Drugs in Shetland

da ness tattie man

well done on getting clean and good luck staying that way,

but what I wonder are your thoughts on the sharn written on here stating that is quite possible to function on heroin and lead a productive life.

quite frankly i think anyone writting that in a public forum should be made to take responsibility for the poor sod that reads it, tries smack then finds out the truth.

Some people want to get clean & do so, some choose not to & are prescribed maintenance prescriptions of diamorphine, morphine, methadone & other similar medications. Some have been in receipt of these prescriptions for 40+ years, bob me old pal. Check it out it's true. People just the same as the rest of us, who have brought up families, studied for degrees & started business's of their own amongst other things.

I'm not condoning the use of illicit substances bob, nowhere have I said anything about that. I'm merely stating that prohabition of any substance has never worked & never will. The money needs to be invested in education & harm reduction. If that means the addict is supplied the substance of their choice from a health proffessional rather than some shady dealer who doesn't give a toss about the users health, then so be it.

We can't be getting things any more wrong than we seem to at present.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well done on getting clean and good luck staying that way,

but what I wonder are your thoughts on the sharn written on here stating that is quite possible to function on heroin and lead a productive life.

quite frankly i think anyone writting that in a public forum should be made to take responsibility for the poor sod that reads it, tries smack then finds out the truth.

Firstly, I want to thank you all for your comments. When someone like myself undertakes the process of weaning the mind, body and soul from a powerful addictive drug such as heroin, one of the most helpful weapons we have is praise and helpful comments from family, freinds or even strangers- because it is by those comments and words we base our decision that we CAN face the world again and we CAN pick ourselves up to live a normal life again.

To your question bobdahog, the answer is no. I belive heroin has a place in this world. That place is where it is MEANT to be right now- in hospitals where people with such terrible conditions such as cancer, their last days are marred by excruciating pain and morphine isn't working anymore- THAT is the place for the drug. NOT on the street. Heroin destroys EVERY illicit user in the end. That was what I hoped the poem I sent would bring home along with an understanding and an insight into how terrible a place a heroin addict is in.

If the person doesn't want to get off it, doesn't want to try? There's no hope.

I worry about the people like myself who genuinly screwed up and made the wrong choice at a bad time in life. I'm getting better but there's THOUSANDS out there who have no idea what to do or where to go because of fear of shame and ridicule.

I'm with bob on that one X5h3AD, coming off heroin is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, even if it is done medically. It's something that you felt that you had to do & did, so I congratulate you.

The term " we " does imply that you include every opiod user & for some users they don't feel that they want to stop using or be forced to stop because of archiac laws. I agree that the use of illicit heroin of the streets does ruin peoples lives, but there are over 330,000 opiophiles in this country that are maintained on a substitute prescription. Many of these people, such as myself carry out proffessional occupations & contribute to the communities they live in.

Surely these people cannot be described as hopeless & accussed of not trying. Some have tried 4-5 times to abstain from opiates, but for some reason or another have relapsed or just chosen to go " legit " with their habits & receive their medication through proper channels.

There is a place for heroin in this world, not only is it a powerful analgesic but it's a psychotropic drug & many use it for this reason. It shouldn't be distributed by dealers on street corners like you say, it should be distributed by GP's & other proffessionals.

I'm glad that you've found your place in life X5H3AD, but if you were like me & preferred to live your life while taking a legally prescribed opiate then bob would treat you like a bit of " sharn " that he scapes of his shoe.

Is an ex-user any better than a user bob ? They were still stoopid (your own words )enough to try an illeagal substance in the first instance.

Sorry op8s you keep claiming your a professional. I really would not want your professional help if your on drugs. In fact in lots of professions your addiction would disallow you from practicing. I take it you drive whilst on your drugs that is a crime by itself.

Sorry op8s you keep claiming your a professional. I really would not want your professional help if your on drugs. In fact in lots of professions your addiction would disallow you from practicing. I take it you drive whilst on your drugs that is a crime by itself.

I'm not " claiming " anything at all, I am just explaining that it is possible to live a quite normal life while at the same time being stable on a prescription provided legally either by your NHS GP, or private GP. As for driving the DVLA provides me with my licensce in full knowledge of the medication I am on as I have been stable on the same dose for several years & passed their medical which included drug-testing for any illicit drugs. Which of course I supplied them with negative test results. Of course if I hadn't informed the DVLA I would have been driving illeagaly with no insurance! Couldn't have that, could I ! A simple phone call to Swansea could have supplied you with that information. Your unacceptance that I am not in the gutter is a bit tedious to say the least. I'm not big on employment law, I'd imagine that because it's your medical records then you don't need to tell your employer ( though I did, much to their surprise ) but as it's a long as it's a medical issue & your not breaking any laws I think they would be hard pressed to fire you. Unless it was effecting your work, which substitution prescriptions don't. They allow the user to work, or at least get up of their arses & find work instead of getting themselves into a state with street drugs.

As for what my occupation is I will not be divulging that & if you ever do come into contact with me paulb you will not be able to distinguish me amongst any of the colleagues that I work with who hold me in high esteem, so I'm led to believe.

Anyway, I originally came on to post a link.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8393838/War-on-drugs-has-failed-say-former-head-of-MI5-CPS-and-BBC.html

Guest Anonymous

A QUITE NORMAL LIFE WHILE ON A PRESCRIPTION

get real you muppet a normal life is not one where you need to take a drug just to function.

And just think how many kids are reading this and might just be tempted to try smack, and are also naive enough to believe the bull you are writing, then decide to try it out on the strength of your posts. There will be some and I hope your proud of the influence you are having on Shetlands youth

Guest Anonymous
As for driving the DVLA provides me with my licensce in full knowledge of the medication I am on as I have been stable on the same dose for several years & passed their medical which included drug-testing for any illicit drugs. Which of course I supplied them with negative test results.

I've been prescribed opiates and the restrictions were driving or operating heavy machinery, and for bloody good reason too. So yet another of you statements fails to hold water.

get real you muppet a normal life is not one where you need to take a drug just to function.

And just think how many kids are reading this and might just be tempted to try smack, and are also naive enough to believe the bull you are writing, then decide to try it out on the strength of your posts. There will be some and I hope your proud of the influence you are having on Shetlands youth

So, you really think that will happen? You do not hold children in high esteem then and think them as brainless sheep. Get real and credit the youth with some intelligence.

These children are far better educated about the real world than you appear to be.

Hmm, name calling again.

Yet alcohol use among your youth is quite high.

It seems OK for children to partake in a drink but nothing else, yet we all know the widespread damage alcohol does.

Mearly suggesting that kids could be tempted as you do in your posts may be the trigger to send the Shetland Youth into opiate/cocaine/hash use.

Many millions of folk have to take some sorta drug for normal life, some cannot get the drug they need and buy it off the black market.

You also forget that, well, your research would have found this out, you can tell us about tolerances with drug taking and how the body adapts.

Folk have a sickness that causes them to do this. Some folk cannot help but be continually rude and require the mechanics of a forum to stop them spouting a stream of obscenities. That too could be seen as a problem.

You really need to look further into this than just spout hearsay and existing misconceptions. And dumbing down children.

it appears if your a user of heroin then you should not drive until a year of being free from it. however if its methadone and he is under a consultant then it seems they can. (taken from the dvla site)

I personally think this is still stupid even if it does not affect you the same as heroin it will affect you.

Unless you became an addict through medication IE serious injury. You would have had to break the law to get the drugs. As a professional how does that square up. If you profession is a front line one IE police,fire or health then your addiction would mean that you would no longer be fit to practice. Trying to use the disability discrimination law would fail.

even if your under control an addict is not acting the same as if they were free from the stuff. you say your stable and able to function so why are you not slowly reducing the amount. If your not then your an addict just as bad as those that get there drugs from the street.

Heavens above! So much pent up aggression, I don't know where to start...!?

Well done paulb for doing your own research on the subject & taking my advice on checking out the DVLA site. Though I'm not altogether sure that the warning on a box of pain-killers is more advice rather than law. Most of them say " Avoid Alcoholic drink & May cause drowsiness, which if affected do not drive or operate machinery ". I could easily be wrong, but with most painkillers dispensed by your GP the side-effects may only last a day or two before you feel able to drive & I know people on medication for pain that regularly drive. So I don't think driving under the influence of co-codamol or similar medication is illeagal. If so then I best phone my 70year old mother..fast!

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that my medication affects my driving when the DVLA GP says that I am fit to drive, you probably don't understand the pharmacology of the medication, how it works & how it affects my cognitive ability, it doesn't.

Also...right again paul, it was prescription painkillers that started my addiction which were prescribed in hospital after a surgical proceedure which immobilised me for some time.

To be quite honest & accurate addiction knows no barriers, I have communicated with university lecturers, nurses, lawyers who all choose to be maintained on a substitute prescriptions while carrying on with their work. In fact one GP told me that he had prescribed for a vicar & several policemen before. So as you can see addiction to opioids can affect not just " your " stereotypical idea of the unemployed hoodie who contributes nothing to society & just takes their dole money, but goes right to the top of society including every class.

Why should I reduce my dose ? Because you say ? Because my drug of choice is different to the majorities ? I will reduce my dose when I feel like it, if & when the time comes. Research shows that forcibly reducing a user, has a negative effect on the individual & also society. So for the time being I will stick to my substance of choice, a far safer option than alcohol as it does no damage whatsoever to any of your bodies organs. Which is more than we can say for booze and anyway I'm quite happy with my life the way it is. The medication doesn't make any difference to the way I function. Reducing my dose would though. Maybe you should look up the pharmacology of methadone to give you more of an insight ? Just an idea.

One question, why do you consider somebody on medication, legally dispensed, for a health condition as a criminal, or " no better than ". Personally I think I have quite high moral standards the only difference between you & me is that I try not to be judgemental.

Oh, & now bob....

Did you not see my post where I stated that I have never condoned the use of illicit drugs? Or is it easier just to pick out the bits you want to attack ?

Just exactly what is a normal life bob ? Is a normal life going to work, bringing up your kids, looking after your partner, taking part in community events, helping your next door neighbour or a stranger for that matter. If so then my life is very normal...all fun & no play makes jack a very dull boy indeed though. Would my life be any more normal if I went out a couple of nights a week & got hammered damaging my liver, killing countless braincells ? I prefer to stay in of a night with my partner, reading a book or watching a film since I don't drink & Sunday mornings are a pleasure( due to no hangover ) when all the family gets together for a meal, a bit of a catch up & games for the kids.

That's my life & it makes me very happy, especially the kids. It would be a very sad exsistence if we were all the same though. I welcome diversity in our society & try not to judge as I have mentioned before, somehow bob I think that the notion of diversity & individualism scares you deep down inside as you can't seem to accept any other views apart from your own. Maybe you can't help this though & it's a matter of intellect ( I apoligise if I offend your sensibilities ) but name-calling & posting mere opinion that is not based on any fact is something more akin to an arguement in a primary school playground.

P.S. Bring back the Muppet Show....superb TV !!

Guest Anonymous
So, you really think that will happen? You do not hold children in high esteem then and think them as brainless sheep. Get real and credit the youth with some intelligence.

So you think kids are not influenced by those around them, society, the media and turd they read on the internet etc etc. What planet are you on SP

Mearly suggesting that kids could be tempted as you do in your posts may be the trigger to send the Shetland Youth into opiate/cocaine/hash use.

yet again SP WTF

Many millions of folk have to take some sorta drug for normal life, some cannot get the drug they need and buy it off the black market

Exactly SP they have to take the drug because they are addicted

You really need to look further into this than just spout hearsay and existing misconceptions.

since when was first hand experience watching friends and family get addicted, lose their jobs, catch hepatitis and worse, overdose and die hearsay SP.

For that is my experience with smack and that is where it leads every time. and the likes of you trying to put me down because your bleeding heart wont let you accept reality, for 0P8S to spout turd on here that you can lead a normal life while addicted to a substance that serves no useful purpose is sprootle

^ Whilst the DVLA GP may have passed you as fit to drive, I'm a tad curious as to how your Insurers took it when you advised them of the name(s) of the medication you take.

Whilst I can appreciate (If I'm reading between the lines correctly here) that your body/mental state reaches the "norm" after taking your medication (and therefore isn't the "norm" without it), you are, nevertheless, driving under the influence of drugs albeit the influence is such as to achieve normality. And yes, I would warn your mother not to drive on painkillers!

This reminds me of a very dear friend who had a brain tumour which, for many years, was inoperable. He could drink far in excess of what other people could (For example, 15 pints and he would still be cold sober) due to the brain tumour affecting how his brain worked and other neurological factors. He did get stopped by the Police and nicked. Whilst having a very good barrister represent him in Court (In England in the days before the compulsory ban), he was still found guilty but received something stupid like a £10 fine. The Judge had no choice but to find him guilty as there was alcohol in his system.

That is the problem - the law, as far as I'm aware, does not make allowances and is a case of black/white - if you have a substance in your system whilst driving, that is the deciding factor; not the reason why it is in your system.

Guest Anonymous

I was also prescribe opiates very high dosage for months and the doc would still prescribe them if I wished. I realised i was addicted and stopped taking them cold. it was not pleasant the pain kicked back in big time and now 21 years later it is still there. i could choose to not work and even under the new rules would qualify for disability, how simple life would be kept by the state in an opiated stupor for the rest of my life fanbloodytastic :roll:

No I choose to get on with my life with out the painkillers. funny thing the body it will produce its own painkiller if you let it.

so when you say you were prescribed opiates for pain then chose to carry on taking it, I would counter that it was not much of a choice you are an addict and you will use any excuse with others and yourself for a reason to keep taking them.

What would happen to you if for some reason your supply ran dry, would you be much use to your family then laying in your own pish going cold turkey, I think not.

Really bob, that's a bit of a bolt out of the blue. You yourself were a legal addict & went " cold turkey " ( haven't heard that saying in years, so it was quite some time ago ) I'd of thought that you would be all in favour for those that need help in the form of medically obtained opioids rather than having to buy illicit substances in that case.

You talk of lying about in an opiate stupor. Did your GP grossly over-prescribe you with the medication, or did you get mixed up with your dose ? No GP that cares about thier reputation would prescribe such a high dose as to reduce thier patient into the state of " stupor " for fear of being struck off, unless maybe in pallative care. I do not know the in's & out's of your situation bob, the medication you were on & so I will not make comment.

I can empathise with going threw opioid withdrawl though bob after trying 3 serious home detoxes, the longest I lasted was 6 months. So maybe it wasn't a choice, there is strong evidence backed research which supports the thinking that addiction is a medical problem & should be treated as such. Something which I agree with if only to rid the streets of the black market. I imagine that you just think that I do not have the backbone to abstain from taking opioids. There's no accounting for taste, as SP said there aren't many in this world who abstain from all drugs whether they be legal or not & those that do have either learnt to abstain through personal experience, or prefer to overeat to the point where it is damaging to thier health. Everybody has a crutch of some sort, it's the in your face religous folk that scare me !

What we need is not to focus on the substances in question, history has showed us that prohabition just doesn't work ( did you read the link ? ). We need to educate our young folk on the difference between use & mis-use, because at the end of the day most people who want to take a substance out of curiosity, rebellion whatever the reason will. At least if they are educated properly about the possible outcomes, negative & positive ( for all drugs ) then any harm that may possibly come to them will be greatly reduced.