Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just been hearing the cops have done a drug bust at a house in the north end of the toon. Any news who it is.

PS Hope the B***ard rots in the jail.

Curtain twitching nosy fascist. You have no idea who it is. You have no idea what the police have found (if anything). You have nothing better to do?? Tattie heed.

I enjoyed the photo in yesterday's paper of a drug dealer in Belfast who was tarred & feathered by the community, then tied to a lamp post with a notice around his neck saying "I am a scumbag drug dealer"

Apparently the community had been complaining to the police about the guy but the police couldn't/wouldn't take any action.

The police also have not pursued anyone for the "assault" on the dealer.

Unfortunately, this attitude of throwing stones based on rumour is all too common. This fellow promotes rumour and suspicion as if it were a virtue; it is his modus operandi. Check the start of this thread for more examples of his attitude.

You can bet, regardless of the facts, this type of person will be there waving his pitch-fork and jeering. Suspicion, paranoia and rumour are not good methods for dealing with societal problems, but some cannot (or will not) look further than their limited 'knowledge' before deciding how to react.

It is an attitude fuelled by ignorance, rather than information, so it's no surprise that rumours serve as the foundation for this view.

I have just been hearing the cops have done a drug bust at a house in the north end of the toon. Any news who it is.

I heard it was some guy with a habit of turning out batches of vodka type moonshine from ness tauties, in a still cunningly disguised as a computer, that they'd raided.

How do you know they were born out of wedlock if you dont know who it is?

let's not jump to conclusions, i think he may want to lock up some bollards.

...and here was me thinking it was buzzards.

I guess the situation in Shetland has deteriorated somewhat in my absence, or is there too much media hype?

I get the Shetland Times sent over occasionally, and if I were not from Shetland I would think twice about going there as a holiday destination. Obviously, I know better, but I feel the media could be damaging our reputation.

No, I'm not burying my head in the sand and denying that there is a problem, but is at as bad as it's made out to be?

The problem is as much the reaction to drugs as the substances themselves. The media whip people into a frenzy over many topics (be it drugs, paedophiles, gangs with guns, or whatever) and those reluctant to think for themselves begin to see the spectre on every corner.

Yes, some people have problems with some drugs and Shetland has its share. But mostly, Shetland's major drug problem is with alcohol.

Portraying Shetland as an iniquitous society is inaccurate but, since people would rather jump at shadows than switch on a light, we have the current culture of fear.

I think that a perspective has to be set here. Indeed there are more drug users in Shetland than we want but the fact that the Shetland Community Drug Team know about these folk is surely a good thing?

I dont need no help from any team thanks, and surely if all these unwanted legal and illegal drug users where to pack up and go, then I cant see much hope for the islands as they would be completely void of humans, and Para would get very lonely.

More heads and less sphincters, would be the ideal.

Regards the inevitablity of addiction and how we as parents/society are powerless to stop it, just sounds so bleak and sad. Does society just give up on trying to prevent young folk from becoming addicts? There were some interesting points made earlier regarding what makes someone an addict. Some people do seem to have an addictive personality. Hereditary factors? Social and economic factors?

When faced by some threat to our cherished social and moral order, we look for the menacing stranger. When young people become dependent upon drugs, we want to blame the pusher, the demon that takes possession of their souls. Any explanation seems preferable to the prospect that the drug addictions may be due to properties of ourselves and of the social stuctures we believe so blameless. Addiction re-awakens that ancient dread reserved for the omniscient and utterly evil corrupter.

In view of the muddled thinking that surrounds the addictions, it is hardly surprising that there should be even greater confusion about how we should treat people who become addicted to drugs.

The inevitable moral, physical and social decay that has so often been attributed to the use of drugs turns out to be another myth, a moral judgement masquerading as an impartial medical observation.

In all discussions of drug taking there is a danger that moral attitudes may eclipse scientific judgement. It is not so long since masterbation was well-known to both the medical profession and the general public as the cause and the symptom of a variety of illnesses, that solitary sex caused impotence, pain on urination, a lack of coordination, tuberculosis, indegestion, dizziness, epilepsy, loss of memory and many other disorders. The great psychiatrist Esquirol stated masterbation "is recognised in all countries as a common cause of insanity". From our smug contemporary omniscience we can laugh at this hopeless tangle of medical science and puritan morality. It was, however, not so funny for the victims of this error. In the mid-nineteenth century, the medical society of london created a surgical procedure to remove the clitoris in order to prevent the female version of this disease. In 1891 the Royal College of Surgeons advocated amputation of the penis as a treatment for masterbation.

This curious episode in the history of medicine is seldom mentioned in the textbooks, though it provides an instructive example of how behavior that offends accepted morality may be mistaken for an objective medical disorder.

It is no more logical to suppose that drug addiction, any more than masterbation, should in itself cause the sorts of deterioration described. We no longer expect addiction to tobacco or coffee to cause these changes (although they were once widely believed to do so); why then should Heroin or any other illegal drug have such magical effects? There is no reason, for instance, why a drug addict should not work productively.

The contemporary picture of drug addiction as a chaotic and criminal activity is largely due to the different people who are now attracted to this subterranean world of drugs. something like 80% of the opiate addicts today have a record of criminal convictions. Yet it is unwarranted to jump to any simple conclusion that the addiction caused the criminal behaviour. Most addicts become involved in crime before they become addicted to drugs. The crime and the drug addiction both reflect a more general social deviancy factor that led the person to reject a more conventional life.

The moral view of addiction as a form of depravity is no longer as fashionable as it once was. It is now more acceptable to say the addict is sick. But in itself, drug addiction is neither sickness nor moral depravity.

In the end this view may be no more helpful, and it actually perpetuates many of the misconceptions that so bedevil our understanding of addiction.

Addictions are habits, and as such they may be regarded as being good or bad according to what they help us to do or what they interfere with our doing.

The drug addict is not an evil, vicious and depraved monster; nor is he a perfectly normal person suffering from a metabolic disease. Addicts are individuals. Some are friendly, others are hostile; some are law-abiding, many are not. There is no such thing as a single addictive personality. Nor is there a single addict life-style, people become drug addicts for many reasons. There is no necessary reason why dependence upon drugs should cause such people to become the depraved, vicious criminals described by Anslinger, Tattie heed and others.