Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

We've been with Plusnet since broadband became available in August 2005 and can't say we have had any problems with them. Very good speeds, Quite often watch downloads coming in at about 800kps! Support are pretty quick too.

Yes....but......http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39284743,00.htm

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eegads! That's news to me. Been a PlusNET customer for a long time now and have recommended them to many, I noticed that they have recently changed their packages for new customers and it doesn't seem to be such a good deal.

It does seem to be BT's policy. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. They fairly recently acquired Dabs.com as well.

It does seem to be BT's policy. If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. They fairly recently acquired Dabs.com as well.

8O

It's like some sort of horror movie scenario from where i'm standing! Coupled with Islandhopper's predicted deluge of calls, which i fear he is correct about.

God forbid BT, Tesco and Walmart ever join forces, we're doomed, doomed i tell yee!

:wink:

^^ that's the day I move to the little house on the prairie well little house in the middle of no where. there is nothing in this world that would make me move to america.. other than some form of nuclear radiation.. no even then I think I may prefer to live in a bunker till i die..

sorry for the offtopic ramblings..

I'm still very happy with Pipex services despite paying over the odds, but I dont want anyone to sign up with them as it could end up nerfing my connection ;) :P

I'm still very happy with Pipex services despite paying over the odds, but I dont want anyone to sign up with them as it could end up nerfing my connection ;) :P

Yeah, we're about to move into zippy fast lane Pipex with 'up to' 8meg so have just signed up for another year. Will be interesting to see what speed we get..

I changed to talktalk from BT about a year ago. The speed is nothing special, 2.2Mb when it's supposed to be "up to 8Mb", but the service has been reliable. Their free broadband isn't available up here as the local exchange hasn't been unbundled yet so it costs £10/month together with approximately £20/month for phone calls (£11 for the BT line and £9 for the talktalk package). You get free landline calls to anywhere in the EU.

They did have a problem with too much demand when they introduced the free broadband offer last year but I would assume that's all sorted now ( I haven't heard anything on the News about it anyway)

Still a turd Indian call centre tho' but thankfully I have only had to use the helpline once. :wink:

Still a turd Indian call centre tho' but thankfully I have only had to use the helpline once.

Had to phone them a couple of month ago. My DSL socket is still red raw and I cry myself to sleep, knowing some day I will have to return there if I cant get the online free calls number working again.

Well.....brace yourselves.....my new router arrived today after four months of rubbish, truly rubbish diagnostic call centre tick box procedural sh*te! Eight hours worth of phone calls to india with no result, only further frustration. Threaten to leave, get british tech call centre, new router arrives in two days with clear discussion of my complaints record and no diversionary 'success-rate-target' fob off.

If anybody from BT ever reads this, you seriously want to reconsider how your far eastern centre 'incentive schemes' work. When i get a call back from an operative two minutes after registering a fault to be asked if they can give me a service request number and close my case, which they will re-open when i call back and quote the number,"promise", it is a damning reflection of the system their operatives are working under.

Anyway, tonight my axe has been hung back on the wall and away from the grinder and the whole house is vibrating to my LTJ Bukem station on Pandora for the first time in months, by way of a celebration.

I might even have a look at youtube again, it too has been unservicable with all this crap.......hmmm, skype can come back too, along with the BT Talk.......6 Music....... and then, and then...deep breath and relax. :)

ps anyone know how i can hack the settings of the modem to get 8mb while paying for 2, plus a higher upstream speed would be nice. :P

hmmmm LJ Buken drooolll,,, shame my computer doesn't have enough memory to play music and play online games :(

I could be wrong but it think all the speed restrictions are done server side. so pretty hard to hack.. but if you find an solution pls let me know.