Paranormal Shetland

DarkstarIII

^^^^

Maybe I'm missing something contextual here.......but I just don't see what's strange about the photo above.

There's someone sitting in the back seat, and that's wierd because..........umm, can anyone enlighten me? :?

The Back Seat Ghost

Mrs. Mabel Chinnery was visiting the grave of her mother one day in 1959. She had brought along her camera to take photographs of the gravesite. After snapping a few shots of her mother's gravestone, she took an impromptu photo of her husband, who was waiting alone in the car. At least the Chinnerys thought he was alone.

When the film was developed, the couple was more than surprised to see a figure wearing glasses sitting in the back seat of the car. Mrs. Chinnery immediately recognized the image of her mother - the woman whose grave they had visited on that day. A photographic expert who examined the print determined that the image of the woman was neither a reflection nor a double exposure. "I stake my reputation on the fact that the picture is genuine," he testified.

I believe the good people at Kodak have also examined the original negative and said it hadn't been tampered with. Still way better than all the crappy orb photos that have been flying about. Just for the record i believe the photo is some sort of reflection, or an actual person sitting in the back of the car. Still spooky though

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even adopting the hypothesis that ghosts actually do exist, there is no reason to find them scary anyway, as they rarely seem to do any harm*.

If i took a picture of a car and there was a duck in the background i hadn't noticed , i wouldn't perceive that as scary. :wink:

(*if they exist)

A lot of people deal with the paranormal this way, they dont want to talk about it and brush it under the carpet, because to speak of it makes it real.. and maybe they dont want it to be real...

some things are just too horrific to be talked about.. as this makes them real and brings them to the here and now.

I remember the night that I saw that spirit in the photograph I felt sick! ..my brain was trying to come up with a rational explanation.. and I couldnt find any... I did experiments with breath, cigarette smoke.. etc and nothing could make it go into the shape of a skeleton.. so I said, oh well then must be a spirit.. and left it at that..

I have had loads of paranormal experiences.. I got up during the night once and went to the kitchen, opened the fridge and was taking out the container of milk, when the tv came on all by itself... and it was switched off, and not even on standby.. it was like a channel with bad reception and there was voices behind it, which I didnt concentrate on.. I just shat myself that the tv came on all on its own...

I switched it off... again .. made sure that the plug was out, and then went back in the kitchen and then went through to the bedroom.. lay down, half an hour later... tv came on again.. my boyfriend at the time didnt believe me the first time, he said what did you switch the tv on for, and I told him it wasnt me... so he didnt believe..

Then when I was sitting on the bed drinking my milk and we were talking and him saying that he thought that it was a prank.. the tv came on again, I dragged him through the sitting room so he could look at the fact that it wasnt plugged in ... anyone got an explanation for this???? we are talking about a 32" sony widescreen tv... unplugged and to make it all worse..

IT WAS FRIDAY THE 13TH...

:twisted:

Power cuts....or surges.

I came back more than once to my old flat to find my PC on and I'll admit that it scared the bejesus out of me. Then I was in the flat once when it happened...directly after a powercut.

As for the unplugged bit...well if that true, then it's certainly interesting. But if you believe the theory that ghosts/spirits need to draw alot of energy (draining batteries) to show any activity, I would hate to think what they would need to turn a TV on.

Please read again hun..... lol... THE TV WAS NOT PLUGGED IN!!!!

:D I just thought that I would drop these in here, for anyone you is interested in the Paranormal...

:D

For Equipment!

http://www.parascienceshop.com/

http://www.tomsgadgets.com

:D

http://www.paranormalfilms.co.uk

http://www.derekacorah.org/ (Really nice site.... although we all have our views on him!) :twisted:

http://www.iopr.org.uk/ Good site

http://www.strictlyparanormal.co.uk/

http://www.paranormality.com/

http://www.parascience.org.uk/articles/emf.htm

http://www.thesupernaturalworld.co.uk/

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A lot of people deal with the paranormal this way, they dont want to talk about it and brush it under the carpet, because to speak of it makes it real.. and maybe they dont want it to be real...

some things are just too horrific to be talked about.. as this makes them real and brings them to the here and now.

I remember the night that I saw that spirit in the photograph I felt sick! ..my brain was trying to come up with a rational explanation.. and I couldnt find any... I did experiments with breath, cigarette smoke.. etc and nothing could make it go into the shape of a skeleton.. so I said, oh well then must be a spirit.. and left it at that..

I have had loads of paranormal experiences.. I got up during the night once and went to the kitchen, opened the fridge and was taking out the container of milk, when the tv came on all by itself... and it was switched off, and not even on standby.. it was like a channel with bad reception and there was voices behind it, which I didnt concentrate on.. I just shat myself that the tv came on all on its own...

I switched it off... again .. made sure that the plug was out, and then went back in the kitchen and then went through to the bedroom.. lay down, half an hour later... tv came on again.. my boyfriend at the time didnt believe me the first time, he said what did you switch the tv on for, and I told him it wasnt me... so he didnt believe..

Then when I was sitting on the bed drinking my milk and we were talking and him saying that he thought that it was a prank.. the tv came on again, I dragged him through the sitting room so he could look at the fact that it wasnt plugged in ... anyone got an explanation for this???? we are talking about a 32" sony widescreen tv... unplugged and to make it all worse..

IT WAS FRIDAY THE 13TH...

:twisted:

Power cuts....or surges.

I came back more than once to my old flat to find my PC on and I'll admit that it scared the bejesus out of me. Then I was in the flat once when it happened...directly after a powercut.

As for the unplugged bit...well if that true, then it's certainly interesting. But if you believe the theory that ghosts/spirits need to draw alot of energy (draining batteries) to show any activity, I would hate to think what they would need to turn a TV on.

Please read again hun..... lol... THE TV WAS NOT PLUGGED IN!!!!

You're story doesn't state the TV was unplugged at first. It suggests that you unplugged it after it went on the first time. I'm sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick when I was simply reading what was on the damn page.

Well the photograph must be of some sort of manifestation taken at the chapel of rest (Goudies). I attach the best ghost photo of all time. Puts the turds up me every time 8O

http://paranormal.about.com/library/graphics/back_seat_ghost_lg.jpg

I could easily say that this pic is bollox and it is just someone sitting in the back seat... and taken at a different angle.. doesnt SUBSTANTIATE anything...

I’m glad to hear you say that. So why can’t you apply the same rational thinking to your own photographs and experiences.

If your televison was genuinely on and the plug was pulled out then I would class that as a genuine paranormal experience. However, you would have to rule out all other possibilities. For instance, did you pull out the correct plug etc, etc.

Before I get lambasted for being a cynic I would just like to say I have a genuine interest in the paranormal. I’ve spent two nights in the Edinburgh Vaults. Have been on all the ghost tours, stuck my hand in the hole in the wall at Mary King’s Close and my girlfriend lived for two years at Greyfriars “The most haunted place in the world†apparently. I also know Jan Andrew Henderson, the guy who wrote the book on the McKenzie poltergeist (amongst others). Bet you didn’t know he’s the same guy who runs the City of the Dead ghost tours.

I have yet to seen, heard or felt anything that I would say without doubt was paranormal. I genuinely want to believe, hence why I’ve sat in a dark vault all night on two separate occasions.

Just out of interest have you ever tried looking for EVP? (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) If you can catch it on tape it can be quite compelling and more difficult to refute than crappy orbs. I’m thinking of giving it a go soon. Apparently a minister in Shetland made a recording of himself playing on the church organ only for an unknown voice to appear on the tape!

Apparently a minister in Shetland made a recording of himself playing on the church organ only for an unknown voice to appear on the tape!

I suspect that this is the same phenomena as a double-exposure. A magnetic analogue tape can easily suffer from 'print through' and previous recordings can survive, overlayered with each other. Even reels stored side-by-side can interfere with each other so that sounds from one appear on the other.

Do these EVPs occur with such frequency (or at all) when using digital media?

Yes it appears on digital media as well. The interesting thing though is that there is sometimes intelligence behind the voices. You ask a question such as “What is your name†and you might get a reply like “Muckle Tammieâ€. The fact that there is this sign of intelligence means you can pretty much rule out stuff like your equipment picking up radio waves, overlaying etc.

I’m in no way saying this is proof of ghosts. For example the minister’s recording is probably just somebody passing by outside. I wasn’t there so I can’t say what type of environment the recording was captured in. Was the window open? Was he using an old tape which might cause overlaying? Just for the record I have never heard this tape but have been told of its existence. If anyone’s interested I can try and find out exactly what this “voice†said.

I’m not convinced by EVP but it’s definitely worthy of further investigation (even if to prove it’s a load of crap) and way better than pictures of dust reflecting off your camera’s flash.

The problem with all paranormal phenomenon is that it’s nigh on impossible to prove but that doesn’t mean it’s not interesting. The amount of posts by both camps on this forum is testimony to that. I think it would take me seeing a full apparition, witnessed by at least one other person, and caught on video camera to truly convince me. Even then I would check for a gas leak and send my Heinz mushroom soup for chemical testing.

Problem I have with EVP is the same I have with phenomena that can only be photographed: your equipment deals with frequencies you can perceive with your own eyes and ears, so why should this device pick up things you can't detect on your own?

By way of being a stirrer, the screen you are now looking at is flickering, really fast, but you're brain thinks it's a steady image. Take a photo of it and you'll find that all is not as it seems ....ooOOooh spooky!

:wink:

By way of being a stirrer, the screen you are now looking at is flickering, really fast, but you're brain thinks it's a steady image. Take a photo of it and you'll find that all is not as it seems ....ooOOooh spooky!

:wink:

:lol: Funny guy!

In this example it is the opposite way round; the screen is showing 'less' than I perceive. A camera shows a subset, not extra.*

You might be onto something though; a suitable filter might pick out things which were previously lost in the noise. This starts to sounds like a plausible thing to investigate.

*Besides... with a suitable refresh-rate and short enough shutter, you can photograph a screen pretty clearly... but that's just me being pedantic ;)