Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

Im fed up with the "nothing to do" excuse, people can allways find somthing to do. it shouldent be up to society to provide them with endless things to fill their time. They should be responsible for doing that themselves.

The truth is people take drugs because they make you feel good.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im fed up with the "nothing to do" excuse, people can allways find somthing to do. it shouldent be up to society to provide them with endless things to fill their time. They should be responsible for doing that themselves.

Indeed. The ‘having nothing to do’ excuse gets regurgitated almost every time drink and drugs are discussed in a Shetland context.

What shetlandlady isn’t there to do in Shetland that there should be? Surely Shetlanders, thanks to the excellent facilities provided either directly or indirectly by the SIC, have a greater choice of things to do (sporty and otherwise) than folk in many other rural areas? Is having a cinema, bowling alley or the like really going to make any difference? I don’t see that it has in Glasgow, Manchester, Aberdeen, Leeds or any other urban metropolis in the UK where the choice of ‘things to do’ are aplenty yet social problems as a result of drug or alcohol abuse are of a comparatively bigger scale than in Shetland.

Indeed it shouldn’t be up to society to find things for people to do. But for better or worse, society (often at a very local level) determines what is and isn’t acceptable behaviour. Consuming vast quantities of alcohol to the point of leglessness at almost every social event is considered normal behaviour in Shetland. Choosing to look for something different to do which doesn’t involve alcohol (camping, hillwalking, kayaking, cycling, having mates round for dinner, fishing, hiring a house elsewhere in Shetland for a weekend, whatever) isn’t for many people.

It may not be the only reason, but the culture and acceptability (or otherwise) of alcohol or drug use in any community has a great deal of influence over why problems exist in some areas and not others.

I am kind of thinking the same way but perhaps I would say that it is "fun" to drink or take drugs. The sooner society acknowledges that the better. Only then can we start to deal with the problems drink and drugs cause.

With drink we have to somehow convert people to the notion that while drinking is fun........even underage drinking is fun........I know cos I was once a teenager........that drinking to excess is less fun and indeed is dangerous.

Different thing with drugs......sure we need to get young people to be very aware of the dangers that drugs pose but we need to convince the Great British Public that drug addicts........and indeed many dealers.......are victims.

I get annoyed with all the half truths, lies and hysterics about drugs. For example ectasy is a class A drug and I have yet to hear of someone who has died from taking it, most folk you hear who dies from it actually dies from drinking to much water and not the actual drug. Its taken by huge numbers every week and these deaths are very rare and as i say its not the actual drug. There is still no definate proof of any long time lasting damage unless taken in huge doses every day. If this is classed as a class A how can anyone take things seriously, as its far safer than drink and fags, only real danger is getting somthing else which u think is ecstasy or it being mixed with somthing.

Wish people would look at the facts and not what hysterical press say.

Sorry Styles have to disagree with you. The truth is people take drugs because they are stupid and end up dead. plus any others they kill along the way

Perhaps everyone should take time to start at the very beginning of this thread and read through it again.... good God it's a chore! but I have done that very thing now!!

There are sides to the same argument being drawn up again - and for fear of getting dragged down into a perpetual loop of hysteria and non-fact - I urge everyone to do the same.

I stand by my previous posts in this thread.

re: the naming and shaming.

Please note that Shetlink is in an impossible situation. Yes, "these" people could perhaps well do with being strung up and then quartered - opinion is the choice of those registered.

Please do understand that there is a very very thin legal line that Shetlink treads through by allowing people to post "opinions" of "local interest" into the "public domain".

The current Forum Terms & Conditions aren't there for the hell of it! They are there to protect you and Shetlink !! I urge you all to read them again thouroughly!

Also note that comments made by moderators regarding moderations in this thread stand!

quote]

Sorry Styles have to disagree with you. The truth is people take drugs because they are stupid and end up dead. plus any others they kill along the way

Thats weird as i have known tonnes of folk allthrough my life that have taken tonnes of all manner of drugs and still do, and most of them are what i would class intellegent people, they all have normal lives and full time jobs, never get in trouble, none of them are dead either and i have not heard about them killing anyone else. All of thses people must be statistical annomalies. Or could this just be the drug hysterics i talked about?

Yes we all end up dead some time. It is the only thing in this world that makes us all equal. Regardless of what some believe about them selves, race colour, or religion. But as far as I’m concerned one want to strive it of as long as possible. And twatts who do drugs because they have no moral fibre to face there problems, and stick needles in there arms or pour it out off a bottle down there gob for a an convenient escape. How about drink? You just have to read the Shetland Times every week to see that most of the court cases, that it is used as a reason for getting a reduced sentence. A young girl is dead because of drugs in Lerwick. I can’t see a better reason than that for banning the lot Full Stop. But no they will send the culprit on all expenses paid holiday to Benidorm With pat on the head for pleading guilty. I’m surprised that they haven’t clamed he was abused as a boy. One death by drug abuse is one death to many. As for safer than drink. Anybody who thinks that is just burying there head in the sand. I would not hesitate to report any one to the police that was using drugs that wasn’t prescribed for them around me. There are people having to take drugs just to stay alive. They would give any thing to have a normal life, drug free..

There are sides to the same argument being drawn up again - and for fear of getting dragged down into a perpetual loop of hysteria and non-fact - I urge everyone to do the same.

The loop of the arguement looks set to continue until the imbalance in reason and logic is put straight on all drugs. For instance Cannabis carrys a fourteen year sentence if your caught with an amount that may be thought of as enough to supply, so growing is out of the question for many who instead must keep running back and fore to whoevers got to maintain supply and in turn supports the black market.

Alcohol remains generally encouraged despite what you hear about alcohol awareness and our own chief super calling it the heavyweight destroyer.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/492/two_good_reasons_to_want_to_legalize_drugs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQNsmA7KQYw

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/5310/unst3ni0.jpg

Unst people drink a toast to the dreams of Highland entrepreneur Frank Strang and Blackwood Distiller's vision of the island as "whisky heaven".

A comment posted at the bottom of the page KOYAAN...etc provided a link too which neatly sums up my opinion on this subject:

Legalizing *standardized* doses of all intoxicants, free of harmful adulterants, for sale would be a start. Taxed like alcohol or tobacco, they would generate substantial tax revenue. You would be assured of a known product, at a known strength. Since the brain is still developing into the early-ish twenties, the age of legal consumption would be raised appropriately. Anyone caught consuming underage would be fined, not prosecuted. (More revenue.) No paid advertising of intoxicants of any form would be permitted. For gross public intoxication, another fine ... and more revenue. Unlicensed producers or sellers would be fined, and registered for a license ... at a substantially increased fee. Producers or sellers who freely registered would pay a much smaller license fee. They would have to meet strict product standards. All these taxes and fees would generate substantial revenue, all earmarked for drug education programs, harm reduction, medical supervision, social and psychological counselling, and the inevitable administration of the entire control apparatus. "Drugstores" would dispense all drugs, with medical information sheets outlining short and long-term effects, and noting any dangerous combinations with food or other drugs. There would be aisles and aisles of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, fungi, cacti, exotic plants, and endless shelves of pills all neatly packaged.

People aren't going to stop getting high on something or other that someone else thinks is bad, ever. Legalize it all, integrate each into a social niche, monitor the medical and psychological effects, and let the marketplace and government profit.

The measures above would shut down the criminal drugs industry at a stroke, empty our overcrowded jails and decriminalise the majority of the population who are currently criminalised because they like to get high now and again.