Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

After reading the Shetland Times, 6th July 07 p4 "Heroin grips young in it's deadly vice" I decided it was time to share my experiences and air my views.

To me it paints a very bleak and familiar picture.

In the mid to late 70's in the city where I was born there was a big push on to stamp out cannabis use/abuse. To a certain extent statistics showed the authorities success. Law was getting tough on dealers and users. Arrests, prosocutions, siezed contraband and assetts were happening everywhere. This appeared great for the authorities and the Government. The knock on effect of these actions to the users and dealers was firstly more risk and secondly a fatter pocket for the cannabis dealer. Due to his product being highly sought after, the price became out of reach for a large proportion of regular and casual user.

For a number of months, possibly a year or so the cannabis users turned to what this country find most accetable,.........Yes.... Drink, Alcohol, Booze. The charity Alcohol Concern estimates that there are more than 22,000 premature deaths a year related to alcohol. How many die or would die from solely Cannabis use? I am not interested in the results for Cannabis/tobacco combanation as these statistics are easy enough to find. I for one cannot find a single clinical case recording death by cannabis alone.

Then came the significant increase in Heroin use/abuse. I must point out that heroin was always around before the push to stamp out cannabis, but due to cannabis being cheap and available there was very little interest in the pursuit of heroin. Because of the resultant lack of availability and intermittant supply of cannabis people started to look for something else. It didn't take the heroin dealers long to realise that the market for his misery was about to expand -massively . For the dealer, he knew that heroin was easier to conceal and smuggle. He also knew that a pound of heroin would bring in substantially more money than the same weight in 'smelly' cannabis. Usually a heroin dealer (especially where there were a number of dealers) would tout for buisness, after all they were the salesman of the black market and there were offers like 'try before you buy'!!! Sad I know, but it was a fact. The worrying thing is that I see the same pattern repeating itself here in Shetland.

How do we stop this scourge? Easing up on cannabis and coming down hard, I mean HARD on the heroin dealers, may be the way forward. People will always take drugs and drugs will always find their way in. At the end of the day the government make the laws and the police carry them out - regardless of there opinion, they're just doing their job. With present government policy I dont see any solution for the inevitable.

A quote from the Shetland Times article says "We might expect prostitution, theft from pubs, cars and perhaps houses." Prostitution is likely, but not on a scale to be worried about. Theft from pubs will certainally happen, mobile phones, jackets, bags and wallets/purses. 'Perhaps' houses - No houses will definately be broken into, along with your car, you boat in the marina or your much treasured tools in your lock up or garage. This doesn't take into account your children who will take the tv and video while your watching it. . Your teenage or twenty something year old son or daughter who is house sitting while you are on holiday. They will already have the removals van ordered for when you are on the plane. Ready to sell all your belongings including the lightbulbs for a hit. Honestly, I've seen it all before.

Another quote "For nearly 40 years the illegal drug of choice in Shetland has been cannabis. But it has been expensive, selling at up to £70 a quarter ounce in Shetland around Christmas last year, and the quality can be rubbish. Sometimes there is no supply and these so called "droughts" may lead to people trying whatever else is available from the dealer." - Just where I have been coming from.

Why not let people continue paying £70 for sharn? At the end of the day and after 40 years - It's better the devil you know. Trust me you don't want to know heroin.

Ebb

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One argument we get thrown at us from time to time is that cannabis leads on to harder drugs, and I would just like to point out that I think this is hardly the case.

Most young people start experimenting with alcohol, and this is a dangerous drug in-so-much as it lowers your inhibitions, perhaps even moreso for teenagers.

Cannabis, on the other hand can heighten your awareness, and it's one of the few drugs that gives you an appetite. Most others starve you.

Of course, cannabis is not without its downside, as are indeed all drugs when taken to excess. For some people cannabis can cause paranoia. This is hardly going to lead on to harder drugs now is it. If anything you can become more inhibited, unlike alcohol.

Another myth we here is that cannabis users (in a drought) will go looking for an alternative high, perhaps sample some opiates as they're easier to get on the Isles. Cannabis and opiates aren't even in the same ballpark!

Cannabis doesn't lead on to harder drugs. Alcohol can, when inhibitions are low. Curiosity is the one that killed the cat...

Absolutely, Medziotojas. Despite the fact that the gateway theory has been largely discredited, it is still a popular argument because it's convenient and (apparently) logical.

For example, this respected study is almost a decade old:

In 1999, a study by the Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Health at the Institute of Medicine entitled "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," found no evidence of a link between cannabis use and the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs on the basis of its particular physiological effect.

http://books.nap.edu/readingroom/books/marimed/notice.html

Despite this, and many similar findings, the gateway theory is still believed, by some, to be a legitimate theory.

If anything, this gateway 'theory' is actually a misunderstood observation and stems from the fact that certain people who are likely to try one kind of intoxicant are also likely to try others. It's more to do with personality types than substances. If someone is prepared to break the law and risk damaging their body with one thing, why not others?

Combine this with an inaccurate and unhelpful classification system and it's easy to see why problems arise. The really important messages are completely masked by hysterical nonsense spouted by folks who are too nervous about the topic to even research further than their latest copy of the Daily Mail.

I think, both Medziotojas and Fjool, are slightly misrepresenting the case here. While Cannabis might not lead directly to harder drugs as and of itself, it cannot be argued with that cannabis has to be obtained from dealers who themselves act as the gateway to harder drugs. If cannabis were legal and available from cafe's or corner shops, only then, would the link between cannabis and harder drugs be broken.

^^^

And all because the braying of the Daily Mail and "lobbyists" drowns out any kind of logical consideration of the problem.

1971 - Just under 3000 heroin addicts registered in UK. Current drug laws introduced.

2007 - Just under 300000 heroin addicts registered in UK. Wow, what a success (in creating a problem where none was before).

You're probably right Fjool, there is a difference but it's one of those topics which cause people to blow hot or cold about generalities no matter how it's introduced. Be a big thread if you combined them though, you'd need to bring out a book of "the story so far" ...

Another myth we here is that cannabis users (in a drought) will go looking for an alternative high, perhaps sample some opiates as they're easier to get on the Isles. Cannabis and opiates aren't even in the same ballpark

They may not be the same ball game but they are both on the field, often offered into play by the same ball boy and while it remains the individual choice what they indulge in, price and availability are always a factor in the bigger picture.

personally if I'm ever seen a bit sharn faced these days it's only ever when there's been no ganj.

"well, nearly always only ever"

The alternative high theory may be myth but the hangovers were legend.