. Drink is far too readily available and is cheaper than it has ever been. Government need to take a very hard look at drink and the misery and violence it causes.

I am no killjoy and I enjoy a dram but the pubs are open to long and drink, as I say, is far too cheap. That allied to the fact that manufacturers actively target very young people with products that are no more than spiked fruit juices turns an awful lot of young people into serious binge drinkers.

Legalising drugs is not the answer at all. Hard drugs cause very real misery for all...

My argument is that the misery is exacerbated by the illegality of these drugs. Legalisation would improve the quality of the drugs, making them safer, and reduce the price of the drugs, meaning addicts are less likely to turn to crime to pay for them.

and making it easier to get hold of is not going to help matters.

Heroin, cocaine, and other illegal drugs are already very easy to get hold of.

while we are on drugs, the price of all drink should be hiked up big style.

while i admire your desire to eradicate whiteys, i don't know how that would be enforced...

"a pint of lager please, mate."

"are you on drugs, sir?"

"er, i... um, er.... what?"

"right that'll be £6.50 to you sir, you hopeless depraved addict."

seriously though, the price of drink has rocketed over the years. if you want to make intoxication the privilege of the well-to-do, well great, never mind the people at the other end of the scale with real problems who can no longer afford their regular escape from the grim reality of their lives. i'm sure this will work perfectly and they will all become happy, well-balanced office workers.

if you put any substance out of reach of people who are regular users, things are likely to get rather desperate. if drink was to become outlawed/unavailable tomorrow we'd all be distilling moonshine from our own piss within a fortnight... :roll:

Drink is far too readily available and is cheaper than it has ever been. Government need to take a very hard look at drink and the misery and violence it causes.

just no. i kind of agree with your latter point though.

manufacturers actively target very young people with products that are no more than spiked fruit juices turns an awful lot of young people into serious binge drinkers.

absolutely agree. but making it more expensive isn't the answer. kids today get too much pocket money... :wink:

Distortio by name distortio by nature.

I made no connection between a drug (not alcohol) user and people buying drink and no I don't think it should be a luxury item for those who are better of.

It is a fact that in real terms drink has never been cheaper. You can buy a bottle of whisky for £8, in fact I saw an advert last week for £7 offers, now and it cost around £12 a decade ago for the cheapest. I don't want to get into "when my folk wis young bla, bla yada, yada" thing here but it is a fact that buying drink was a special occasion thing no more than 25 years ago and gradually it has become more accessible because in terms of income it is cheaper and therefore more readily available more often. In fact it is now cheaper than chips!

As a nation we drink more and more every year and that has to be down to the availability – it’s just to cheap!

And to legalise hard drugs and make them cheaper would lead to a similar thing. So as you say cheaper therefore negating the need to steal? Sorry that it wrong.