Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you suffered some sort of permanent and life-changing injury ( eg paralysis ), and you were simply unable to pay for the 24-hour care you required ?

I depends on the system. One could obtain private insurance which covered this.

And what about those people who couldn't afford this private insurance ?

What if you suffered some sort of permanent and life-changing injury ( eg paralysis ), and you were simply unable to pay for the 24-hour care you required ?

I depends on the system. One could obtain private insurance which covered this.

And what about those people who couldn't afford this private insurance ?

Depends on how the injury was suffered. If it was because of someone else you could sue them.

^And what if they had no money? Do you think people would start suing each other over the slightest of things just to get some cash... all the while being spurred on by an army of money grabbing lawyers? Now where is the "sue you" mentality already a part of the culture? Here's a clue: everything there is Awesome!!!!

Depends on how the injury was suffered. If it was because of someone else you could sue them.

So imagine the scenario. Householder has Contents and Buildings insurance. Skint person is delivering, let us say, an Avon catalogue to their abode and trips on a badly maintained step leading to the door and breaks their leg in 3 places. Embarrassed householder who had nagged hubby for last year to repair step drops off injured bod at hospital as no ambulance available ... :wink:

Now skint person has a part-time job paying minimum wage but their employer doesn't pay extra sick pay, only SSP. Off they limp to see Personal Injury Solicitor who fires off letter to said householder who, in turn, passes the letter onto their Insurers.

A year later and a cost of approximately £20,000 to Insurers, injured bod gets approximately £7,500 for General Damages/Solatium. Now where did the remainder of the £20,000 go then? £5,000 to the injured bod's Solicitors, £2,000 to Loss Adjuster investigating, 6 weeks worth of loss of earnings (Special Damages) and the remainder goes to the Compensation Recovery Unit - yep, the Government Body set up to recover inpatient costs, ambulance costs, and other NHS charges (including prescriptions and SSP) incurred as a result of said accident.

So bearing that in mind, how would that make any difference to NI contributions if insurance companies already pay out to the NHS/Government in such circumstances?

And what has this got to do with drugs?!!! Silly me, the injured bod must have got addicted to painkillers after said accident.

@coastie Hmm...time to upgrade this forum software methinks! I remember those elephant/peanuts posts too!

You mean the off-topic sharn that I deleted? I dunno, some folks just cannot take a hint (or a direct telling for that matter) :roll:

Check the topic, folks. Not NHS; not elephants with peanuts up their noses... not even the wider subject of drug regulation. Drugs in Shetland.

/wanders off muttering darkly

^And what if they had no money? Do you think people would start suing each other over the slightest of things just to get some cash... all the while being spurred on by an army of money grabbing lawyers? Now where is the "sue you" mentality already a part of the culture? Here's a clue: everything there is Awesome!!!!

Orkney? :P

*Removed p nut from heffalump*

I had a number of posts here about my experience with drugs but I do concure with oneoff post on page 20...

It is a complecated subject, cos everyone is not the same and that makes treatment indevidual..

There is no one cure....a cure that will last...

By the time folk who have problems realise they have problems it is not too late as some folk think, there is more added due to the way certain, if not all drugs change a way of thinking....

I personally think that if you were to make growing your own legal, there may be less gateway fx....

But as I have seen with hashish and other canabis products, folk want stronger more specific highs. and it gets stronger to a point where the chemicals within do not balance anymore..

Smoking weed used to be a happy event, now it seems an obsession...and even more worrying, addictive, but more for the indevidual.

It was a dubdifuse, not a requirement...

The drug problem in shetland is ridiculous!

Most older people think that all teenagers take drugs. I'm a teenager. I do not take drugs. But i can see why people think that and i think it's horrible that all these morons that do take drugs make us get tarred by the same brush.

I can remember my friends smoking weed when we were like 15/16 but most of them grew out of it, but not all of them. Banged into a guy out of my year at school who i know is using heroin! Thats mental!! he'll only be what? 19? 20? and he's already using smack!

Another thing that really annoys me is that the police dont seem to be doing anything about it. It's like they dont know whats going on but they blatently do. Get it sorted!

I had an awesome childhood in shetland knowing it was safe and what have you but i'm not looking forward to bringing up my children into the community this is turning into. Stop people bringing it in. Should adopt a more "Orkney" approach i doubt!

I'm not really sure to tell you the truth :?

Something along the lines of not letting people come to stay without good reason. Most of Shetland's drug trade is coming of the boat. The sniffer dog should be there every morning. Why is Orkney not getting hit as hard as Shetland with drugs? (not a rhetorical question)

They dont take no guff!

How to stop Drugs in Shetland.........

1/ First the police have to want to.

2/ Drug dogs meet ferry every morning, check the car decks and after passengers have left do a quick tour of the cabins and lounges

any positive reaction from K9 check passenger list for cabin occupancy or cctv for lounge areas.

3/ Drug dogs meet every plane arriving into Shetland.

4/ Every bulk postal delivery at main post office checked by Drug dogs.

5/ Spot check any Marine vessel arriving at Shetland ports ( use a bit of wit and be pro-active )

To arrive in Shetland you fly in or sail in......

think how easy it is to control drugs as opposed to counties on the mainland....

it's down to the police to want to stamp it out.

^ You missed out: 6 - Have 24/7 coastal observation to prevent drugs coming ashore at random, secluded places.

As others said previously, if drugs cannot be kept out of prison then how can we expect to keep them out of Shetland?

I think the very notion is laughably impractical. Even worse is this assumption that somehow drug dogs are even useful in this process. Just get lots of dogs? Riiight...