Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

Another tip for any phone issues.. is plug a normal phone into the master socket adn if it is stil dead you know the issue is external ( bt fault and is up to them to fix )i f you can get a dial tone you know the issue is internal ( inside your house and your own issue to fix. )

I should maybe elaberate a little more.. the master socket has a cover on it.. if you unscrew that cover you wil find another socket.. thats the socket you want to plug your phone into.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a call from someone in Sandwick today, a BT Broadband customer, who is also having routing problems. Sounds to me as if it isn't a problem with your lines it is a serious routing issue somewhere within BT. Has anybody run any traceroutes at the time that they have been having problems?

In Windows go to Start > Run > type in 'cmd' (without the apostrophes) and hit enter

Type in 'tracert ' and press Enter.

e.g.

C:>tracert amazon.com

The results should show whether it is getting beyond BT's servers or not.

No..no...no....I'm in the process of getting all this sorted with Vijay...he is telling me that all my problems will be solved if I move my router further away from my computer. Aparently its an electrostatic problem...

Isn't it amazing that we've all adopted this electrostatic problem at the same time!!! :lol:

I agree with that (Pooks), it's not the lines, it's a server/router/whatever issue. The times it works it's lightning fast, when it doesn't it's just not connecting to anything at all.

The phone works fine and, once connected, we managed a lengthy videocall earlier, no probs, it seems to be that the majority of attempts at URLs are being blocked by a fault of some kind, almost as if the service has been massively reduced and BT's router is cycling between customer connections, or it's like a lucky dip whether your traffic gets through at any given time. It's not slow, it's either on or off, it seems.

The nearest i get to finding humour in this, is to say, if i were to cycle between shetlink users tonight, i would get there before a BT connection did.

No reply from the online feedback service yet, not even an acknowledgement. [**self-moderation - swear words stifled**]

7 mins to submit this and counting....... :(

Vijay seems to have given up on me and Rakeshs has taken over the reigns...

Aparently he too is convinced that it is an electrostatic problem. I now have to move my router on to a wooden surface 2 feet from the computer and all will be well....

Oh wait....

He says I'm to switch off all my antivirus protection and connect the router directly to wall socket without the microfilter.....(how is that possible?)

mmmh....pc connected to internet without any antivirus.....i'll give it maybe a whole 10 minutes before I get at least half a dozen attacks....

^ Stat i heard was 20 seconds before infection Marvin^ :wink:

I'm hoping not to have to speak to the call centre again, but if anyone else is intending to, should we emphasise to them that they must report this to their technicians, and not regard this as a whole heap of individual problems which mysteriously occurred simultaneously. It bothers me that the guys we are speaking to may have no actual connection to any technical staff, in which case we have all wasted our time completely talking to them, if you see what i mean.

^ Stat i heard was 20 seconds before infection Marvin^

PC Format did a test a couple of months ago with a totally unprotected laptop on the web. They got 1/2 an hour of surfing before the computer was rendered totally unuseable.

As far as broadband service goes, I have noticed a bit of a slowdown recently,but nothing that logging off and back on again doesn't fix. I am with TalkTalk rather than BT tho'. I ditched BT as soon as my contracted year was up because they were quick enough to cut their prices for new customers but refused to cut my bill. I still get junk mail from them begging me to come back but all this palaver just makes me glad I jumped when I did. :wink:

Mind you, TalkTalk's customer service is no better. The same barely english literate Indian call centre. They are probably ok with Oxford/BBC english, but toss a regional accent (let alone a dialect) their way and you have garuanteed mutual incomprehension. :(

^ Stat i heard was 20 seconds before infection Marvin^ :wink:

I'm hoping not to have to speak to the call centre again, but if anyone else is intending to, should we emphasise to them that they must report this to their technicians, and not regard this as a whole heap of individual problems which mysteriously occurred simultaneously. It bothers me that the guys we are speaking to may have no actual connection to any technical staff, in which case we have all wasted our time completely talking to them, if you see what i mean.

I don't know about you nice chaps but my BT connection seems to have gotten back on the rails after being totally awful for a week. Obviously I have exchanged kind words with Rajeesh and some random lass.

Marvin, it's not electrostatic problems you silly sausage OR anti-virus. It's your firewall and your microfilter! You see. ALL our microfilters have broken down at exactly the same time. Rumour has it the microfilter fairy is on vacation and has stopped protecting the Shetland microfilters for the past month. So yes, there's nothing BT can do. We can just hope that changing our settings entices the fairy back - even if that means physically moving your router around the house

No reply from the online feedback service yet, not even an acknowledgement. [**self-moderation - swear words stifled**]

Just so you know, I have tried contacting BT using numerous methods with varying tones of happiness through to downright displeasure and have never received one reply yet. Don't hold yer breath.

I read on the adslguide forums a few months back that a BT helpdesk person had suggested that Christmas lights could be affecting the connection.

This was in April.

You may think that sounds stupid - but from what I've seen this year, it wont be long before people start putting their Christmas lights up in April.