Broadband provision and service in Shetland

Njugle

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very over ambitious considering Mid Yell was only enabled for electricity last month :D

Like I said, the estimations come from BT. If any of you have had dealings with these wonderful people then you will know that it is more than likely to be scheduled for 2010 which means we will see it sometime before our great grandchildren join us.

Guest Anonymous

It was great living on Burra in July 2004. Hamnavoe was activated at the same time as Lerwick by accident.

One of the few times I have praised living in Burra

I know BT are useless, but I cant imagine they "accidently" enabled Burra.

I heard somewhere that the Burra exchange was newer and was easier to upgrade?

The story that I heard (from a fairly reliable source) was that BT had given somebody/people in the Hamnavoe exchange area activation dates and basically made such a cock-up that it was just as easy to enable the exchange than it was to sort out the cock-up. Something like that anyway. The Sumburgh exchange was the first in Shetland to reach the trigger level yet had to wait for a bunch of other exchanges to be activated. :(

The Sumburgh exchange was the first in Shetland to reach the trigger level yet had to wait for a bunch of other exchanges to be activated. :(

Was there any truth in the story that did the rounds when Broadband came online first, that it could only get as far as the E/W runway stoplights at Hayes, Scatness and beyond had to do without, because of the condtion of the old underground cables the Exchange at Turnie Brey didn't have the power to push it any further. Or was that another alcohol fuelled malicious rumour born in Faulty Towers or the Boating Club of a Fri/Sat night?