Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt if anyone has heard but there have been recent findings that cannabis and mental health have no connection.

I find it very hard to believe that cannabis use has no effect on the mental health of some of its users.

Sure, there are those that can and do smoke every day to no ill effect and will even assure you that smoking is what keeps them sane, but if you spend enough years as a sustained drug user (I'll restrict this to cannabis for the moment) you must agree that in some cases it really does screw you up.

Maybe it's because some people may have an existing nurtured or genetic tendency towards mental health problems but I'd say that if you were "in the balance" at all then smoking dope isn't going to do you any favours.

It doesn't have to be a gateway towards the more professional end of the spectrum and I'm in no position to lecture on abstinence, but to try and say it is without risk is just nonsense.

PS Obviously you could substitute "alcohol" into the above and it wouldn't change the meaning much.

I find it very hard to believe that cannabis use has no effect on the mental health of some of its users.

I believe there's a correlation between cannabis use and mental illness, but I'm not convinced that cannabis use causes mental illness; it's possible that the mentally ill are more likely to smoke cannabis for some reason.

I have been around folk that have been smoking dope for nearly 30 years.

Yes some of them are a bit off their trolleys but they were a bit off their trolleys before they smoked the waccy baccy.

But the most telling thing is that those sane individualls are still sane, dope hasn't sent them round the bend.

the only downside to their dope smoking has been persecution from the police, ignorant members of society who consider them junkies and ill informed employers who drug test and sack those that show canabis in their bloodstream.

(** mod edit - comments removed - let's avoid the speculative jungle drums **)

I believe there's a correlation between cannabis use and mental illness, but I'm not convinced that cannabis use causes mental illness; it's possible that the mentally ill are more likely to smoke cannabis for some reason.

To clear this up, mental health is purely genetic. You cannot catch mental disorders. They are written into our genes from birth, it is just a case of when will they activate. Same as cancer. Of course people act or think differently when they are smoking, it would be a waste of time otherwise.

We don't drink alcohol to enjoy sobriety(intoxication is the name of the game).

To clear this up, mental health is purely genetic. You cannot catch mental disorders. They are written into our genes from birth, it is just a case of when will they activate.

So post-traumatic stress disorder is caused by genes? And there was me thinking that it had a bit to do with being shot and watching mates get blown to bits.

Consider situation, circumstance and context and then read a text book on the subject.

^^ Surely something like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is pre-determined by an individual's genetic makeup though. Have X number of people involved in a "traumatic" incident all in the same capacity, and not all will develop Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Its not like "traumatic" incidents have an equal effect on all people.

Seems to me it comes down to the point that while some people can and do develop mental illnesses without an external triggeer, which must be for entirely genetic reasons. Other people and other mental illnesses require that additional external trigger to be activated, but that still leaves a portion of the population who will not suffer mental illness for either of those reasons, or for any other(s) that they might be exposed to.

From that you can only conclude that, while I agree it is technically incorrect to say "the cause of mental illness is genetic", it is correct to say "the main reason for mental illness developing is genetic".

^^^^ According to MoD pShrinks PTSD can and does strike pretty much anyone, in fact sometimes if personnel have been involved in a deep stress situation and they don't have a reaction then they're normally far more worried that they've got a high functional socio-path on their hands.

Genetics in PTSD tend to relate to recovery from rather than propensity to develop the condition, but again circumstance, condition of the sufferer and context of the episode are also strong factors.

I agree that there are genetic pre-dispositions to certain mental illnesses but the earlier poster's comment that they are all gene related is wrong. The Royal College of Psychiatrist's web site has some interesting info.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/problems/posttraumaticstressdisorder/posttraumaticstressdisorder.aspx

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is exactly what it says it is. Its STRESS, not an illness. How can you compare the two. The brain has been exposed to abnormally high levels of "stress". I did not say anything about genes being part of PTSD.

If a person does have the Genetic problem which causes mental health problems, they are more susceptible.

But we are discussing DRUGS here guys an gals.

Cannabis does not cause any mental health problems. Obviously it'll mess your head up if you take it to the extreme. But what wont.

It will bring out markers in people who have a familial pre-disposition to mental illness. predominantly schizophrenia.

But i must reiterate!!! IT will not cause mental illness.

^^ PTSD may well affect pretty much anyone, but that's not the same as it affecting pretty much everyone that was involved to the same intensity in any one given incident. Every individual is different, and by default of that so are their definition of "high stress", and their ability to process and neutralise any stress they encounter.

Certainly some individuals who have no reaction to what is ajudged by the majority to be a "high stress" situation may, at some later date "explode" and/or experience some other sort of "meltdown". However not all will, as there will also be individuals, regardless of whatever the situation may have been, who will have no reaction simply due to the fact they did not find the situation anywhere near so "high stress" as the opinion of the majority, and/or are intensely private people who must process and neutralise stress internally to achieve peace. Which brings me back to my original point of "the main reason for mental illness developing is genetic", as mental illnesses which are activated by external triggers, such as PTSD, rely on the the mental characteristics of the individual to dictate how they develop, if they develop at all.

But that's probably a conspiracy too

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/mentalhealthproblems/alcoholanddrugs/cannabisandmentalhealth.aspx

What?, a conspiracy to massage the findings of unlisted studys by unknowns, mix with half truths and the age old disinformation trick and give out the results you were told to find before any spliff was ever sparked.

SURELY NOT

:shock:

There have also been suggestions that cannabis may interfere
In New Zealand, researchers found
Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested
There is growing evidence
Three major studies
Recent research in Europe

Political manipulations a go go. :roll: