Council Debt

Colin

https://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2021/08/18/council-lurching-into-a-crisis-duncan-says

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has commented on this.!!

Mr Duncan might be marmite to some people, but at least he tries to make a difference.

I wonder when the SIC might try and do what most locals seem to be doing....  LIVING WITHIN THEIR MEANS....  although, after so many years of above inflation rent increases, a large number of council tennants appear to be struggling to do so.

Ultimately, the SIC's debt is OUR debt.  When is the next election ?

^If they had sold the bus station instead of giving it away, the S.I.C's financial situation wouldn't be quite so bad, and then the supposed crisis would be a bit easier to solve.

The S.I.C. is the S.I.C. is the S.I.C. though. They look after their friends, or so I believe.

The Scottish local elections are scheduled be held on Thursday 5 May 2022.

The problem the SIC has managing its finances is that we grew used to the services that were affordable when it had loads of money. The councillors are terrified of cutting services in case they are voted out and the officials want to hold onto their jobs.

I think that the whole problem the SIC has managing it's finances is that it can't.

Their whole approach to the problem seems to be a smoke and mirrors excercise.

eg;

Lets save some money by closing the Bus Waiting Faciity, some Public Toilets, the pensioners Lunch Club etc..   What happened to the staff?  did they get re-deployed?  If so, then I fail to see where they saved any money.  It was nothing more than a paper excercise.

As for councillors who are afraid to address the problem(s) in case they get voted out  I would suggest that, if this is the case, they do not deserve to be councillors in the first place, and that they should be voted out.  It's not a popularity contest.

As for the officials, if they cannot do their jobs properly, then they should be booted out and repaced with people who can deliver.

On 29/08/2021 at 14:38, George. said:

The S.I.C. is the S.I.C. is the S.I.C. though. They look after their friends, or so I believe.

They have friends......who knew.

There can't be many of those left by now, I thought they'd just about managed to seriously piss off everybody in some way at some time or other and it was an exclusive mutual back stabbing slapping club these days. Kinda like the Masons, but much worse, and in public.