Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Marvin, it's not electrostatic problems you silly sausage OR anti-virus. It's your firewall and your microfilter! You see. ALL our microfilters have broken down at exactly the same time. Rumour has it the microfilter fairy is on vacation and has stopped protecting the Shetland microfilters for the past month. So yes, there's nothing BT can do. We can just hope that changing our settings entices the fairy back - even if that means physically moving your router around the house

:lol: :lol:

Well the microfilter fairy is back on duty! My connection was flying last night. I didn't do a speed check but it seemed much faster than before.

I thought the connection was running a bit better yesterday, especially after Mario saying it was fine, so to double-check i de-powered the router (as was recommended in a previous discussion with BT months ago) and lo and behold my connection is back to normal and running fine.

*phew*

Just when I thought this bout of BT incompetency was finished...

Received a phone call at 9am this morning (not pleased).

-------------------------

BT India: "Hello Mr Mario, we are calling about you BTBroadband problem"

Me: "Yeah, it's already fixed.. thanks for that"

BT India: "Are you at your computer?"

Me: "Errr no, but I could be".

BT India: "Have you checked that your ADSL line is plugged into your router?"

Me: "Yes. but it's all working fine now"

BT India: "Ah I see, can you please make sure this is the case and tell me if there is any problems.."

Me: "There isn't any problems, nobody in my area is having problems anymore - your engineers must've fixed the problem"

BT India: "Hmm, ok is your ADSL line plugged into your master socket?"

Me: "Yes!! It is and everything is working fine, there is no problem, the connection is fine!"

BT India: "There should be two screws in your master socket, unscrew them and plug the line directly into the socket. This could be the root of your problems"

Me: "Listen, I have NO problems. The connection is fine."

BT India: "Are you near your computer? Check that the ADSL light is solid.."

Me: *hang up*

-------------------------

What an absolute joke.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's excellent! Guess what? I got an email form the online complaint section this morning too, thanking me for my complaint and issuing a complaint number. Four days after i completed the online complaint form.

I'm tempted to go back to the service and complain about the time taken to respond to my complaint......wait, that could get entirely out of hand. :? "Yes it's me again, complaining about my complaint about my complaint...etc"

The planning stage for the Faroese cable is now at an advanced stage and it is likely to be operational within 12 months if all goes to plan. If ForoyaTele were to offer domestic broadband to Shetland customers, how many of you would change from BT?

I would if I was sticking around here for that long. I'm fed up with our downtime and the downright ignorance of the staff.

Better the devil you know? I'd be worried if I had technical problems (like those we've just experienced with BT) - would a Faroese ISP be any better at dealing with it? I know BT can be rubbish - but at least I know where I am with them.

Moved from another thread:

been keeping an eye on the broadband thread ( and this might get moved there ) but one question that constantly springs to mind is...

Why choose BT as your Broadband provider.. evryoen i know who has used them has had nothing but stress with them..

I pay slightly over the odds to go with Pipex £22 a month for 2mb connection if i wasnt so lazy i could up that to 8mb.. but for the year and a bit ive been with them ive never been cut off apart from once at about 2am when i should really of been going to bed anyway.. the connection has been solid as a slab of granite.

Sounds bit of a sale pitch for pipex i know. but my point being there are so many good providers out there.. why do people feel compeled to go with bt?

The only money i let bt get a hold of directly from me is my quarterly charge.. and that it..

I moved to BT from Demon a month ago. Since the switch my download speed has quadrupled. (Demon wouldn't admit there was a problem.) I also now get free VOIP calls. And I might consider BT Vision if my broadband speed will handle it. So for me, it was the extras that I wanted really.

I pay slightly over the odds to go with Pipex

Slightly compared to BT, who are expensive. Significantly over compared to other providers. I pay about £15 per month for what averages out at about 4mbit. This includes weekend and evening calls.

Haven't had a problem with my connection since it was upgraded to this speed.

I pay slightly over the odds to go with Pipex

Slightly compared to BT, who are expensive. Significantly over compared to other providers. I pay about £15 per month for what averages out at about 4mbit. This includes weekend and evening calls.

Haven't had a problem with my connection since it was upgraded to this speed.

you cut my quote off to early.. i said if i wasnt "lazy" i could get it up to 8mb.. weather that be with pipex or another provider :P