Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

My BT Broadband speeds have dropped to a third of my normal since the weekend. Other techie forums have suggested BT are decreasing bandwidth for some to ensure BT Vision runs smoothly for those that have it. I'm not convinced. Does anyone here have BT Vision yet? I registered an interest months ago. I had an email from BT saying it wasn't available to me yet and they didn't know when it would be.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if it's available here yet, but I see that to access the Freeview channels via the box, you would need Freeview reception. You also won't be able to use BT Vision's recording function or pause/rewind Freeview TV unless you have Freeview reception. Seems like there are lots of areas

It seems that if you can't receive Freeview, you can still access BT Vision's on demand programming.

http://www.btvision.bt.com/btvision/aboutHome.do?action=whatuneed&secondLevel=whatuneed

• 1 month later...
Guest Pronto

Christ almighty! Folk complainin aboot a 2 meg bband connection, you dunna need any higher than 2, even if you are illeagly doonloadin Borat. I see all broadband seems to do is turn aabody intae impatient whinin brutes.The link with faroe widna speed wis up as BT provide a service maximum of 8meg already, an upgrade of exchanges and a few boosters here an there would do it...wan final ting... All Foula inhabitants can had der wheesht, no joost aboot bband but aboot aathing in general, you already hook yersells up tae da school generator fir FREE...i dislike you all unconditionally, except i did experience the hottest day in a long time there a few years ago... 26.5 degrees!!!

All Foula inhabitants can had der wheesht, no joost aboot bband but aboot aathing in general, you already hook yersells up tae da school generator fir FREE...i dislike you all unconditionally, except i did experience the hottest day in a long time there a few years ago... 26.5 degrees!!!

You surely wouldn't be suggesting you found Foula something akin to hell would you? :wink:

Just to stir the pot again.....

I have BT Total Broadband with the Home Hub and Broadband Phone. I pay £22 p/m for *up to 8Mbps broadband with *unlimited use.

They advertise shetland's maximum download speed as 5Mbps. The fastest download speed I have measured was around 3000Kbps and the fastest upload speed was around 800Kbps this was in the afternoon. I don't think I should be paying £22 a month for that, but they've prob got out of that with *up to 8mb.

BT could use a bit more bandwidth in shetland because the number of users on after 6 slows the whole show down.

Fine and handy to have phone and broadband bills in one neat package though.

Aah, handiness. Wouldst that i had sought more than handiness. I know someone in Lerrick who is paying for 8mb BT and reckons it rarely passes 2mb.

I wouldn't recommend BT now, it's not been an easy ride*. :(

*There's a joke in there somewhere.... :?

Aah, handiness. Wouldst that i had sought more than handiness. I know someone in Lerrick who is paying for 8mb BT and reckons it rarely passes 2mb.

I wouldn't recommend BT now, it's not been an easy ride*. :(

*There's a joke in there somewhere.... :?

lol I wonder where ;)

• 1 month later...

I'd like to devote a whole thread to this, though my mod colleagues would come down on me instantaneously! I've also considered staring a web page devoted to it, but i think there is one already out there.

BT total broadband.

BT total nightmare.

I wouldn't recommend BT to anyone, for anything at this stage in time. The old adage refers to organising piss-ups in breweries, well it would seem BT are unable to organise a dsl connection in a telephone exchange, to coin a phrase.

I am at the wrong end of 2+ month of intermittent connection, which is now all but unusable, during which time i have been through the technical support system to the tune of over eight hours of telephone time, and during which i have lost the ability to use their stupid BBV free calls set-up and have had to reroute my DSL cables (though there's nothing wrong with the old ones), replace micro-filters (yup, nowt wrong there either), reconfigure my mac (guess what? Nope not that either) reconfigure my PC, (nope) disconnect everything and reconnect it after powering everything down ( i did this daily, sometime hourly for a while, until it got too sickening) dismantle my wall socket, to use the direct socket, which made no difference, other than to look crap, etc etc.

During all of this i have been bounced from one section to another of the indian call centre, all of whom have claimed to have solved my problem, and some of whome have denied that the previous solution was correct. I have been cut off, i have had my case closed on every occasion, though the fault persists (which i now understand is down to call-centre success statistics)

I have had engineers at the house twice, after being told by an indian that there was definitely a line fault, then the engineers have tested the line and then the internet connection found it to be okay, after which i received a call from india telling me that the engineer had done work on the exchange which had solved my problem......which it hadn't. :(

From analysis of all this, it now seems the it may all be down to the router, which one operative confirmed was dodgy weeks ago, and then passed me onto 'orders' to get a new one, and the 'orders' guy then informed me that there was nothing wrong with the one i have, so i couldn't get a new one, and by the way "it's not out of warranty"...

Three phone calls later "it is under warranty, so we'll send you a new one, but first you must borrow a router from someone perhaps a neighbour, to test the connection, and if it works then we will send a new one"

(whuh?)

Then, after losing it with them, i was eventually told eight days ago that i would be sent a new router, nothing fancy mind, just a replacement for the old one (Voyager 210V), which i would receive within 3-5 working days....

....nope nothing. (Tonight i called them again to be informed that 'due to an administrative error' it has not been sent, but it will be sent within 3-5 working days. :grrr:

I have tried being nice, being angry, threatening legal action, threatening closure of my account, i have tried everything, and all i've got in return is "Thank you fir choosing BT total broadband" at the end of each call.

That's a brief account of a ridiculous catalogue of incompetence and poor customer service. Choose life, choose anything but BT. :(

Told Ya! :wink:

I had a conversation the other day with someone who had recently bought a new PC, ordered broadband and were looking forward to browsing the web at a decent speed. When they got their router, it showed no signs of life. No lights, nothing. They phoned the wonderful helpline (his words, "I'm not racist but..."). They then instructed him that it was a corrupt disk and they would send him a new one...

My response was that it would be the same as buying a television, it not switching on, showing lights etc...and the electrician recommending you to replace the batteries in your remote control.

Sheer incompetence.

Last I heard, Sky couldn't offer their broadband package here as they use LLU (Local Loop Unbundling), which means that they have to install their own (or their providers) kit in to the exchanges. Something that is unlikely to happen here due to the population.

This may have changed since then though. Best to check.