Paranormal Shetland

DarkstarIII

Problem I have with EVP is the same I have with phenomena that can only be photographed: your equipment deals with frequencies you can perceive with your own eyes and ears, so why should this device pick up things you can't detect on your own?

Isn't that comment a bit of a contradiction :D That's why it's interesting. The equipment is operating on the same frequency, yet you can't hear these sounds it appears to pick up.

Obviously it would have to be done in a highly controlled environment so you could rule out most logical explanations.

Wasn't there a film out about EVP a few year ago called White Noise? Never did see it. Might get the DVD out tonight

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that comment a bit of a contradiction :D

Not really, just badly worded perhaps. I am not trying to say that I have heard an example and am puzzled by the mechanism. It is merely my counter to the suggestion that such a phenomena exists at all.

I've yet to hear an example of even dubious veracity, let alone a convincing one...

We were discussing that film here earlier. I saw some trailers for it a while back and it looked interesting. Let me know if it's any good.

I have yet to seen, heard or felt anything that I would say without doubt was paranormal. I genuinely want to believe, hence why I’ve sat in a dark vault all night on two separate occasions.

I'm the opposite. Had a few "paranormal" experiences, but still a sceptic!

I'd agree with that.

One thing i'd like to clarify here. This thread is not specific to ghosts. We have a very good thread already devoted to that, In fact we have two, one devoted to some excellent ghost stories here and one general "spooks" discussion one.

I have yet to seen, heard or felt anything that I would say without doubt was paranormal. I genuinely want to believe, hence why I’ve sat in a dark vault all night on two separate occasions.

I'm the opposite. Had a few "paranormal" experiences, but still a sceptic!

Just to clarify i have had strange things happen but nothing that didn't have a rational explanation. Hence why i said "without doubt". For example we heard strange sounds in the vaults but came to the conclusion that it was either rodents, sounds from outside, or the other people on the vigil. Some sort of entity was the very last thing on the list of possibilities.

I believe I have seen a ghost in a photo before and if anyone has copy they can look themselves. It was at the unveiling of the Leirna at Bressay when she took over fae the Grima. Everyone was on deck getting their photo taken but there was someone up in the bridge who is no longer with us as I say if anyone knows of someone that has a copy they can check it out themselves.

:D Cool.... here's one of the pictures that was taken when on Vigil to the Kirk O Shotts in Lanarkshire Scotland.

Ectoplasm and plenty orbs...

My husband was acting very weirdly on Halloween night and his eyes had a strange look. Do you think he could have been in touch with spirits?

:D Cool.... here's one of the pictures that was taken when on Vigil to the Kirk O Shotts in Lanarkshire Scotland.

My husband was acting very weirdly on Halloween night and his eyes had a strange look. Do you think he could have been in touch with spirits?

Was that in the photos or was that normally, cause if it was photos its just what happens with cameras I have plenty pics like that of people that actually look as though they are possessed.. most of my mates actually! hahahahaha a few have a touch of the "red eye" permanently :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

Was that in the photos or was that normally, cause if it was photos its just what happens with cameras I have plenty pics like that of people that actually look as though they are possessed.. most of my mates actually! hahahahaha a few have a touch of the "red eye" permanently :wink: :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted:

LOL. Not sure if you spotted the joke. Some of the stuff spouted in this thread re photos, etc is just downright bunkum. > Ectoplasm and orbs? Balls, yes! I think most of the people involved in this kind of stuff can be divided into two camps - the deluded and the charlatans. > Whatever turns you on. Each to his own. Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same? Thanks for the fun! :lol:

• 1 month later...

:lol: And of course you are entitled to your opinion... as is everyone... There is no hard and fast rule that says that everyone must believe in the paranormal its relative to each individual.. and their beliefs and previous experiences.

Just because we cant see something, it doesnt mean to say that it isnt there... A lot of it I would say could be "mind tricks" ... Being out in the dark is spooky enough especially if in secluded location or in graveyards, or known "haunted locations". It is very easy for the mind to play tricks and for us to think that every noise, whistle on the wind, or hair raised on the back of our necks is something to do with the paranormal. Being able to distinguish which is which, is in fact quite difficult, but makes for an interesting life.

When we were children, we believed in santa claus... (lol, some still do).. or in fact faeries... so just because we cant see them... does it mean that they arent in fact real? WHO KNOWS!!! and that ... is the exciting part!

But now that I am in shetland, its a very interesting place.. I wouldnt say that I have come across anything spooky yet as it were.. I read with interest the other thread about haunted places and noted them down so that I can remember if I am ever driving past these places just to be aware. But alas on saying that, just because I dont sense or feel anything doesnt mean that whoever posted about them is talking boll*cks... I shall keep an open mind! I might come across something and there again I might not...

But it would be interesting to know of more places that are open to the public that can be visited. Anyone think that Jarlshof is haunted?

When we were children, we believed in santa claus... (lol, some still do).. or in fact faeries... so just because we cant see them... does it mean that they arent in fact real? WHO KNOWS!!! and that ... is the exciting part!

But they aren't real... Sorry I couldn't help in saying that!

Nah I don't think Jarlshof is haunted but it's definetly worth going there! Ask for a torch and a key to the tunnel... there used to be two, don't know what happened to the other one. (Don't go down if you get claustraphobic though, it's kind of tight getting into and out of the tunnel)

If such a thing as "spirits" of long dead people who are not resting peacefully do exist, and can be detected in some way by the living. I would expect to find them lurking among the bruks of some of the many vodd houses that litter this countryside.

Many of those were vacated due to some tragedy befalling the final occupants, most commonly breadwinner(s) lost at sea and such, multiple members perishing from an illness epidemic, evictions (sometimes by force) by greedy landlords etc... If anyone has good cause and a "right" to cling, even in death, to the haunts of life, it surely must be these people. Yet almost none of these places have reputations for such things, to the best of my knowledge.

If such a thing as "spirits" of long dead people who are not resting peacefully do exist, and can be detected in some way by the living. I would expect to find them lurking among the bruks of some of the many vodd houses that litter this countryside.

Many of those were vacated due to some tragedy befalling the final occupants, most commonly breadwinner(s) lost at sea and such, multiple members perishing from an illness epidemic, evictions (sometimes by force) by greedy landlords etc... If anyone has good cause and a "right" to cling, even in death, to the haunts of life, it surely must be these people. Yet almost none of these places have reputations for such things, to the best of my knowledge.