Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

granny you want everyone to get addicted to learn how stupid it is.

No. What I take from her is that some people become addicted trying to self medicate to escape from their problems. I've known may alcoholics and it is clear to me that their addiction stemmed from problems that they have not been able to face in any other way. It's also possible to get addicted to prescribed drugs for the same reason.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, what I think granny was talking about is the underlying reasons folk become addicted to drugs, and for us not to condemn until we understand a little. Ignorance can kill, and make you look a bit remedial if you are not willing to find out why, but also there is a biological reason or two...

Heroin, is a perfect fit for the recepticals in our nerve nodes, or synaoses, they occupy the receivers and block other signals, that is y they are so good at pain relief. An why the human body likes them, and anyone who takes them for long enough will have to be taken off them sometimes slowly to continue a normal existance, ie someone on dihydracodine, used as a musculat/skeletal pain relief and which thousands of folk are addicted to...

Hashish is the same, there are parts of the body that accept canaboids well, and again block signals.

Alcohol, which is integeral in most deaths and injury in this country works in a similar way. I prevents chemicals being produced that keeps us thinking and acting straight (for want of a better word). Some folk with brain injuries, strokes and brain cancers can also appear drunk.

The society which we have produced has gone someway to make us who we are....

To promote the use of ileagal drugs on a public forum without thought or care for the folk who can easily be impressed is some what irresposible, and could be seen as an endorsment on such a prestige site that caters for ALL ages. And you dont really know that they are as organic as you think, especially as they rely on manure and other biological matter from animals that are loaded with atibiotics and other preventative medicines, and the land could be contaminated from residue sprays and other airborn stuff..

What is the policy on folk promoting ileagal activities here. You may be breaching some T&Cs, I would check, would be best...

And you could try to understand those around you and you would get a better handle on life it self....

Tis about Ivory Towers most of the -ve comments....

Be careful you dont drive too fast, you could get hurt....

again its a no brainer you lose if you use.

That conclusion relies entirely upon individual perspective, and it probably would be more accurate as a generalisation if you said "it costs you if you use".

Nothing comes for free in this life, and if you have an otherwise "perfect" existence "you lose if you use" might well not be all that inaccurate, however where people have pre-existing issues, hungers and urges which they are having to live with 24/7 anyway. Using, while creating the same losses for them as anyone else, actually also creates a net gain for them from their perspective, if using can eliminate or at least reduce the pre-existing issues etc which, in their opinion are the greater evil.

^^ So hanging around all weekend smoking and being stoned out of your box, yet getting it back together to be back at work on Monday morning, is "no benefit" compared to hanging around all weekend getting stressed, irritated, angry, depressed, whatever etc is it?

In fact how does that differ to someone who goes on the piss Friday night, needs the hair of the dog whenever they come round on the Saturday, which leads to another session on the Saturday night?

Yes, certainly a number of "drug" users end up in hospital, or the court, often both, but so do as many alcohol users. It doesn't alter the fact that there are a whole lot more folk out there who use both in quantity and/or regularly yet never see the inside of either building. The problem is the ability to use within safe (for each individual) limits, not use or not to use per se.

pray tell how Marriage/sex/owning a tv/putting up wallpaper benifits anyone. no matter how messed up someone is they will not benifit from using. visit the hospital on a weekend and ask the staff if the people they are treating for domestic abuse/STDs/getting no exercise/falling off step ladders, have gained anything.

pray tell how being born benifits anyone. no matter how messed up someone is they will not benifit from using life. visit the hospital on a weekend and ask the staff if the people they are treating have gained anything; in fact it is certain to kill you sooner or later.

I have pals who are doctors, joiners, accountants, electricans ect ect and take tonnes of illegal drugs at the weekend and have done for the past 15yrs years and on with no ill effects. None of them are addicted. They work all week, have familys and are upstanding people.

I am against them being crimilised for doing somthing that surely should be up to them and does not effect anyone else. Only problem would be due to it not being legal you could end up with somthing thats not what its ment to be.

What is the policy on folk promoting ileagal activities here. You may be breaching some T&Cs, I would check, would be best...

This very topic has always been on Shetlink and due to the very fact you state, this site has such a varying community of all ages and opinions, we've prior allowed opinions of this subject from any angle.

There are always enough sensible balanced and thought provoking answers to any random generalised dogmatic statements to provide, again, a balanced view.

The topic is very close to everyone as 'drugs', illegal, legal, in whatever form, pervades everyones lives in some format or another.

Drugs in Shetland

Should drugs be legalised?

Dogs Against Drugs

I have pals who are doctors, joiners, accountants, electricans ect ect and take tonnes of illegal drugs at the weekend and have done for the past 15yrs years and on with no ill effects. None of them are addicted. They work all week, have familys and are upstanding people.

I am against them being crimilised for doing somthing that surely should be up to them and does not effect anyone else. Only problem would be due to it not being legal you could end up with somthing thats not what its ment to be.

if you have a doctor who is your mate and they are using. then for their sake and their patients they should be reported. a chap in hyde in cheshire started off by using. a not to bothered by the others its there choice but a medic thats definitly a no no.

^^ Should we start reporting medical staff too then, who by all appearances have an "alcohol problem", going by their off duty habits.

I could name names of numerous medical staff from the most senior downwards, who I've personally seen intoxicated beyond the limits of what is legal on numerous occasions while off duty.

How come its okay for a nurse to end up in court on a DUI rap gained off duty, and nothing comes of it with their employer, but were they to end up in the same place for possession a bit of weed, no doubt they'd be hell to pay at work.

This very topic has always been on Shetlink and due to the very fact you state, this site has such a varying community of all ages and opinions, we've prior allowed opinions of this subject from any angle.

PMed

Right, as we know, canaboids can remain in your system for a few weeks, cocaine and other stuff 3-4 days.

So, what does worry me is the suggestion that you are implying that some of my members of my family have been treated by a so called professional who may still be under the influence of some sorta chemical they thought it good to take at the weekend..

Tis a hyprerthetical thing there.

I dont think it is something to boast about, you could then make folks think...

The same with drink.....

Some of the trades you quote, deal with folks lives and folks do deserve to think that they are in safe hands...

The effects of alcohol and drug taking do have serious issues in the work place..

You don't know yet, the damage that can be done to some folks, physically and mentaly..

So, tis folly to say they do little or no harm...

And, you have just dropped your mates in it too...

Ghost, it is about legalities, alcohol can be obtained legaly, hash not, unless you have a prescription, then it would warn of using while driving etc.

ghostrider said

How come its okay for a nurse to end up in court on a DUI rap gained off duty, and nothing comes of it with their employer, but were they to end up in the same place for possession a bit of weed, no doubt they'd be hell to pay at work.

any nurse that is convicted of a criminal offence or even cautioned is reported to the NMC by the police there fitness to practice would be in question and for the drink driving offence the likely out come is to be removed from the nursing register. even if they managed to survive they would have a conviction that would affect there chances of getting a future job. I'm sure there is similar rules for doctors. Any nurse found to be unfit due to drink or drugs wilst on duty would be suspended and reported. which would result in the same outcome.

^^ Nice in theory, but in practice it doesn't always happen that way, even locally. Without incurring mod stick waving over T&C's by naming names, I can't comment further.

In any case, thats all very well when an offence has been committed, or someone is caught on duty under the influence, but it doesn't cover those people who are frequently slaughtered off duty to the point they need helping home. The only difference between a DUI and someone that needs helping home is the former tries to drive themselves, but the latter allows themselves to be driven. Both are inebriated to very similar degrees.

Your original post was effectively saying that if anyone had knowledge of any doctor using any "drug" at any time, they should report them. What I'm saying is, I fail to see what the difference is between a doctor who smokes when off duty until they're completely stoned out of their box, and one who when off duty drinks themselves in to the same mental state, yet you're advocating reporting the former without doing anything about the latter?

one is a crime the other is not. but a doctor/nurse who gets that drunk needs help. your implying that being drunk is equal to drug use. i challenge that statement. if you know of anyone who you think has a drink problem please contact personnel at the health board. its better that they get the help they need now than for them to lose there job and worse. there fellow workers have a duty to safe guard the service users so they will and do report them. if your intrested look up some of the cases heard before the nmc/gmc.